Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Speed reading tips?

Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

Is there a way to speed read but not loose the quality of the book reading experience? I tried Kindles word runner but the experience does not seem satisfying
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I don't know about using any of the e-book readers to speed read.

However.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_...l_presentation

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irsvp/id523989697?mt=8

https://accelareader.com/

https://lifehacker.com/use-these-app...ead-1795692865

Personally I think RSVP is the best. You just have to find a good app that you can work with.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
You might check out this thread about one option to speed up your reading a little. It seems like I read a little faster by reducing my column width (increasing margins) and don't lose out on any of the reading experience.

As for speed reading in general, if you are reading for fun, my thoughts are to make sure you don't turn reading into work. When I actively try to read for quantity I know I lose a lot of the reason that I read - the enjoyment of reading. So just be careful.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's worthwhile to distinguish between reading faster and speed reading. Speed reading usually involves techniques that borrow from skimming and is meant to sacrifice a bit of quality for quantity. There are times when that's useful but it's not something I would do for pleasure.

I took a course in speed reading in college, lo those many years ago, and it helped me. I was and still am a fairly slow reader. Most of the time my emphasis was on comprehension and I didn't use the speed reading techniques I learned. At times though, they were pretty useful. I could jump my speed from my usual 300 wpm to well over 1000 wpm and still retain a lot of what I read. But it wasn't much fun and I did retain less than when reading normally.

After college I kind of forgot about speed reading and I haven't done it much since.

Reading faster is a very different thing. I've found that by increasing the margins I read maybe 25% faster. I haven't actually measured that and I'm not sure how to measure it but that's how much faster it seems to me. It hasn't affected my comprehension at all, at least not that I can tell. In fact I sometimes think it might have increased it. It has increased my pleasure in reading. I read a bit faster and I read more now.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I can understand trying to read faster if you are in school and have a lot of required material to get through in a limited amount of time, but if you're reading for personal enjoyment with no deadline then I don't see the point in trying to go faster than comes naturally to you.

That said, it can't hurt to experiment with different fonts, sizes, or whatever settings are available on your reader (including colors if you are reading on a tablet) to see if any of those make a difference in your reading comfort.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
As someone who had to relearn how to read, the best way to pick up some speed on your reading is to simply force your eyes to move back and forth a little faster than they are now. At some point, you will start having comprehension problems. That's the max FOR NOW that you can work with. Just practice at that for awhile. After a couple of weeks, speed up a little more. There will be a limit. I sped up my reading considerably after doing this for several months. However, I've reached my maximum for comprehension now and backed down a bit. Still, I'm satisfied with my current speed given my issues.

Speed reading is different as it is skimming, skipping words.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do not want to be super fast but I am below the average slow. I want to be able to get thew a book at a normal pace. it takes me 5 to 6 weeks to read a normal size book when I feel I should be able to do it in 4 weeks. I may just have to stick with regular reading then use wordrunner to move thew the long boring chapters
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Speed reading, to me, seems like rushing through a hike in the mountains just to get it done.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm a fairly slow reader. I measured myself at about 300 wpm years ago. I'm not sure if I'm faster or slower these days. I'm really not sure how much I care.

If I can finish a book faster with no loss of pleasure or comprehension then I like that. I was a programmer for a lot of years and getting things done became a habit, a good habit. When I'm reading there's no rush but the habit is still there.

I tend to read chapter to chapter and each chapter gives me a bit of gratification when I finish it. It's a good feeling. But the important thing is that I enjoy the book. Other considerations, such as speed or finishing a chapter are a distant second. Not forgotten but not major either.

It seems to me that you have two options: learn to read faster and learn to care less. There's no reason you can't work on both.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm a fairly slow reader. I measured myself at about 300 wpm years ago. I'm not sure if I'm faster or slower these days. I'm really not sure how much I care.

If I can finish a book faster with no loss of pleasure or comprehension then I like that. I was a programmer for a lot of years and getting things done became a habit, a good habit. When I'm reading there's no rush but the habit is still there.

I tend to read chapter to chapter and each chapter gives me a bit of gratification when I finish it. It's a good feeling. But the important thing is that I enjoy the book. Other considerations, such as speed or finishing a chapter are a distant second. Not forgotten but not major either.

It seems to me that you have two options: learn to read faster and learn to care less. There's no reason you can't work on both.

Barry
200 wpm is average.
300 wpm is not slow. Where did you hear that?
I have been told more than once that is fast reading.
1000 wpm is speed reading.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-10-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Speed reading, to me, seems like rushing through a hike in the mountains just to get it done.
Fell running is quite popular around here, and people do mountain running
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You might find this thread of interest.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader has this Perception-Expander-plugin.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You might find this thread of interest.
Took a test linked there ... 221 words per minute with 100% comprehension. So that confirms I am a pretty slow reader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Took a test linked there ... 221 words per minute with 100% comprehension. So that confirms I am a pretty slow reader.
Site I saw said 200 was average.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote