Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
glorya
glorya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Message to Eject Kindle From PC If I Want To Use It

First off, my Dell Inspiron 8400 desktop won't even recognize my Kindle 2. Then I tried to connect it to my Compaq laptop. The laptop sees it but the Kindle screen gives me the following message: [B][I]If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer." I have tried the reset button, safely remove hardware, retry, etc. etc. etc. I am at a standstill. Amazon has no problem sending me books and my Kindle is able to read them, but the above message is confusing. Can anyone please help me with that?

Second part of my problem: I did call Amazon one week ago and was told I would hear back from them within 2/3 business days. I am still waiting! To add insult to injury, I can't even find the Amazon Kindle's help phone number to try to reach them again. Would anyone have this please?
glorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So are you trying to use it while it is connected to the USB port?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorya View Post
The laptop sees it but the Kindle screen gives me the following message: [B][I]If you want to use your Kindle and continue charging, please eject your Kindle from your computer."
When you connect your Kindle it goes into data mode and you get this message. This is the mode you want it in if you want to copy files over. To get out of this mode open 'My Computer' right click on the Kindle and click on 'Eject' it'll then leave data mode and you can read on it while connected to the computer or safely disconnect it from your computer.

Quote:
Second part of my problem: I did call Amazon one week ago and was told I would hear back from them within 2/3 business days. I am still waiting! To add insult to injury, I can't even find the Amazon Kindle's help phone number to try to reach them again. Would anyone have this please?
Go to this page...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

...on the right it says 'Contact Us'. If you select 'Phone' select your issue and click 'Call Me' you'll be asked to enter a phone number and you'll get a call connecting you to CS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To get out of this mode open 'My Computer' right click on the Kindle and click on 'Eject' it'll then leave data mode and you can read on it while connected to the computer or safely disconnect it from your computer.
Except if you re-read the OP message you will see that he did that. "Safely Remove Hardware" is the same as "eject".

BOb
Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Except if you re-read the OP message you will see that he did that. "Safely Remove Hardware" is the same as "eject".

BOb
Didn't see that.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, he doesn't say that's his problem. He doesn't say exactly *what* his problem is, just that he doesn't like the message. You're assuming it means he's ejected but still has the message; I doubt that. I suspect, like 99% of the other times I've seen people ask about this, they are confused by the message and don't understand it's PERFECTLY NORMAL. It means copy the files over the the Kindle you want to, then eject it to start using the Kindle again. It just means you can't read books on the Kindle while it's in USB mode.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
glorya

Thanks all, I see the message I get on my Kindle is "perfectly normal" ... yesterday rec'd a call from Amazon Help ... maybe they saw my SOS and they told me, too, that message indicates the Kindle is communicating with the PC. Anyway, I thought that message should 't have been there but I found out I was wrong. But, my problem still exists anyway ... my Dell 8400 desktop won't recognize my Kindle 2 but the Kindle recognizes the PC by evidence of the message on Kindle's screen. According to Amazon, it is my PC's fault ... I didn't know that my Dell was so sassy and wouldn't behave. Has anyone had a problem with their PC not recognizing their Kindle and, if so, what did you do to rectify that? And, yes Bob, I am trying to use my Kindle while it is connected to the USB port (tried different ports on my Dell, also to no avail)

Last edited by glorya; 04-10-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

On the Dell, are you using front mounted USB ports? If so try one of the ones in the back. Sometimes front ports are either underpowered or setup as an unpowered hub instead of true USB ports.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Glorya,

Just to be clear about this .... Have you actually gone into Windows Explorer or My Computer and tried to navigate to the Kindle? You need to look at the list of disk drives. You'll see your C drive and maybe one or two others as usual. You should also see a drive that represents your Kindle. On my system, it is Drive E, but yours might be different. When you double-click on that drive, you should see the three folders within the Kindle.

My apologies if this is stating the obvious.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
glorya

I tried multiple USB ports on my Dell (both front and back) and that didn't help. Also, when I go to My Computer, it does not show the Kindle as an appliance, drive, or whatever. It only shows my C Drive, two optical drives and my printer. No Kindle ... I forgot to tell you all that my laptop is one year older than my Dell so it couldn't be that my Dell is so old (less than 2 years old).

Last edited by glorya; 04-10-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added information
Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Glorya,

Can you try the Kindle with another computer? That would tell you if it was the Kindle or the computer that's at fault.

Do you know anyone nearby who owns a Kindle? If so, have them try their Kindle with your computer.

The only variable I can think of is the cable, although that's the least likely to be the weak link.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok... can we start at the beginning? In your OP you said that you tried using "safely remove hardware". Did the kindle show up on the list of USB devices in the remove hardware dialog?

BOb
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
glorya

No, my Kindle has NEVER been recognized in my Dell. i think I have mentioned several times that I have changed USB ports using my Dell, and I have mentioned that MY Kindle is recognized in my laptop, which is another computer. Perhaps this thread is getting TOO LONG and it is hard for all those of you who are trying to help me to read from the beginning and I can sympathize with you and appreciate your efforts. Whatever questions are being asked have been talked about previously, and I don't know what else is in store for me.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

You say it's a Dell Inspiron 8400 desktop? In looking at Dell's support area for drivers the only 8400 desktop I come up with that has that model number is a Dimension (not Inspiron) is that your model? (is it a P4 machine)

The only things I can think of trying are making sure the BIOS and Chipset drivers are the most recent. That or trying a separate USB card.

You said you tried the reset button. I'm assuming you mean the slider on the Kindle and that you did in fact actually reset it. (that's been a solution for some folks USB problems)
Old 04-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
A lot of people have had problems with their Kindles not being recognized by computer ports, and various solutions have worked for different people.

1. First thing is try all the ports... you've done that, good.
2. Second thing is to reset your Kindle... you can do this from the settings screen, menu, Reset (not the factory defaults one). Unplug your Kindle first, then plug it back in after the Kindle is done rebooting (it will take a few minutes) and see if your computer sees it then.
3. If that doesn't work, you can try changing the drive letters on your computer, but you're not really computer literate so there's no easy way to guide you through that. So skip that idea.
4. Try turning your computer off, plug the Kindle 2 in while the computer is still off, then turn the computer on. It's possible it will now be able to talk your Kindle after it boots all the way up.
5. Finally, you can try buying a powered USB hub, and plug that into your PC, and plug the Kindle into the hub.
6. You can also try returning your Kindle for a replacement, but if the problem is your PC then a replacement Kindle won't be any different.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote