Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing to know is that the Pocket Integration handles what Pocket has classified as Articles.

You can see these by going to the Pocket site and after signing in and viewing what you have on Pocket, check the filtering options at the botton of the screen and select "View Articles".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I hope you will post pictures of your Glo and Aura side by side when you get a chance.

Notice the green for envy.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #63
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
I am interested in the glare like others, also interested in how it compares to the Kindle PW (if you have used one) is the screen glass then?

I was 99% certain on ditching the PW for the Aura but it kind of got a new lease of life courtesy of jailbreak and collections manager etc. I am still possibly interested mainly for the smaller footprint and the glass screen (somehow seems more durable?)
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #64
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
So I've just received my brand new Aura. I updated right away and now this is the firmware:
2.9.0 (042df55f04, 9/15/13)

I'll be back in a few hours to give my impressions.
What is the firmware download URL?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #65
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
What is the firmware download URL?
Even if the FW has the same build number for the various devices, it will not have the same features for all devices. We saw that in the beta. As of last night, the new FW had not been released for anything but the new Aura.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #66
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
I am interested in the glare like others, also interested in how it compares to the Kindle PW (if you have used one) is the screen glass then?

I was 99% certain on ditching the PW for the Aura but it kind of got a new lease of life courtesy of jailbreak and collections manager etc. I am still possibly interested mainly for the smaller footprint and the glass screen (somehow seems more durable?)
I believe the review that talked about a glass surface corrected themselves and it is plastic.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #67
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Another nice new feature in 2.9.0 in kepubs is that you can double tap on ANY image and it will zoom full page with an option for further zoom.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #68
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Well here it goes:
Nice size. The back is no longer the rubbery stuff, but hard plastic. Feels grippy enough, though.
The screen is flush and that's really wonderful. No more crumbs in the corners. No more fidgeting when trying to select something close to the bezel. With light turned off and at 100% the Aura's screen is a bit more yellow than the Glo's. It doesn't show on the pictures I attached, though.
With light at 100% there is a very pronounced white line at the top of the screen of the Aura (even the picture shows it). The Glo has it too, but much less pronounced (I'd never noticed it). Also, on the left and right side there is a greyish area on the Aura (about 3 mm thick), which the Glo doesn't have. The bottomside of the Glo has a grey line with 2 "bulbs"; on the Aura it's more even without the bulbs.
I like the power button sticking out just a bit above the bezel. Easier to handle than the Glo, which has small ribs which have completely been scratched off by my nail. On the other hand, the light button is lower than the bezel, which makes it harder to push.
As for glare: the photo show that the screen of the Aura has another way of reflecting the light. However, I'd say the glare is more or less equal.

Now I haven't put on my whole book collection, haven't attached it to Calibre yet, haven't put any of my own fonts on it, so I don't know how all that will pan out. There's the huge header and footer, but we know we have our means to cope with that (which work on the new FW, I hope). Pageturns are snappy and capacitive is a godsend. Many the times I tried to hit a superscript number to get to an endnote on the Glo, eventually giving up on it. That's much easier on the Aura's screen. Same goes for selection of text. I find it is rather slow to follow your finger, but that's is an eInk thing, I think. It's certainly better than hit and miss.
Another pleasant surprise is the Aura's behaviour when reaching out for an endnote. The Glo would take you to the end of the book. The Aura gives you a pop-up with the contents of the note. Very satisfying.

First impressions are good. Now I'll start fiddling around with it.

Edit: Oops, forgot a very important thing. Yes, you can zoom pictures! Especially nice with maps.

Last edited by bartveld; 09-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #69
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Hey, what happened to my pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130917_160838.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	111232   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130917_161023.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	111233  
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #70
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Even if the FW has the same build number for the various devices, it will not have the same features for all devices. We saw that in the beta. As of last night, the new FW had not been released for anything but the new Aura.
oh well...I still want to check out the file..poke about and stuff...has anyone even tried the KoboRoot.tgz from the aura on the aura hd? It might work....

Last edited by freekobo; 09-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #71
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Another nice new feature in 2.9.0 in kepubs is that you can double tap on ANY image and it will zoom full page with an option for further zoom.
what? thats awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #72
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
myyyy it's tempting me! but no, my aura hd is too young XD
can't wait for the FW to update though, that pic zooming thing is great!
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #73
evelynne_r
evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.evelynne_r could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
Woohooo! Mine just arrived in Montreal. Looking forward to checking it out.
evelynne_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #74
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynne_r View Post
Woohooo! Mine just arrived in Montreal. Looking forward to checking it out.
When did you preordered it? I'm in Quebec City so I'll cross my fingers
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #75
tls
Enthusiast
tls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nexys 7
bartveld, I am jealous!

I travelled into London today to buy the Aura from WH Smith. When activating instore I found that unfortunately the screen has a glowing pinprick of light about 1cm from the bottom and in the middle - must have been a flaw in the coating. WHS were kind enough to swap it for another, which had two pinpricks of light. They opened the two more they'd received in and they were the same. In fact the only one that was OK was the demo on display. I ended up leaving without one. Shame because they were scanning at £115.38 and WHS were giving a £5 voucher if you activate instore, so it would have been almost a £10 saving on the RRP!

Is yours OK?
tls is offline   Reply With Quote