Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner
cyclops0000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Touch
I might have accidentally removed special offers on kindle touch 5.1.0

Hey, Im new, but i have a question.
I was following the instructions listed here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#Removing_Ads and i did not reboot after i installed the toggle ads, so toggle adds into the extensions folder, then sshed into my kindle, and followed the instructions above for 5.1.0. after i was done, i rebooted, and went into the launcher menu to toggle ads. i toggled it, and nothing happened, so i toggled it again and rebooted, and after i rebooted, my special offers and ads were gone! i connected to wifi, and went into the amazon store to make sure it wouldn't reinstall the ads, and still, ads are gone!

Does anybody have a clue as to what i may have done to disable ads? because AFAIK, nobody has been able to do it on 5.1.0, so i doubt i managed to do it by accident...

thanks and sorry for long post
- cyclops
cyclops0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Re: I might have accidentally removed special offers on kindle touch 5.1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops0000 View Post
... I was following the instructions listed here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#Removing_Ads ... and followed the instructions above for 5.1.0. ... and still, ads are gone!
Does anybody have a clue as to what i may have done to disable ads? because AFAIK, nobody has been able to do it on 5.1.0, so i doubt i managed to do it by accident....
So, are you saying that following the "removing ads" instructions "accidentally" removed your ads?

Unless I misunderstand, that does not seem like an accident to me, but thanks for confirming that the posted method works.

And by "nobody", you must mean ixtab, who posted an ad removal hack for jbpatch for ad removal that is for 5.1.0 in his "Dynamic replacement of (Java) functionality" thread.

Regarding needing to reboot after doing a hack, that is a common requirement for a lot of hacks (especially any that add or modify startup behavior), so it is not a surprise in this case.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2012 at 10:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Gonzok
Gonzok began at the beginning.

What do you see in place of the ads now? I am looking to remove the ads in my 5.1.0 but the tread says the screensaver hack will not work. does it revert to the original screen saver images?
Gonzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzok View Post
What do you see in place of the ads now? I am looking to remove the ads in my 5.1.0 but the thread says the screensaver hack will not work. does it revert to the original screen saver images?
If you read my post above, you will see that ixtab has a jpbatch that removes ads (including the small ad at the bottom of the main screen). Did you read it?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Gonzok

I did.. my question was what is in place of the ads
Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzok View Post
I did.. my question was what is in place of the ads
The K3 had images of dead authors. The K4 and K5 had different collections of printing and caligraphy artifact images (pencils, brushes, typewriters, lead type, etc.). After installing ixtab's patch, the ad at the bottom of the home screen goes away (by extending the home screen to the bottom), and the original screensaver images described above are restored.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Gonzok

OK. I was hoping those images would be restored instead of blank space. I'm going about it now. Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So, are you saying that following the "removing ads" instructions "accidentally" removed your ads?

Unless I misunderstand, that does not seem like an accident to me, but thanks for confirming that the posted method works.

And by "nobody", you must mean ixtab, who posted an ad removal hack for jbpatch for ad removal that is for 5.1.0 in his "Dynamic replacement of (Java) functionality" thread.

Regarding needing to reboot after doing a hack, that is a common requirement for a lot of hacks (especially any that add or modify startup behavior), so it is not a surprise in this case.
well yes, but i was following the instructions to replace the ads with a single custom screensaver and banner, because i was not aware of ixtab's 5.1.0 ad removal patch... and i am aware that for many hacks to work a reboot is required, i was just attempting to be as detailed as possible, which i obviously failed at XD
also, the reason i said nobody, was because in the wiki for KT hacks it mentions that at 5.1.0 you cannot remove ads, only replace them with a single custom screensaver, and i was going off that wiki, so to my knowledge then, it was impossible.
well, good to know about ixtabs ad patch, but my ony question is does it support yifan lu's simple or custom screensave hack?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
my only question is does it support yifan lu's simple or custom screensaver hack?
AFAIK if you upgraded to 5.1.0 you can use the simple screensaver hack only, otherwise custom screensaver hack works also.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
AFAIK if you upgraded to 5.1.0 you can use the simple screensaver hack only, otherwise custom screensaver hack works also.
thanks
and on a sightly related note, is there anyway to randomize screensavers on the simple screensaver hack? for example, each rime i wake my kindle, it picks a different screensaver, without picking ones i already saw.
and if not that, a way to have it shuffle/rearrange my screensavers on reboot or when a script is run (from gui launcher)
if i knew how to code i would attempt to make my own script or whatever it is i need, but alas, i am only a teenager with meager knowledge of c++ and js or whatever language it is i need to know...
well anyway, not sure if that should be a new topic... but whatever
thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
thanks
and on a sightly related note, is there anyway to randomize screensavers on the simple screensaver hack? for example, each rime i wake my kindle, it picks a different screensaver, without picking ones i already saw.
and if not that, a way to have it shuffle/rearrange my screensavers on reboot or when a script is run (from gui launcher)
if i knew how to code i would attempt to make my own script or whatever it is i need, but alas, i am only a teenager with meager knowledge of c++ and js or whatever language it is i need to know...
well anyway, not sure if that should be a new topic... but whatever
thanks
As I recall, shuffling screensavers requires renaming them to change their prefixed number. That could be done from a script that is called from a symlink in the /etc/upstart folder. Scripts called in the gui menu could also be patched to call your "screensaver shuffle" script. To randomize the shuffle, you can read a random byte from /dev/urandom. You can examine other scripts to learn how to write them. A fun place to learn to write scripts is by modifying scripts posted in the "eink algorithmic art shell scripting" thread (find it in the "native mode" index).
Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner

thanks, ill try that
and on a completely unrelated note, and because i havent managed to find anything on the matter, how to i install gmplayer to my kindle? should i install it like yifan lu's tar.gz jailbreak? currently i have no idea how to install a tar.gz package...
thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
thanks, ill try that
and on a completely unrelated note, and because i havent managed to find anything on the matter, how to i install gmplayer to my kindle? should i install it like yifan lu's tar.gz jailbreak? currently i have no idea how to install a tar.gz package...
thanks
The jailbreak is primarily for kindlets. Native mode apps like gmplay do not need a jailbreak. You do not install gmplay. You just copy it onto your usb drive, then run it. The gmplay program also needs to read the raw video from STDIN (as shown in the post whre you can download it). You can run it from an ssh shell, or from an onscreen terminal (like myts or JoppyTerm), or from launcher (gui launcher menu, or launchpad, or kite). I just use ssh.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
cyclops0000
Padawan Learner

OK, thanks
so how do i put it into the gui launcher? do i just copy it into the extensions folder? or do i need to get a terminal emulator for launcher and run it from there?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
OK, thanks
so how do i put it into the gui launcher? do i just copy it into the extensions folder? or do i need to get a terminal emulator for launcher and run it from there?
You need some xml and script files. The easiest way would be to copy and rename an existing launcher extension, then modify it to call gmplay (and zcat with a parameter) as shown in the gmplay examples. You can make a multi-level menu with parameters that feed different videos to gmplay, giving each submenu the title of the content (Sintel, Harvey, etc.).

Eventually, gmplay will get sound, with the help of twobob...

P.S. This discussion really should be in the "geekmaster video" thread. It will get lost here...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.