Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #16
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
nope - just did it very carefully like you warned - completely changed my instrument. It's now actually in tune!
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I sometimes post at AGF under "joehempel", it's pretty active yeah, but it seems when you ask about guitars most of them are like "you should go to this luthier and get one made."
Sorry, I don't have $10,000 laying around. LOL

There is a TON of talent and knowledge though.

I usually go to guitarnoise.com or forum.vanderbilly.com

David Hodge of Guitarnoise.com and Acoustic Guitar Magazine actually bought and did a review of my CD
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
hagglepadge
hagglepadge began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thank you for this +1

I have been trying to get to grips with a Kala uke that I had at Christmas, and from what I have read so far I have got answers to things that were confusing me!
hagglepadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Hagglepadge- Kalas make decent ukes so you should be good from here on. Email me on address in book if you have any questions.
bazmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #20
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JHempel- i know exactly what you mean about the guitar community. I have played guitar for 20 years, and I find that a lot of times, the internet community can be quite stuffy and snobbish.

The uke community on the other hand - wow. I am involved on a couple of boards, and I can honestly say they are the friendliest bunch.

That happy instrument rubs off, obviously!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
JHempel- i know exactly what you mean about the guitar community. I have played guitar for 20 years, and I find that a lot of times, the internet community can be quite stuffy and snobbish.

The uke community on the other hand - wow. I am involved on a couple of boards, and I can honestly say they are the friendliest bunch.

That happy instrument rubs off, obviously!
Guitarnoise.com and vanderbilly.com will treat you like family, as far as guitar sites go. We've even setup times where everyone would travel to meet each other and jam. Vanderbilly is especially that way.

delcamp.net I got kicked out of because it was more about what guitar you played rather than making good music. It's a really snotty Classical site.

Ukuleleundeground is FANTASTIC for Ukulele....very informative and very very helpful and friendly......well, crap....now I've UAS....thanks guys. :P
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
bazmaz
Uke strummer

lol!

UAS is horrible aint it...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah, especially since I sold my Ukulele a while a go and have been looking for a decent used one for under a $100. Throw some Aquila strings on it, and hopefully be good! LOL, still haven't found one though. When people buy Ukes they tend to hold on to them.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Best uke (IMHO) for somebody not wanting to spend loads is without a doubt the Makala Dolphin series.

I own some ukes costing hundreds, but also have a Dolphin propped by the side of my chair in the living room. It probably gets played more than any other. It also gets thrown in the trunk of my car, and I have also gigged with it.

Its superb!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #25
jhempel24
Wizard

Does the dolphin have concert or tenor? I have played those and loved them. But I thought they were only soprano.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
bazmaz
Uke strummer

sadly, the dolphin is only soprano

just a great little standby beater uke, that needs little consideration on price, and plays much better than it should.

I am of the view that the dolphin is, when set up, and with aquilas on it, is better than most ukes up to two or three times its price.

It's my only recommendation to noobs asking what uke to buy for no money. Breaks my heart when people tell me they bought an entry Mahalo.

Back to reality - the book is going well - on the UK Amazon site, its #11 in the Kindle music book chart - WOW - THANK YOU!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Totally agree Barry - I play a Dolphin uke too - its brilliant!
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Every home should have one

(even my 18 month daughter has one!!)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hello, bazmaz, and welcome to MobileRead.

I just bought your book from Smashwords and read the first three chapters. Nice work!

I have 8 ukes in my collection, but the ones I always end up playing are my two KoAlohas. I'll play the Pineapple Sunday for a while, thinking it's my favorite, then I'll go through a phase where I mostly play my Concert KoAloha with the same thought in mind.

I think you have a really good point about not starting too cheap. The price tags on the super-low end models look inviting, but when a new player ends up with an instrument that sounds bad and won't stay in tune, it can really be discouraging. Although I've never played one, from everything I've heard, I'd recommend starting with a Fluke or a Flea. Both are relatively inexpensive, have had great reviews, and many players swear by them.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #30
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Thank you very much WT

You have some lovely ukuleles in your collection, and sorry if the book is a bit below your level. It was written to provide concise info to beginners. It started as an idea in the vain hope I could avoid people buying firewood ukes and being put off.

A Koaloha or a Kamaka are on my dream uke list!

I started with bad ukes, but then jumped to a Flea and loved it. That said, did then buy a dolphin, and I think they are about the best bang for buck beginner uke out there - low outlay, and IF bought from a good shop with a set up, they are really good fun.

Keep strumming!