Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #61
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My only problem with James Clavell and Shogun was that he wrote a book encompassing an important period of Japanese history and he changed the names.
This would be like someone writing a book encompassing the American Revolution and changing the name of every important historical figure.
Apache
I can understand your problem. All I can think is that he must have been concerned about people taking his book as a piece of history rather than historical-fiction. Only he would know. For me, it is a great novel (that I am actually still reading).
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #62
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have read it a number of times over the years and will read it again. It is a great book but, I feel it would have been better if he had used the correct names of historical figures. I lived in Japan for a number of years and that actually makes it harder for me when reading Shogun.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #63
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I'm not sure what 'Historical' means, but I really enjoyed 'Left of the Moon' by Monica Tracey. The protagonist is living in our era, but the complex story centres on her mother's history in Ireland before WW2, and her cousin's search for her biological father who died in Italy in 1943.

Full disclosure: I read it while preparing it as an ebook for Circaidy Gregory Press.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #64
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
For historical fiction, check out Shayne Parkinson's Promises to Keep quartet, of which the first, Sentence of Marriage, is free, and David Crookes' novels, of which Redcoat is currently free.

Parkinson's books are focused on New Zealand and Crookes' on Australia. Both authors write exceedingly well. My wife and I, as well as our friends to whom we have recommended these authors and books, have found the books compelling and difficult to put down. We read Parkinson's books more than a year ago and still talk about them.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #65
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
There's Meredith Whitford's "Treason" and "Shakespeare's Will" (available from BeWrite books and other places). I haven't read "Treason" yet but it's on the TBR list, thoroughly enjoyed "Shakespeare's Will". They are fiction but based on fact and real characters.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #66
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Nearly all the books by Stanley J. Weyman are historical romances, and many of them are in the MR library.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #67
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Elizabeth Goudge wrote some beautiful books. Green Dolphin Country (AKA Green Dolphin Street) which links the Channel Islands with New Zealand in a long distance romance. The Deans Watch was another one I enjoyed, whilst learning a lot about watchmaking in the process.
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #68
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
'Forever Amber' by Kathleen Winsor is good. It's set in Restoration England and has romance.

"Through a Glass Darkly' and 'Now Face to Face' by Karleen Koen are set at the turn of the 18th century and feature romance. They're set in England, France, and America.

'The Tea Rose', 'The Winter Rose' and 'The Wild Rose' by Jennifer Donnelly are set in England and America at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th and follow a series of women through all kinds of romantic and personal turmoil. They're sort of pulpy to me, but still a fun read.
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #69
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett is good too. It follows a variety of families in Europe and the US from 1914-1924ish and features a number of romantic subplots.
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #70
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I know this is an old thread, but since its listed in the sticky genre recommendations thread, I suppose people will still be interested.

I just wanted to point out that you can now get Paul Scott's Raj Quartet in ebook format. It's about the last days of the British Raj in India during WWII and is the basis for the 80s mini-series Jewel in the Crown.

http://www.amazon.com/Raj-Quartet-Ph...0508489&sr=1-1
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #71
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieliser View Post
I totally get what you're asking. I don't minding the love story being the sub plot. I've picked up "Pillars of the Earth" I think the last 3 times I've gone into B&N... Maybe I should just read it eh?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Lots to choose from now!
Well, it's a large book, so picking it up and then putting it down is probably good exercise for upper body strength.

BTW, it is a worthy read. If you ever saw the mini-series on TV, while not as awful as "TV Epics" often go, the TV series did not come close to doing justice to the book.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #72
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Rafael Sabatini.

Historically thorough, well-written, a little old-fashioned now (Sabatini died in about 1950) but still rousing reads, and all the ones I've read include some romance without making it the story, if you know what I mean. Despite the Italian name, he was raised in England, and wrote in English.

Captain Blood: Pirates of the Caribbean theme, in which the various pirate exploits etc of Captain Blood really did happen, though not of course all perpetrated by the same real-life pirates. LOTS of action.

Scaramouche: The earliest days of the French Revolution.

Both made into hugely successful swashbuckler movies. Again, LOTS of action.

Many others, from the Inquisition onwards.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #73
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
All of Jane Austen's other books of course. And maybe Jane Eyre?

And I loooooved all of Philippa Gregory's historical novels.
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #74
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Here are a few historical fiction authors to wet your appetites: Michael Arnold, Angus Donald, Simon Scarrow, Bernard Cornwell, Robert Fabbri, Conn Iggulden, S.J.A. Turney, Ben Kane, Giles Kristian, Patrick Mercer, Paul Fraser-Collard, George MacDonald-Fraser, Douglas Jackson, Manda/M.C. Scott, John Wilcox and Christian Cameron. Hope this helps. I have read all these authors and they are all very good.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #75
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Judith Arnopp's ' The Winchester Goose' is an absorbing read.
Historical fiction with elements of romance -
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote