Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
PapaKilo
Connoisseur
PapaKilo began at the beginning.

Device: Android, kindle
Customized New Document

Is there a way to customize what goes into the document when you click on File - New or open the program.

I sure would like to have it include the css and fonts I use on every new document when I create a new one.

Is it embedded in the code or in an included file that can be changed?

PapaKilo.
PapaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You can load any epub file you choose that has the skeleton / features you want and then simply use save-as to your desired fire name theteby never changing the original epub file.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^^ +1

I have set the shortcut to open my default epub that has my default files...works great!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
A few months ago we also had an eerily similar discussion in the topic UUID basics & template.

Everyone chipped in their ideas/methods for template EPUBs.

Doitsu even created a rough-draft Sigil Plugin, EpubTemplate, to make it easy.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@PapaKilo said:
"I sure would like to have it include the css and fonts I use on every new document when I create a new one."

The above comment seems to suggests that you are not importing an epub into Sigil. Are you importing html into Sigil?

There are several Sigil plugin converters that will certainly include css and embedded fonts in the new epub. Diap's DOCXImport plugin or Doitsu's ODTImport(ODT to Epub) might fit your requirement depending on your original doctype. Another plugin you could possibly try is HTML2Epub - which automatically converts various different html doctypes to epub -- this plugin will create a css but will not import embedded fonts. You might also be interested in the TagMechanic or StyleBender plugins for Sigil. Just read the release notes. Have a look at The Sigil Plugin Index for more information. Lots of choice here.

As a last resort you could also try converting your doc to epub using Calibre. With this app, you can certainly choose to embed fonts and import styles how you like before you convert to epub. But, from an app user point of view, Calibre is a wee bit more complicated than Sigil so there will be a learning curve involved if you've never used it before.

Last edited by slowsmile; 04-24-2018 at 11:08 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You can load any epub file you choose that has the skeleton / features you want and then simply use save-as to your desired fire name theteby never changing the original epub file.
Yeah, I'm doing that. Just lazy and sometimes I forget to Save As.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
^^^^ +1

I have set the shortcut to open my default epub that has my default files...works great!
Interesting, I'll have to try that.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
A few months ago we also had an eerily similar discussion in the topic UUID basics & template.

Everyone chipped in their ideas/methods for template EPUBs.

Doitsu even created a rough-draft Sigil Plugin, EpubTemplate, to make it easy.
I'll look into this one too.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
@PapaKilo said:
"I sure would like to have it include the css and fonts I use on every new document when I create a new one."

The above comment seems to suggests that you are not importing an epub into Sigil. Are you importing html into Sigil?

There are several Sigil plugin converters that will certainly include css and embedded fonts in the new epub. Diap's DOCXImport plugin or Doitsu's ODTImport(ODT to Epub) might fit your requirement depending on your original doctype. Another plugin you could possibly try is HTML2Epub - which automatically converts various different html doctypes to epub -- this plugin will create a css but will not import embedded fonts. You might also be interested in the TagMechanic or StyleBender plugins for Sigil. Just read the release notes. Have a look at The Sigil Plugin Index for more information. Lots of choice here.

As a last resort you could also try converting your doc to epub using Calibre. With this app, you can certainly choose to embed fonts and import styles how you like before you convert to epub. But, from an app user point of view, Calibre is a wee bit more complicated than Sigil so there will be a learning curve involved if you've never used it before.
I do use DocXImport when appropriate. Don't like Calibre css. then I have to go in and change all their code.

And I don't import much , if any, html if I can help it.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKilo View Post
[ . . . ] and sometimes I forget to Save As.
I avoid doing that by copying the template I want from my templates directory into my working directory. rename it, and then open it with Sigil. I also have my templates Read only in case I forget to do that

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@PapaKilo...Back in the early days when I uploaded epub, I used templates. First I would create a Word template for novels. Then after creating my epub for the first time as I like it I would save the epub stylesheet as my epub template. You only have to do this once. Thereafter I would create my other novels always using the same Word template and save that to html. Then I would import the html doc into Sigil, convert to epub and just swap out the stylesheet with my original epub template - and the epub would automatically be formatted exactly as I prefer it. The key to this template method is that all the style names used in the Word template must be exactly the same as in my saved epub template. So when I swapped the stylesheets there was no extra css or html formatting needed because it was already done.

Last edited by slowsmile; 04-25-2018 at 10:46 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #12
PapaKilo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I avoid doing that by copying the template I want from my templates directory into my working directory. rename it, and then open it with Sigil. I also have my templates Read only in case I forget to do that

BR
Good thought! Sometimes I wonder why I don't think of this stuff myself. Oh well, over the hill I guess.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
make the template read only.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM   #14
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
^^^^ +1

Another way that works for me is, I have a folder set that contains my CSS, all the font files I'll be using, and even several pages that are standard between epubs (i.e., the cover page and often the title page as well as the first chapter). Then, open a new, blank document, click the add files button (+), import all the files, and you have a new, custom epub. Also, that way I can have one folder for, say, Heinlein, and another for Koontz, and each has their own individual formats and fonts.
Quote:
Me too. So set the attributes on your template file to read-only. Then you'll get that scary but harmless error message "...Sigil may have to close" when you try to save.

Last edited by JustinThought; 04-26-2018 at 09:51 AM.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #15
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Many thanks for this thread!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customize, new document