Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1 T3
Testmode app on sony DPT-S1

Testmode on DPT-S1 is as shown in the pictures. What interests me is the "Update Sony Reader file" which does not exist in the early versions of Testmode app. "Update Sony Reader file" requires "sr.bin" file, anybody konw more details about it? I think it's a newly introduced way of updating the reader. Maybe it can do some help to hacking the devide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	2218
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	120103   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	1918
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	120104  
Yokowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
skipper113
skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!skipper113 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: DPT-S1
Could you teach me how you got into testmode?
skipper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
Could you teach me how you got into testmode?
see PM
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
tenroster
tenroster began at the beginning.

Test mode

Hi,

I am interested to this feature for create a custom firmware. Can you send me in pm ?

thanks,

Laurent
tenroster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
maakros
maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony DPT-S1
What is PM?
maakros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
tenroster

Private message

For the moment i wait i have no information from Yokowa.

I try to reverse the firmware update, it's like encrypted but i plan to use an usb sniffer for my first test.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
maakros
maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Thanks. I would love to get the English firmware at some point. I guess I'll have to wait until the English version is officially released in the states.
maakros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Yokowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenroster View Post
I try to reverse the firmware update, it's like encrypted but i plan to use an usb sniffer for my first test.
The official firmware updater is a simple zip file. The updater simply copys the decompressed file "DPT-S1 Updater.package" to the internal storage and reboots the device in Recovery mode. The magic is in the encrypted file "DPT-S1 Updater.package" . So I think data through USB are not useful to firmware hacking.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
tenroster

you are right, the update software put directly the encrypted file "DPT-S1 Updater" on the root of the dpt-s1.

I think the file is directly decrypted by the device, so we need an exploit inside the device to gain more privilege or we need to do an invasive attack on the hardware part to try to find the decryption key. That's a shame.

Somebody have try an other approach ?

For information, i have put the us "DPT-S1 Updater" file in the jp DPT S1, the jp DPT S1 haven't change the jp firmware.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
dim_adr
dim_adr began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 6'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokowa View Post
see PM
could you PM me also? thank you
dim_adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
cmw
cmw began at the beginning.

Yeah the files have sigs and are version matched. Will require bit more of a hack then just swapping out the files

Last edited by cmw; 07-22-2014 at 04:05 PM.
cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
freedomlove
freedomlove began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokowa View Post
see PM
Dear Yokowa, could you please also PM me the way to test mode app? Thanks a lot.
freedomlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #13
joedoe
joedoe began at the beginning.

Device: sony dpt-s1
Hi Yokowa, can you please PM me how to get into testmode, thanks
joedoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Why this secret? No intellectual property is infringed...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
pacolepain
pacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to beholdpacolepain is a marvel to behold

Would womeone be so kind to send me the procedure to enter the testmode ?

I would like to see if Japanese last firmware could be used with my US version... someone tried ?
pacolepain is offline   Reply With Quote