Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
curiousDave
curiousDave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Desktop Calibre to Win10 Tablet

After over 5 years, my Note 3 finally fizzled out and I've picked up a pretty nice 8" windows tablet running Windows 10.

The way I used the Note3 was to simply hook it to my desktop via USB, told Calibre where I wanted the books to go and that was it. (I should probably mention the Note3 was broke and rooted; don't know whether I could have done it that way if it weren't.) From then on, Calibre handled the Note3 as though it were a library; all I had to do was click the new titles I wanted onto the Note3 and which ones I wanted off. Done.

Does anyone know whether that is possible with a Win10 tablet? If not, what is recommended as the best way to transfer books to the new tablet?
curiousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your tablet shows up as an MTP device when plugged in over USB it should owrk the same. If not, then your best bet is to use the content server to transfer wirelessly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
curiousDave

First, let me say it is an honor to have you answer my post.
Next, I left what is probably an important point out of my question post. When I connected the note3, it showed up in Calibre as a device; I was then able to select a location, etc. I rather doubt Win10 will allow such a hookup.
Finally, I will try the server. Maybe I'll get it right this time.
Thanks for your efforts in bringing some sanity to the eBook world. My library (only 2,000 volumes - small compared to others I'm sure) would be chaos were it not for Calibre.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah thats what I meant when I said if it shows up as an MTP device. If it does it will show up in windows explorer and calibre should be able to detect it. If not the server is your best bet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
curiousDave

Server Works

Kovid,
The server option worked perfectly. I had tried that several times before with no success but this time perfecto!
Never could get the tablet recognized as an MTD.
Thank You for your time and assistance.
Dave
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
curiousDave

"P" MTP! Duh!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The other approach when connecting a Windows 10 reading device (tablet, notebook, ...) and another Windows or Mac "main" computer running calibre is to use network file sharing and calibre's "Save to Disk" pointed to a shared folder on the reading device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote