Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #1
chipmunks
chipmunks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question eBooks showing up on device library but NOT on "Content and Devices"

I was unsuccessful in troubleshooting my Kindle issues after spending 4 hours chatting with Amazon's customer service. I also searched all over the net but no dice. Would really appreciate your help.

What I'm working with:
  • Calibre Version 5.14
  • Kindle Paperwhite Firmware Version 5.13.4
  • Kindle device was previously registered to a different Amazon account, but
  • have since deregistered it and registered it to my new/current Amazon account.

Steps I've taken:
  • deregistered and re-registered kindle device
  • factory reset kindle device
  • enabled Whispersync (both on device and "Content and Devices" page)
  • ensure email address (gmail) is listed under “Approved Personal Document E-Mail List”
  • Files converted to mobi have [EBOK] personal doc tag

Issues:

Calibre “Send to Device” USB Transfer
  • azw3 = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • mobi = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • pdf = shows up on kindle device library (under “docs”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)

Calibre Connect/Share
  • mobi = does NOT show on BOTH kindle device library and my cd page (Calibre jobs window shows file was successfully “sent” but does NOT show file being on device)

Gmail Email Attachment
  • mobi, txt, pdf = shows up on kindle device library AND my cd page (under “docs”)

My biggest concern is being unable to use Calibre's USB transfer to sideload an azw3 file (since this is my preferred file type). I had no problem using Calibre's "Send to Device" to sideload azw3 files in the past, but I'm not sure what's happening now.
chipmunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Connect your device: Right click on the (connected ) device icon: Configure
Make sure the desired SUPPORTED formats include AZW3
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
chipmunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Connect your device: Right click on the (connected ) device icon: Configure
Make sure the desired SUPPORTED formats include AZW3
unfortunately, azw3 is included in the supported formats, but still no luck.

when sideloaded via Calibre's "Send to Device," files (azw3, mobi, pdf, txt) show up on the device library and have a green check mark in Calibre's "on device" column, but none of them show up on my "Content and Devices" page on my amazon account (searched both "docs" and "books" dropdown options)
Old 04-04-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sideloading doesnt add files to your cloud library you have to use send by email for that. All sideloading will do is make the book show up on your device, thats it. And if it isnt showing up on your device, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...id-not-show-up
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunks View Post
Calibre “Send to Device” USB Transfer
  • azw3 = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • mobi = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • pdf = shows up on kindle device library (under “docs”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
That is pretty much an expected behaviour. Unless you purchase the book from Amazon or send it using email to Kindle, Amazon does not show it on the Content and Devices page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
chipmunks

Thank you! I'm sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, but I did try to send it using email to Kindle (calibre's Connect/share) and the file did not show up in neither my device library nor Amazon's "Content and Devices" page. However, it did work when I directly emailed the file by attaching it to an email and sending it that way. So I guess, the issue would be why Calibre's Connect/Share isn't working for me.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
chipmunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sideloading doesnt add files to your cloud library you have to use send by email for that. All sideloading will do is make the book show up on your device, thats it. And if it isnt showing up on your device, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...id-not-show-up
Thank you! I was mistaken to think that sideloading via usb transfer would add non-Amazon files to my cloud/"Content and Devices" page. However, I'm not sure why the Connect/Share option isn't working out for me? I tried emailing a file using that route and it neither showed up on my device library nor my "Content and Devices" page. I assumed it would at least show up under the "Docs" dropdown?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@chipmunks: Please do not double post as you did with this thread and the duplicate first message thread in the Kindle forum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunks View Post
Thank you! I was mistaken to think that sideloading via usb transfer would add non-Amazon files to my cloud/"Content and Devices" page. However, I'm not sure why the Connect/Share option isn't working out for me? I tried emailing a file using that route and it neither showed up on my device library nor my "Content and Devices" page. I assumed it would at least show up under the "Docs" dropdown?
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-using-calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, sideload