Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Auzern
Auzern began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation eReader for colored PDF

I'm very much interested in buying a eReader.

I want an eReader that can read colored PDF files or all types of PDF files.
I do not have internet access or 3g where I stay so these features are not necessary. I have a bundle of PDF files and I just want them to be viewable on the device.
My budget is 100$ to 300$
Auzern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given your budget, a netbook is your best choice by far. If you had a larger budget, I would have recommended an iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Auzern

Thanks for the reply HarryT.
I have seen a few on the internet but I just want the ebook reader to read the colored PDF files in black white if possible..
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
There IS a reader that is specifically made for PDFs. I saw it at Fry's the other day. It's called the eSlick ebook Reader with Foxit Pro pack and 2GB SD card for $239. I've used Foxit on my computers and it's easily the best PDF reader out there barring Adobe's (fast and lightweight, too). You should research and check this one out.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
majidbhurgri
Enthusiast
majidbhurgri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60, Kindle3/3G
I believe most of the eBook readers have basic PDF support and can display colors in various shades of gray. What you may want to check (depending of course on your needs) are the zoom capability, layout, re-flow of text etc. which vary from device to device.

For color viewing, netbook is most robust solution, (as rightly suggested by Harry) but these days you can get these new colored TFT screen 7" eBook readers from China (check eBay listings) for anywhere between $125 to $175, which have Android or Linux OS, and are feature rich. Personally I don't like reading for longer spells of time on such backlit devices, but for viewing PDF I believe they should be an alternative worth considering.

Last edited by majidbhurgri; 06-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.
majidbhurgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Auzern

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
There IS a reader that is specifically made for PDFs. I saw it at Fry's the other day. It's called the eSlick ebook Reader with Foxit Pro pack and 2GB SD card for $239. I've used Foxit on my computers and it's easily the best PDF reader out there barring Adobe's (fast and lightweight, too). You should research and check this one out.
Oh yes, I came to know about eSlick ebook Reader too. Its exactly what I was looking for. I've been using their Foxit PDF Software since a few years and they have never let me down. So this is one company that I can trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidbhurgri View Post
I believe most of the eBook readers have basic PDF support and can display colors in various shades of gray. What you may want to check (depending of course on your needs) are the zoom capability, layout, re-flow of text etc. which vary from device to device.

For color viewing, netbook is most robust solution, (as rightly suggested by Harry) but these days you can get these new colored TFT screen 7" eBook readers from China (check eBay listings) for anywhere between $125 to $175, which have Android or Linux OS, and are feature rich. Personally I don't like reading for longer spells of time on such backlit devices, but for viewing PDF I believe they should be an alternative worth considering.
If they are viewed in different shades of gray then that's not problem for me. I just want to read the text with ease.

About those Chinese Android tablets, I have seen on many forums that those devices always undergo hardware problems. No wonder they are really cheap.
I am looking for something very stable and easy to carry, a net-book would be a bit too much for me cause I just want for reading books, the keyboard isn't necessary for me at all.

So after doing some research since 2 weeks on which is the best ebook Reader that I must purchase is eSlick PDF Reader. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to all of you for helping me with my purchase.!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Coolness. Let us know how it works out!
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
Auzern

Great. I'm gonna order it day after tomorrow. Says 14-18 days shipping time. Damn I can't wait.

Will get back to this thread and also start up a new thread in the other section after I get my eSlick Reader