Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #61
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
WTH; why are all the picks romance?
I remember the last one had mostly romance too. I just bought my Tab S recently - is it usually this way?

I read Flee and don't remember it being romance. I tried to look at the book but I had borrowed it so I only have an entry in Calibre.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #62
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
There were some interesting offerings early in the year; last month and this, though...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 AM   #63
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I remember the last one had mostly romance too. I just bought my Tab S recently - is it usually this way?

I read Flee and don't remember it being romance. I tried to look at the book but I had borrowed it so I only have an entry in Calibre.
No, it's not usually this way. Till last month and this one I haven't noticed any months this heavy on one particular genre, and definitely not romance. Two months being heavy on the same genre is very weird.

I don't believe Flee actually is romance, at least not as most people think of it as a genre. If you look at it on GoodReads, not many people have tagged it that way:

Sounds like it has some romance in there, but it's not a main focus of the story. I'm going to go with Flee, it sounds kind of meh, but beats the hell out of the others.

Last edited by Manabi; 07-02-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to italicize book title
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:23 AM   #64
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
RE: Heavy on the romance
Quote:
is it usually this way?
All the monthly Kindle for Samsung Free Selections (tagged by genre), from the program's inception in August 2014, are included in this thread. Take a look, and you'll see that in most months, the fare has been more diverse.

RE: Flee, I second what Manabi wrote and will remove the reference to romance from its genre list in this thread.
Quote:
I don't believe Flee actually is romance, at least not as most people think of it as a genre. If you look at it on GoodReads, not many people have tagged it that way:

Sounds like it has some romance in there, but it's not a main focus of the story. I'm going to go with Flee, it sounds kind of meh, but beats the hell out of the others.

Last edited by Froide; 07-02-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #65
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
No, it's not usually this way. Till last month and this one I haven't noticed any months this heavy on one particular genre, and definitely not romance. Two months being heavy on the same genre is very weird.

Okay, you talked me into it...

If nothing else, it'll be a potential distraction.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #66
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 07-19-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #67
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Where did these genres that are listed come from? I just checked The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn at Goodreads and not a single person has it as romance - it's a horror book. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ersion=service

Attachment 140385
Which is perhaps why it is listed as such in the OP?

From your own post:

Quote:
Genre(s): fiction - horror, thriller, suspense, paranormal
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #68
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where did these genres that are listed come from? [/url]

Attachment 140385
My source(s) for genres in this thread: typically BN.com and/or Goodreads

Last edited by Froide; 07-19-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #69
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Which is perhaps why it is listed as such in the OP?

From your own post:
Doh! I didn't read it again, it must have been updated. When the list was originally posted, everything was listed as romance.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #70
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
When the list was originally posted, everything was listed as romance.
Not sure why you think that.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #71
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Not sure why you think that.
It wasn't just me...

Edit: sorry, my ice cream was delivered before I could finish this. Coconut cream pie ice cream - yummy!

The post right after this months list was posted said they were all romance this time. When I looked they all said romance somewhere in the list of genres, but maybe The Shuddering only had paranormal listed and not romance. I've seen paranormal used too often as a code word for romance, so I thought it was romance too. Last month all except one was romance, and since I only got my Tab S recently I've only looked at these past two months. I hate romance books and avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 07-19-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #72
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
It wasn't just me...

Edit: sorry, my ice cream was delivered before I could finish this. Coconut cream pie ice cream - yummy!

The post right after this months list was posted said they were all romance this time. When I looked they all said romance somewhere in the list of genres, but maybe The Shuddering only had paranormal listed and not romance. I've seen paranormal used too often as a code word for romance, so I thought it was romance too. Last month all except one was romance, and since I only got my Tab S recently I've only looked at these past two months. I hate romance books and avoid them like the plague.
Ditto on the yummy! Hope you enjoyed it.

RE: " When I looked they all said romance somewhere in the list of genres, but maybe The Shuddering only had paranormal listed and not romance."

I now get what you mean. I'd initially misinterpreted your post as if it meant all the books were listed as being primarily romances. That wasn't the case. As that was not what you meant, my bad.

Last edited by Froide; 07-20-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #73
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Ditto on the yummy! Hope you enjoyed it.

RE: " When I looked they all said romance somewhere in the list of genres, but maybe The Shuddering only had paranormal listed and not romance."

I now get what you mean. I'd initially misinterpreted your post as if it meant all the books were listed as being primarily romances. That wasn't the case. Nor was that what you meant, anyway. My bad.
If I see romance in a list of genres, to me that means it has more than just minimal romance otherwise it wouldn't be listed at all.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:47 AM   #74
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Last month all except one was romance, and since I only got my Tab S recently I've only looked at these past two months. I hate romance books and avoid them like the plague.
I hate romance too and also avoid them, but these past two months have been a real aberration for the offerings. I've never seen so many romance books slapped together as in them. Usually there's at most one, and then a book or two with romance as an auxiliary thing. (So it's in there, but not the focus of the plot.) Hopefully it'll go back to normal soon.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 AM   #75
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Just a reminder that it'll be the last day for the July selections if you haven't picked one out already.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote