Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-17-2021, 04:24 AM   #1
alij2021
alij2021 began at the beginning.

Device: Smartphone
Screencapture tool for ebooks

Hi,

I have some ebooks and right now I am doing a project which I need to save some of the pages. The best way I am doing it screencapture the related page. However, I find it time consuming because there are many pages to screencapture so that I can share with my group work. This is because each time I am screencapture, it opens on a new window then I need to save.

I am searching a screencapture tool, which can do these, while I am opening my ebook full screen:

1/ A tool which can capture by region.
2/ Once I established the region to capture, it should remain like this. Because I need to have the ability to browse pages behind and choose which page to capture by letting the region window to remain.
3/ Capturing images will be saved automatically in a file in the background.

So, in a nutshell, I open an ebook in full screen view. I open the screencapture tool and choose region window mode and draw the region. Each time I press the print-screen button, it is capturing the images and saving them automatically in a folder, by allowing me to browse the ebook pages as well. I do ot want the region window to disappear each time I capture. It is like a bulk capture feature.

Do you know a tool?
alij2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Do it on the PC. (Mac OS, Window, Linux).
Copy & paste in Calibre Viewer.

Screen captures are really to capture graphic layout. Doing it on an actual ereader is very brand specific. Android & iOS screen captures for Apps vary a lot by model.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alij2021 View Post
Hi,

I have some ebooks and right now I am doing a project which I need to save some of the pages. The best way I am doing it screencapture the related page. However, I find it time consuming because there are many pages to screencapture so that I can share with my group work. This is because each time I am screencapture, it opens on a new window then I need to save.

I am searching a screencapture tool, which can do these, while I am opening my ebook full screen:

2/ Once I established the region to capture, it should remain like this. Because I need to have the ability to browse pages behind and choose which page to capture by letting the region window to remain.

So, in a nutshell, I open an ebook in full screen view. I open the screencapture tool and choose region window mode and draw the region. Each time I press the print-screen button, it is capturing the images and saving them automatically in a folder, by allowing me to browse the ebook pages as well. I do ot want the region window to disappear each time I capture. It is like a bulk capture feature.

Do you know a tool?
Recent versions of macOS would do this. The capture region you select would remain the same next time you invoke screen capture (Shift Command 5). You don’t need to full screen anything, just set the application window up the way you want it, and then establish the capture zone within that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many eBooks do you need to grab pages from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I did a few screen captures once by simply placing the Kindle face down on a scanner... worked fine.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I did a few screen captures once by simply placing the Kindle face down on a scanner... worked fine.
Someone even made a Lego bot to turn the pages. A decent camera phone on a holder can work well enough.

Part of proof that DRM only benefits people selling DRM. And DRM benefits expert commercial piracy by limiting competition.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I once screencaptured an entire 300-"page" ebook in Android, while waiting for an oil change. Hit button sequence, flip page, repeat. iOS would be just as simple.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
ShareX, free tool for Windows.
https://getsharex.com/

Incredibly powerful, you can define actions and "workflows" that are like an automated sequence of steps that occur when you capture an image (open it an editor, or save it, or copy to clipboard, or upload it to imgur/other places, or some combination of these). You can let it take over your PrtScrn key on your system, and you can define shortcuts for example use Ctrl + PrtScrn to capture regions, Alt + PrtSrn to capture active app window, etc. You can also predefine the SIZE of a region capture that you want, for the case the OP describes, repeatedly capturing the same region as you flip pages. Of course, you could also just capture active app window with something like ALT + PrtScrn, would have the same result except it'd include the app menus/icons of whatever reader app you're using.

The UI takes a little getting used to, but it's the most powerful screen capture, lightweight image editor, file uploader, etc., utility that I have tried. I have it now so when I do a screen catpure with CTRL + PrtScrn, it lets me grab a region, when done, it copies to clipboard, saves to my cloud account, and also uploads to my imgur account. All automated.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I used to use a screen capture tool that came with Paint Shop Pro for very many years on Windows. It was sold to Corel and last good version was the pre-Corel PSP7, which I think didn't work on Windows 7.

Alt PrtScn captures only the active window on Linux.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was an old PSP4 snipper.
Then I discovered widows (7> )Snipping tool that allows basic captures : Full, window, area (and a custom irregular)
It has been superseded by Snip & Sketch, but I usually just use the older one for my MR screen posts
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by alij2021 View Post
I have some ebooks and right now I am doing a project which I need to save some of the pages.

[...]

[...]

Do you know a tool?
You can use AutoHotKey:

https://www.autohotkey.com/

plus an AHK script:

AutoHotKey forum: "Is it possible to use printscreen to save an image"

AutoHotKey is a very powerful macro program which allows you to automate/remap nearly anything:

For example, making your mouse's side-button do complicated commands (such as taking/cropping a screenshot and saving to a file). This could turn your current workflow:

1. Take screenshot.
2. Copy/paste into program.
3. Crop image at specific points.
4. Save As
5. Make sure to save in correct location, rename filename, etc.

into a simple/fast:

1. Scroll mousewheel down to move to next page
2. Press mouse side-button
--- AHK automatically screenshots, crops, and saves image into folder.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-07-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote