Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruiter View Post
Thanks for this!

I really liked her first book series - which I bought in paper format - and I'll probably buy her new book as well. I like YA novels, but I don't read them very often.
It's set in the same "universe" as Mortal Instruments, but in a different period. I think a new book from the Mortal Intruments series is set to be released this year, too, in March I believe.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
fruiter
Connoisseur
fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; WISEreader N526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
It's set in the same "universe" as Mortal Instruments, but in a different period. I think a new book from the Mortal Intruments series is set to be released this year, too, in March I believe.
I'll have to google that - a new book about Clary would be pretty awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
fruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
If you're just testing the waters, I recommend the Steampunk anthology by Vandermeer. It's a very diverse collection of short stories in different steampunk styles across the last 120 years or so.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt (It has a sequel)
The Affinity Bridge by George Mann (but it has zombies)
I second the Stephen Hunt books. If you like Philip Pullman, then Hunt is similar. There are four books in the Jackelian series now. The fifth releases in a few months, and the sixth is in process. Just a note that in the US you'll have to resort to pbooks (geographic restrictions on the ebooks, unfortunately).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
What is steampunk?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #36
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Let us know who won.
I think I'll try Gibson, and Powers first. Aurorarama sounds interesting, but the price is on the edge of what I'll pay for an eBook.
Thanks again for all the input.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Fbone, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #38
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
What is steampunk?
As near as I can tell, it's some sort of speculative fiction with an odd mix of old technology and modern sensibilities and plotlines. There is often a Victorian feel added to the mix but I don't personally consider it essential to be considered generically 'Steampunk'. It's one of those things where I know it when I encounter it!

I don't think it has a firm definition, and this is illustrated by the wide variety of suggested titles in this thread. It is entirely possible that you have read "SteamPunk" without realizing it.

It's often either very dark or campy in nature. I don't recall many Steampunk stories that I've read that were not clearly one or the other though I guess it could be. I think of it as a sort of alternate universe type science fiction where the various threads of technology and culture have developed at different speeds in relation to each other and differently from our curently percieved universe (yet in an oddly parallel manner). I think it's obvious that an author could produce fiction that is 'sorta steampunk', and 'sorta not', depending on the level of deviance from our own universe.

Not a lot of magic or elves in Steampunk.

I'm not a super big fan of pure steampunk, but I enjoy it when it's well done.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-05-2011 at 10:10 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
http://www.steampunk.com/what-is-steampunk/
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #40
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
A couple of the comments after the article described steampunk in simple terms.

Thanks, Glen for your thoughts. I was unfamiliar with the term "steampunk" and what was included in it's genre.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #41
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I had no idea Tim Powers' Anubis Gates would be classed as steampunk. Great book but it seemed like pure fantasy with a tiny dash of history to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #42
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
What is steampunk?
Here's my favorite answer . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steampunk.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	66911  
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyDan View Post
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
NICE!!!

You could also check out "The Horn of Ruin", "Ghosts of Manhattan", and "The Buntline Special"

I'm still working through Ruin, but Ghosts of Manhattan is steampunk batman. And Buntline Special is a weird west steampunk retelling of the showdown at the OK corral.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #45
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote