Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
enonod
Enthusiast
enonod began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Editing Tags Hierarchy

I discovered that I had mis-tagged books as B and decided that they should be A.B. A did not yet exist. I selected some books and edited the metadata adding A. in front of all the Bs. It worked brilliantly but was laborious.
I was unable to find a way to do this under Bulk changes without deleting and recreating Tags, so I used single mode.

I also tried amending a book with A.B and then tried to drag B in the Tag Browser to sit under A but that is not possible.

I looked for a way to amend the Tags alone (Tag Editor) without using the Books hoping that by changing the Tags hierarchy, the books would follow automatically. No.

I am hoping that somebody can show me that such a thing does exist, and I missed it, ready for next time.
enonod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Option 1: Right-click on the tag in the tag browser and choose "Rename".

Option 2: use bulk edit search replace as shown in the following screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	115877  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by enonod View Post
I discovered that I had mis-tagged books as B and decided that they should be A.B. A did not yet exist. I selected some books and edited the metadata adding A. in front of all the Bs. It worked brilliantly but was laborious.
I was unable to find a way to do this under Bulk changes without deleting and recreating Tags, so I used single mode.

I also tried amending a book with A.B and then tried to drag B in the Tag Browser to sit under A but that is not possible.

I looked for a way to amend the Tags alone (Tag Editor) without using the Books hoping that by changing the Tags hierarchy, the books would follow automatically. No.

I am hoping that somebody can show me that such a thing does exist, and I missed it, ready for next time.
You can edit the tag itself in the tag navigation (right-click/rename on a tag), or from the tag editor (open an "edit metadata" window, click on the icon on the left of the "tags" field). The change will be made across all books.

Also, if you rename for exemple "Fiction - SciFi" to "Fiction.Scifi", the "Fiction" tag will be created along with "Scifi", and every book tagged "Fiction - SciFi" will reflect the change.

(I think it's because "Fiction.Scifi" is not really two separate tags, it's just the tag navigator making it look like the latter is the child of the former. But from a database and book POV, it's really just one tag named "Fiction.Scifi")

EDIT: Aaaaaand once again I'm late. Ah well.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
enonod
Enthusiast

Thank you both very much, it works with the suggestions.
I think I was afraid to experiment with rename for example because I didn't know if I would screw everything.
I guess from your replies it does indeed do what it says on the tin.

@Aleyx: I guess it is simply down to what time you get up in the morning

Last edited by enonod; 11-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by enonod View Post
Thank you both very much, it works with the suggestions.
I think I was afraid to experiment with rename for example because I didn't know if I would screw everything.
I guess from your replies it does indeed do what it says on the tin.
Tip: It also has hidden goodies. For exemple, you can fusion two tags by renaming one to the other:

- 200 books have "Fiction - Fantasy"
- 300 books have "Fiction: Fantasy"

Rename "Fiction: Fantasy" to "Fiction - Fantasy", you now have 500 books with "Fiction - Fantasy" and no more "Fiction: Fantasy". Now rename "Fiction - Fantasy" to "Fiction.Fantasy"...

It's what allowed me to correct my list of ~1500 tags (for 1200 books at the time), many of which were dupes.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
enonod
Enthusiast

Now that really is immediately useful and thank you for the clear explanation.
I find I am hooked on this database and cannot leave it alone, a bit like sheep eating grass.
Thanks