Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #61
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I don't think that will be a problem for the OP. Actually sounds perfect for him.
Quite correct: I like 'disturbing,' whether in horror fiction or in noir fiction.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #62
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Quite correct: I like 'disturbing,' whether in horror fiction or in noir fiction.

Hey it isn't noir but have you read Serial Killers Uncut by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch?
That is some disturbing horror.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey it isn't noir but have you read Serial Killers Uncut by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch?
That is some disturbing horror.
Actually, I have. It was OK.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #64
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I loved John McPartland's Tokyo Doll set in Occupied Japan, circa 1952. It meets all your criteria. https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Doll-Jo...ohn+mcpartland
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #65
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All of Fredric Brown's books are entertaining. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=fredric+brown

Richard Prather's Shell Scott mysteries are fun. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...r+kindle+books

Any book by Wade Miller is good. http://www.thrillingdetective.com/tr...de_miller.html

Fast One by Paul Cain, circa 1932, is a fast moving noir set during the depression. https://www.amazon.com/Fast-One-Paul.../dp/B00B132H2O

Last edited by BelleZora; 07-26-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #66
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Have you read Ken Bruen? Too dark for me (I only read one--compelling writing, despite the dark themes so I did finish it.) I can't remember the name of his series--Jack Taylor is the main.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #67
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I loved John McPartland's Tokyo Doll set in Occupied Japan, circa 1952. It meets all your criteria. https://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-Doll-Jo...ohn+mcpartland

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Actually, I assembled 4 McPartland novels back in 2008 for our Library, but never read them. (The titles are currently off-line.)

In keeping with the current 'trend', feel free to make the obligatory off-topic post on

COOKING

Please continue the thread, but I'm going to start reading - right now -

TOKYO DOLL.

--- A special 'Thank you' to BelleZora. As well, I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I appreciate it very much!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #68
BelleZora
Wizard

If you like Tokyo Doll as much as I think you will, you can follow up with Affair in Tokyo. It has some of the same characters.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #69
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
When done with those, I recommend Michael Connelly's latest book, The Late Show. This is definitely not a cozy mystery.

Ditto The Gray Man by Mark Greaney. This one is certainly not a cozy thriller. It will easily help you through the cold times.

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-26-2017 at 04:18 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you like Tokyo Doll as much as I think you will, you can follow up with Affair in Tokyo. It has some of the same characters.
Do the dead one appear in the second book? It could be a great second book if it had zombies.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #71
BelleZora
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do the dead one appear in the second book? It could be a great second book if it had zombies.
What an intriguing thought! But - alas - no zombies.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What an intriguing thought! But - alas - no zombies.
Too bad. The author could have made a killing on this series if it only had zombies.

Guess we'll have to read the Dan Shamble, Zombie PI series to get our mysteries and zombies.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #73
Larry Oz
Larry Oz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma; Paperwhite 11th gen; Paperwhite 10th gen ; Nook ST x2
I'm pretty late to this thread, and I didn't see any mention of Charles Williams (the American pulp writer, not the British spiritual writer). On a recent binge I read A Touch of Death, Hell Hath No Fury, and Talk of the Town. I liked the first two better than the last, for what it's worth.

Sorry if I missed any earlier reference to him in the thread.
Larry Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Oz View Post
I'm pretty late to this thread, and I didn't see any mention of Charles Williams (the American pulp writer, not the British spiritual writer). On a recent binge I read A Touch of Death, Hell Hath No Fury, and Talk of the Town. I liked the first two better than the last, for what it's worth.

Sorry if I missed any earlier reference to him in the thread.

I've read (and have) a number of Charles Williams titles (we're talking the mystery writer and not the literary writer - although I have a few of his titles, as well), and I thoroughly enjoy his hard-boiled school of writing, especially his Gold Medal Original novels.

Thank you for suggesting his work.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #75
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

As promised, here is the obligatory Off-topic post on cooking. I thought about posting this in the General Discussions Forum, but all those threads already are off-topic with cooking/recipe posts.

French Fried Skunk Recipe

Servings: 3-4 Units

INGREDIENTS

2 skunks, skinned and cleaned
1 tablespoon salt
water, to cover
2 cups bear fat or 2 cups lard
2 egg yolks, beaten
3 cups milk or 3 cups cream
1 1⁄2 cups flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS

Clean and wash the skunks, making sure that the scent glands are removed.
Cut up into small serving pieces.
Put a soup kettle on the stove and add the meat.
Cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Lower the heat and boil until the meat is tender, about 40 minutes.
Remove all the scum that rises to the surface.
Make a batter by mixing together the egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and baking powder.
Mix real good until the batter is about like cake batter.
Heat the bear fat or lard in a deep fryer to about 360 degrees.
Dip the pieces of skunk in the batter and then fry them in the deep fryer until golden brown.
Drain well and serve.

ENJOY!

From the food/snack section: http://www.food.com/recipe/french-fried-skunk-75396