Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
"New" Kobo Touch Impressions/Questions

Received my new (to me) Kobo Touch today. It was in good condition, the bezel and back looked almost new, but somehow the former owner had managed to build up a layer of "scum" on the screen. Cleaned easily with water on a micro-fiber cloth, but I've never seen a screen look like that before. The Touch booted fine, but every time I tried to read the one book (a Math Study Guide) it would lock up. Figured that's probably why the former owner quit using it. A factory reset and then ... how do I set this up?

I didn't realize the Kobo Touch (firmware release 3.6.x) apparently had no WiFi until you set it up via Kobo's Desktop software. Ah well, I dug out the laptop that has Windows 8.1 on one partition and set it up from there (also got the newest firmware release – which may, or may not, be a good thing. I don't know). This process took longer than I thought it would but – eventually – I had a factory reset Kobo touch with my 28 Kobo books (apparently loaded on to the Kobo) and everything seemed to work without a hitch. I felt like I should have checked to see if this could have been done in Linux and whether or not the release should have been held back for some reason, but what is, is what is.

First my impressions. I like Touch quite a bit. Feels solid, has a bright, easy to read, screen. I like the "Touch" home button (just like the Kindle Touch). I like the feel of the device in my hand. The screen is brighter than my Glo screen was (without the light) and there's no comparison between the Touch and the Kobo Wifi (the Wifi and Glo were the only other Kobos I've owned).

I installed my Constantia and Bookerly fonts (at first I put them in ".fonts" directory – with the period for hidden – so they didn't show up until I renamed the folder to "fonts" instead. Then they showed up without even rebooting.

I've also taken advantage of the "full page" hack (I remember now that I set that up on my Glo as well). So all is good.

I do have one question, though. I sent a book I converted from Kindle to ePub (embedding the Constantia font). If I use the Publisher font option, it displays as it should (italics, bold, etc., correct). If I choose Constantia instead, what's supposed to be italicized is "bolded" instead. The fonts built into the Kobo display correctly. Is there something I need to change in the name of the fonts? So far this is my only issue, and the problem is probably self-inflicted.

Thanks.

EDIT: Meant to mention. The Kobo Touch's screen seems more responsive than did the Glo's screen.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I do have one question, though. I sent a book I converted from Kindle to ePub (embedding the Constantia font). If I use the Publisher font option, it displays as it should (italics, bold, etc., correct). If I choose Constantia instead, what's supposed to be italicized is "bolded" instead. The fonts built into the Kobo display correctly. Is there something I need to change in the name of the fonts? So far this is my only issue, and the problem is probably self-inflicted.
It could be a font filenaming problem but as you haven't given any details it's hard to say

However, it's just as likely that it is a problem with one of the internal metrics (Panose weight) of Constantia. This same problem has arisen before with Amazon's Ember and Bookerley fonts.

I did a step-by-step on how to fix this kind of problem. I used Ember as the example but you can fix Constantia in the same way if you have the time and inclination. The original thread is here, posts #2 and #9.

Someone also consolidated the details to the Wiki if you prefer to read it there.

ETA: It's also a good idea to do a full Power off/on after sideloading fonts.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-16-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I didn't realize the Kobo Touch (firmware release 3.6.x) apparently had no WiFi until you set it up via Kobo's Desktop software.
That's not correct. The WiFi worked on all version of the firmware released for the Touch. It definitely works on my Touch immediately after a factory reset. And that takes it back to 1.9.11. And I've had every version since then installed on it with no issues with the WiFi.

There have been some issues where the WiFi stopped working for some reason. There is a fix to clear one of the store files. Maybe that is what was needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It could be a font filenaming problem but as you haven't given any details it's hard to say
It was the names. I had shortened "Constantia" to "Const." Once I renamed the four fonts everything worked fine. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's not correct. The WiFi worked on all version of the firmware released for the Touch. It definitely works on my Touch immediately after a factory reset. And that takes it back to 1.9.11. And I've had every version since then installed on it with no issues with the WiFi.

There have been some issues where the WiFi stopped working for some reason. There is a fix to clear one of the store files. Maybe that is what was needed.
Okay. I didn't know what it was supposed to do. I just know that, after doing a factory reset, it wouldn't let me enter in WiFi information and it gave me kobosetup.com as the web address I needed for setting up the Touch. But, I admit, I didn't really look into this too deeply. I just went down the path of least resistance. Everything's up and running now. I need to check to see which store this one came from. It's the "B" version of the Touch.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay. I didn't know what it was supposed to do. I just know that, after doing a factory reset, it wouldn't let me enter in WiFi information and it gave me kobosetup.com as the web address I needed for setting up the Touch. But, I admit, I didn't really look into this too deeply. I just went down the path of least resistance. Everything's up and running now. I need to check to see which store this one came from. It's the "B" version of the Touch.
I think I misunderstood something. Firmware 3.6.x (which has to be a typo as this wasn't ever released to the public) supported WiFi. But, a factory reset returns the device to much older firmware. For an N905B Touch, this should be 1.9.x. My N905 Touch factory reset is to 1.9.11. I'm sure that allows setup via WiFi, but, from memory, it isn't immediately obvious that it can be done. And I'll admit I don't remember if I have ever used it. I do factory reset on my Touch frequently to test things, and do the setup via the PC so I can fiddle with it.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I think I misunderstood something. Firmware 3.6.x (which has to be a typo as this wasn't ever released to the public) supported WiFi. But, a factory reset returns the device to much older firmware. For an N905B Touch, this should be 1.9.x. My N905 Touch factory reset is to 1.9.11. I'm sure that allows setup via WiFi, but, from memory, it isn't immediately obvious that it can be done. And I'll admit I don't remember if I have ever used it. I do factory reset on my Touch frequently to test things, and do the setup via the PC so I can fiddle with it.
I see. I didn't realize the factory reset went to an older firmware version. (And I'm not absolutely sure it was 3.6.x before the factory reset (I may have mis-remembered). It was 3.something, I'm pretty sure there was a "6" there somewhere. Before it was reset I could see the WiFi signal, it wanted to connect to WiFi. After the factory reset, there was a WiFi section in settings, but it couldn't find anything. I didn't think to check the firmware version after the factory reset. I just figure it was designed to be setup via the computer instead of WiFi. At any, the setup via computer worked fine.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see. I didn't realize the factory reset went to an older firmware version.
A "factory reset" does exactly what it says. It returns the device to the out-of-the-factory state. That includes reinstalling the original firmware.
Quote:
(And I'm not absolutely sure it was 3.6.x before the factory reset (I may have mis-remembered). It was 3.something, I'm pretty sure there was a "6" there somewhere. Before it was reset I could see the WiFi signal, it wanted to connect to WiFi. After the factory reset, there was a WiFi section in settings, but it couldn't find anything. I didn't think to check the firmware version after the factory reset. I just figure it was designed to be setup via the computer instead of WiFi. At any, the setup via computer worked fine.
And that's the important thing. Go and read a book
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You fixed it, but just as future advice: If you install a font and it displays weird (particularly bolding all italics), try turning the device off and on.

I had problems with Bookerly doing the same thing and nothing, including Jackie's advice worked. Then I restarted it and now it works as expected.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You fixed it, but just as future advice: If you install a font and it displays weird (particularly bolding all italics), try turning the device off and on.
In this case, I think I did. (Can't be positive, but pretty sure.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I had problems with Bookerly doing the same thing and nothing, including Jackie's advice worked. Then I restarted it and now it works as expected.
I'll test this with Bookerly because I haven't fixed it yet.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-17-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
A "factory reset" does exactly what it says. It returns the device to the out-of-the-factory state. That includes reinstalling the original firmware.
I got thinking about this. The reason I didn't see this coming is because a "factory reset" with a Kindle really means clearing the device of all personal settings, but it does NOT reset the firmware to an earlier version. I guess it's not really a "factory reset" but this is what I was used to.

I can see where the Kobo method would be an advantage for hacking -- there's usually no "turning back" on a Kindle.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
I got thinking about this. The reason I didn't see this coming is because a "factory reset" with a Kindle really means clearing the device of all personal settings,
Kobo does that if you "log out" on the device.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote