Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
@notimp
Do you have proof of this statement?
"90+% of "eBooks" used in the Amazon ecosystem are KFX right now, everything else is wishful thinking. Lets hear it for an industry that made none of you care about the format anymore. Except a handful of idealists."
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It can be the very latest Kindle, and should not be ancient if you want KF8.
I bow to your better knowledge of Kindle models. However, it would still require me to buy an eink Kindle I'd never read on because it wouldn't have the capabilities I consider most important. It would be like having to pay a membership fee to enter a shop I decided to shop elsewhere 2 years ago - whilst there still exists an 'elsewhere', of course.

Out of interest, what is the newest eink Kindle model which cannot read KFX format and what year was it launched?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Out of interest, what is the newest eink Kindle model which cannot read KFX format and what year was it launched?
That would be the original Paperwhite, Amazon calls it 5th Generation, launched October 2012.

(Some more recent models originally shipped without KFX support and added it later via a firmware update.)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That would be the original Paperwhite, Amazon calls it 5th Generation, launched October 2012.
Thanks for the info. So the batteries are already 5 years old. I wonder how long they'll last?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So the batteries are already 5 years old. I wonder how long they'll last?
What difference does it make? As j.p.s. said, you can own a brand new Kindle and you will still get KF8 if you download from your account on the website, and you can download from the website as long as you have an e-ink Kindle attached to your account...it doesn't have to be a *functioning* Kindle, you just have to be able to get it registered.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If they do somehow switch to KFX only, that might save me from myself (buying more books). Looking at my library, which is small compared to many here, I am covered for new novels until I'm 96 years old at my typical reading speed of about one book per month. If I'm still kicking after that, I guess I can go back and re-read a few of my favorites. But by then, I figure the Kindle's battery will be long dead, and people won't even remember what a Kindle is (was).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What difference does it make? As j.p.s. said, you can own a brand new Kindle and you will still get KF8 if you download from your account on the website
Is it guaranteed that Amazon will never be able to download a KFX to KFX-enabled devices using this method? This is an honest question, not sarcasm

I have Android devices and Amazon have chosen not to allow a download-to-PC option for me. Isn't it conceivable they could do the same for other devices?

I realise all this is ifs, buts and maybes, but we all decide how much we allow big corporations to do as they please as far as it affects our own little world. I have no illusions about the altruism of the corporate world.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it guaranteed that Amazon will never be able to download a KFX to KFX-enabled devices using this method? This is an honest question, not sarcasm
There is no guarantee. With software changes Amazon could download books for USB transfer in KFX format.

The same applies to all of the other e-book stores. Any of them could change their file format or DRM scheme in the future.

We have to deal with things as they are and adapt when we see changes coming.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
There is no guarantee. With software changes Amazon could download books for USB transfer in KFX format.

The same applies to all of the other e-book stores. Any of them could change their file format or DRM scheme in the future.

We have to deal with things as they are and adapt when we see changes coming.
I suspect what is saving us in this particular situation is the nightmare to amazon for customer service trying to explain the need to locate and copy multiple files for a single book and the names of the particular files for for the book that customer wants on the kindle right now or sooner.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post

- DRM always being part of it -
Question to anyone that knows:

Does Amazon deliver books as KFX that the author/publisher stipulate no DRM?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #26
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Question to anyone that knows:

I just downloaded The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson to see since it is a Tor book with no DRM. It did download with the Enhanced Typography so it would be KFX.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Amazon doesn't promise no DRM. They just state "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" for some books, which means that they are not locked to a single Kindle device or account. In MOBI or KF8 format those books have no DRM. In KFX format they do have DRM, but all use the same generic encryption key.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Amazon doesn't promise no DRM. They just state "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" for some books, which means that they are not locked to a single Kindle device or account. In MOBI or KF8 format those books have no DRM. In KFX format they do have DRM, but all use the same generic encryption key.
Is this anything to worry about now or in the immediate future?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks. I guess that succeeds in inserting a shade of gray.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is this anything to worry about now or in the immediate future?
Frog. Water. Getting warmer. No one can say when or if "too hot" will happen.