Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
shiney19
shiney19 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
sony Reader software for PRS 500 mac compatible

I've got a sony prs 500 and because I live in the UK Sony will not pay the postage for my Sony PRS 500 to be upgraded to use Epub format files. I have just bought a Mac and require a copy of the old mac software which is compatitble with the prs 500 and a mac. I know the software was available a while ago. Sony have been of no help at all

Thanks
shiney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Would calibre do what you need?

I'll ask the mods to relocate this thread down to the Sony section, so that the people who might have the old software are more likely to spot it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
shiney19

Thank you

Hi

Thanks for the reply - I do use Calibre but would prefer to use the actual software
Old 06-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What version was it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
shiney19

Hi Guys

Sony have emailed to to say that there was never a mac version for the Prs 500

Typical Sony!!

Thanks for your time Guys
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Sony's Mac version only supports the PRS-505 and above. Even after the PRS-500 update, the software still did not support the PRS-500. They also did not support the 500 under 64 bit windows, and I don't know if they've rectified that (or Win7 support for that matter).

While I, too, am disappointed with this, I would pull short of ragging on Sony. It's an old Reader, and obviously uses a different technology for connecting to the computer, and supporting this old connection protocol may simply not be worth the time (consider how slow they are at general updates as it is!). But even so, they offer a free hardware ePub upgrade to PRS-500, which is pretty-much unheard of in the industry. If anything, they deserve kudos for their support of the PRS-500, for that one thing alone! (Yes, I realize you aren't eligible.)

And as has been pointed out several times now, you can use Calibre with the PRS-500. You don't need the Sony Reader Software at all. There are other older solutions that also allow you to copy files to your PRS-500 from the Mac. So the gap in Sony's lack of software support has been filled pretty readily by 3rd parties. And they arguably do a better job anyway!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
there's really no arguing about it, though.
In all ways, Calibre is superior to Sony Library. :P
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote