Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Wanted: EPUB testbed e-reader - what's good and cheap

All,

I have decided to do some more Public Domain works. Since Mobi and Epub seem to be leading the race as formats, I need to port to those 2 formats.

When I am done, I want to check out the results on a common e-reader for the format. Mobi is easy, buy the cheapest Kindle. But for checking out the Epub, I don't know...

What do you think?

(P.S. I not going to use either one as my e-reader, so things like folders don't matter. I perfectly pleased with my ASTAK/BeBook 6" with OpenInkPot...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The Sony 300 is on sale -- some have picked it up for $40 at local Target stores. That might work for EPUB
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since you are not dealing with DRM, why can't you use OpenInkPot? It claims suport for epub at http://openinkpot.org/wiki/SupportedFormats
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The older Sonys (everything except the 900 and the new 350 and 650) are not a good choice, unless you are looking for a lowest common denominator. They have a very old version of mobile Adobe Digital Editions.

FBReader isn't a good choice because it does not fully support ePub (e.g. no SVG, different handling of images, not all CSS).

At one point the Windows Sony Reader was a good test for mobile Digital Editions because, unlike Adobe's own Windows Digital Editions, it is based on the mobile code base. It has moved further away from strict emulation of Sony Readers, but it may still be good enough for verification (and is free). It still displays text in a 600x800 reader pane for example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Used Bookeen models pop up on eBay occasionally and sell for ~$100.

Another option is the Kobo.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert