Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
thatsmyfish
Enthusiast
thatsmyfish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1, Kobo A1, Kindle DX, Kindle 1
1st Generation Kindle Not Connecting

Hi all,

I nostalgically purchased a 1st gen kindle a few weeks ago off of eBay. It connected up with the book store, allowed me to download content and otherwise worked fine, post-2016 required update. In the last few days, while it shows a 3G connection with sufficient bars, it won't connect to the store or my archive. Any thoughts? I know it's ancient, but I was hoping to get a bit more use out of it.
thatsmyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
There has been chatter over on the Kindle forum on Amazon about the same thing. Most speculate it has to do with Sprint no longer supporting 3g, and the Kindles won't connect to 4g. I've no idea if that is correct though.

Link to one of the threads over there:
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...es-yours-still

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-12-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have the same issue with my K1, which last connected to Kindle Store maybe a couple of years ago. Have not engaged Amazon CS about it. Interesting that there was one that connected more recently - maybe there are still coverage areas out there that ‘work’ but I don’t wander around with my K1 trying to find them.

I get 4 bar signal and it has the effect of updating the clock if the battery discharged (I purchased a replacement battery a few months ago and it holds a charge better, but not like a brand new battery would - assume it sat on a shelf a long time). There are these diagnostic screens that you can access from Settings (ALT+211, ALT+411, ALT+511 etc) but I don’t know how to interpret them.

The idea that Sprint has dropped support seems quite plausible, despite Amazon’s ‘free wireless for life of device’. However it is also possible that it would connect in some other geographical location, where Sprint has not gotten around to upgrading their equipment. But it may be that Sprint deprovisioned Kindles accidentally along the way: they clearly still have 3G network.

I figure I could get some sort of trade-in credit beyond what they offer if I complained, though probably not an upgrade to Oasis 2 ha.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmyfish View Post
Hi all,

I nostalgically purchased a 1st gen kindle a few weeks ago off of eBay. It connected up with the bookstore, allowed me to download content and otherwise worked fine, post-2016 required update. In the last few days, while it shows a 3G connection with sufficient bars, it won't connect to the store or my archive. Any thoughts? I know it's ancient, but I was hoping to get a bit more use out of it.
I know this thread is almost one-year-old, but because recently my Kindle DXG also behave the same, then I also wonder what actually happen. If you still have your 1st gen kindle, then can you check ALT+4-1-1, is the "Certificate: MISSING"?

Thanks
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
I know this thread is almost one-year-old, but because recently my Kindle DXG also behave the same, then I also wonder what actually happen. If you still have your 1st gen kindle, then can you check ALT+4-1-1, is the "Certificate: MISSING"?

Thanks
I just tried to check, but as soon as I select "turn wireless on" it goes back to off.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert