Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 09:14 AM   #706
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I seem to remember some chatter about Amazon buying some technology called LiquaVista or some such. What ever happened with that?

Not that it will happen, but how shocking would it be if Amazon announced a new Oasis with a LiquaVista screen? (At least maybe I'll generate a GoodeReader story for them.)
My mistake. Amazon did not by Mirasol. Amazon expressed interest in Mirasol and was going to be a big customer if it happened.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #707
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mistake. Amazon did not by Mirasol. Amazon expressed interest in Mirasol and was going to be a big customer if it happened.
Amazon bought Liquavista electrowetting displays from Samsung who bought it from Phillips, and then shelved it to never see the light of day. Etulipa is another manufacturer who produces EWD panels and the technology looks promising.

Mirasol interference displays were developed by Qualcomm, but the last update was that Apple had taken over the lab in Taiwan but nothing came of it due Apple refocusing on OLED & micro-LED instead.

I think eInk has their hooks in too deep into the e-reader industry for manufacturers to make the switch.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #708
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I seem to remember some chatter about Amazon buying some technology called LiquaVista or some such. What ever happened with that?
That's the one I knew about. No doubt they'd have had to find someone to make it and I suspect it it was tax deductible loss. Also likely they get a better price from E Ink Corp than say Meebook or Bigme. Buried a long time ago. Does Amazon have any assets other than datacentres, offices, warehouses and R&D groups like Lab126 (who outsource Kindle production). The Amazon branded products are all OEM buyin?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:26 PM   #709
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
After Amazon purchased LiquaVista from Samsung in 2013, they didn't seem to do much with the technology and then made an announcement in 2018 that LiquaVista had been shut down. See Nate Hoffelder's Exclusive: Amazon Has Shut Down Liquavista for a bit more.

Quote:
Not that it will happen, but how shocking would it be if Amazon announced a new Oasis with a LiquaVista screen? (At least maybe I'll generate a GoodeReader story for them.)
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:47 PM   #710
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Amazon bought Liquavista electrowetting displays from Samsung who bought it from Phillips, and then shelved it to never see the light of day. Etulipa is another manufacturer who produces EWD panels and the technology looks promising.
Not sure if I would describe a technology that currently has 10mm (0.39") pixels so about 2.5 pixels per inch and a panel size that has a diagonal of 62.6cm (24.6") as promising. Even with the promised 2.5mm pixels (~10DPI), the resolution is far too low. In contrast, a 300 DPI display has approximately 11.8 pixels/mm (0.085mm pixels). But then Etulipa is showing their displays for billboard use with a >10m viewing distance.

Quote:
What is the size of an Etulipa full-color EW-panel?

An Etulipa full color EW-panel is 45cm W x 43,5cm H (edge included)
Resolution: 44 W x 42 H pixels

What is the pixel size of Etulipa’s full color EWD?
10mm

Last edited by DNSB; 04-17-2024 at 12:54 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2024, 01:50 PM   #711
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if I would describe a technology that currently has 10mm (0.39") pixels so about 2.5 pixels per inch and a panel size that has a diagonal of 62.6cm (24.6") as promising. Even with the promised 2.5mm pixels (~10DPI), the resolution is far too low. In contrast, a 300 DPI display has approximately 11.8 pixels/mm (0.085mm pixels). But then Etulipa is showing their displays for billboard use with a >10m viewing distance.
And colour, other than subtractive panels like ACeP, needs either 0.042 mm for 2 x 2 colour or 0.028 x 0.085 for 3 x1 colour (stripe filters) for 300 ppi

Even pretty ancient SD TV was about 0.43mm, about 36x pixels in same space (inc R G B sub pixels) as Etulipa

Posters, shop displays and billboards, and only if cheap.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:53 AM   #712
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Fair point on the DPI which I missed. I saw a YouTube demo of an Etulia panel playing video at 25fps and was impressed far too easily.

Also, whatever happened to Display Electronic Slurry e-Papers? I belive they were quite hyped up 2 years back to be a solid alternative to eInk, but then faded into obscurity.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:33 AM   #713
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
And by repairability, if they mean an SD card with easy removal, the move from Clara HD to Clara BW is going to be really difficult to resist.
According to goodereader (I know, I know …) they don't have a removable SD card (link, last bullet).
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:12 AM   #714
xyclonei
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
According to goodereader (I know, I know …) they don't have a removable SD card (link, last bullet).
Major disappointment if true, but I'll hold on to a tiny glimmer of hope until someone does a teardown video to crush my soul.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:07 AM   #715
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I broke down last evening and pre-ordered a Libra Colour and sleep cover. It felt weird though to be ordering just one device, and for myself and not for my now deceased wife

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:26 AM   #716
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I broke down last evening and pre-ordered a Libra Colour and sleep cover. It felt weird though to be ordering just one device, and for myself and not for my now deceased wife
You could always get one for her, too, and if you observe any phantom presses on the device, then you know she is enjoying it!

(For real, though, I'm sorry for your loss.)
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:28 AM   #717
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:

Oh… My condolences.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:36 PM   #718
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

So sorry for you X. I'm sure she would have loved to have a Libra Colour.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:48 PM   #719
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It would have joined her collection of eReaders. I've forgotten what exactly she had but I'm sure there was a Sage and at least longer other in regular usage along with a Kindle of some type. Unfortunately I then had a major house fire a month and a half after her passing and lost everything!

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:09 PM   #720
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

Sorry Peter, I'm sure she would have enjoyed the novelty.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote