Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Good readers gone bad

No, I'm not talking about readers who hang around High School/College Spring Break beaches. I'm talking about readers that you loved in one set of books and hated in a different set of books.

In general, when I buy an audio book, I tend to be more focused on the author, rather than the reader. There are only a handful of readers who I actually pay attention to. That leads to some interesting surprises for me.

I'm one of these people who will listen to books multiple time and have a number of authors that I really like. Two of those authors are David Eddings and Brian Daley. I've listened to David Eddings' The Belgarid series a number of times and love it. The reader does a great job.

Daley's Coramonde series has been one of my favorite series for a long time. However, the audio book version sets my teeth on edge. The reader uses a high falsetto voice for the women that I just can't stand. I couldn't make it through the first hour.

I hadn't notice it before, but the same reader, Cameron Beierle, was the reader for both series. Dang. Anyone else have a reader you both love and hate?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I really like Simon Vance and have several of the books he's narrated on Audible, especially classics. However, The Summer Tree by Gavriel Kay is one that I can't stand that he does because Canadian/American accents are terrible. It might be just at the beginning when they're in Toronto, but I can't bring myself to listen far enough in to see.

Last edited by tea2; 04-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I listened to Kate Burton read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and wow, didn't care for it. I like her well enough as an actree, she was great in Empire Falls but don't think I'd listen to her read another book. I believe she does it as a professional.

I didn't care for Sissy Spacek reading To Kill a Mockingbird either.

I once downloaded a Dramatic Reading from Librovox of Ann of Green Gables. The woman who read Diana's dialog was elderly, and boy did that pull me out of the story.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
John Lee!

He is wonderful doing things like The Count of Monte Cristo. But he can also be incredibly boring, as when he reads Pandora's Star by Alistair Reynolds.

Also Luke Daniels. He is good for modern stuff like the Iron Druid series, but he doesn't have the range to do more complicated stuff -- like, for instance, The Three Body Problem. And some narrators are fine until you ask them to do accents -- like Mary Robinette Kowal.
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote