Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
interesting unreported story regarding the oil spill

I can't really go into how and why I have this information, ya'll just have to bear with me... (and really folks, I'm not big on big oil etc., I am however big on the truth)

BP wanted that platform MUCH closer to shore. the reason being, that they were concerned and DID communicate that having the platform at those depths would make containment of any breaks incredibly difficult if not impossible. due to much pressure of environmentalists, they were forced to go out to the depth they are.

something to think about when attaching the blame. not my point of view, just sharing a conversation I had with someone in the know
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Good point. I think it's always good to remember there are two sides to most stories...

Thanks for sharing...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for bringing another side to the story.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
But a side to the story that may be quietly brushed under the carpet ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
So then, this part of the story is saying that BP knew that containment would be difficult or impossible with this oil rig and went right ahead and built it anyway? They built it without developing additional new safeguards or procedures? I'm sorry but that's irresponsible.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think BP heads should roll. Chop 'em all off and shove 'em down the hole until it is plugged. Although the oil hasn't "officially" made landfall yet, it was all on the local news yesterday. Wads of oil about the size of marbles are all over the beach here, as far as Orange Beach, Alabama. Haven't heard if it is in Pensacola yet, but that is just a milk-run away from Orange Beach. The most beautiful beaches in the world are about to die.

I always knew it wasn't a matter of IF a disaster came from the oil field, but only a matter of WHEN.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
So then, this part of the story is saying that BP knew that containment would be difficult or impossible with this oil rig and went right ahead and built it anyway? They built it without developing additional new safeguards or procedures? I'm sorry but that's irresponsible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think BP heads should roll. Chop 'em all off and shove 'em down the hole until it is plugged. Although the oil hasn't "officially" made landfall yet, it was all on the local news yesterday. Wads of oil about the size of marbles are all over the beach here, as far as Orange Beach, Alabama. Haven't heard if it is in Pensacola yet, but that is just a milk-run away from Orange Beach. The most beautiful beaches in the world are about to die.

I always knew it wasn't a matter of IF a disaster came from the oil field, but only a matter of WHEN.
i agree, that BP knew the risks and carried on anyway without taking any precautions is just scandalous. i'm shocked, but sadly, not surprised.

i hope heads do roll at BP, and a lot more... but since they'll probably roll off under "golden umbrellas" and the like that's not really much consolation. tarring and feathering them in their own mess might be a bit more cathartic.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i agree, that BP knew the risks and carried on anyway without taking any precautions is just scandalous. i'm shocked, but sadly, not surprised.

i hope heads do roll at BP, and a lot more... but since they'll probably roll off under "golden umbrellas" and the like that's not really much consolation. tarring and feathering them in their own mess might be a bit more cathartic.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post

BP wanted that platform MUCH closer to shore. the reason being, that they were concerned and DID communicate that having the platform at those depths would make containment of any breaks incredibly difficult if not impossible. due to much pressure of environmentalists, they were forced to go out to the depth they are.
How much control do they have over it though. Aren't they limited quite a bit by the location of the strike? Or are they large enough usually that they cold have moved this to a more suitable location?
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
If what KK is saying is true, then neither side - BP or the environmentalists - come out of this looking good. BP for not developing extra precautions (assuming it would have been possible for them to do so), and the environmentalists for pushing for it to be in area they were told could cause this sort of problem. So if we're tarring and feathering, I want both lots tarred and feathered.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
How much control do they have over it though. Aren't they limited quite a bit by the location of the strike? Or are they large enough usually that they cold have moved this to a more suitable location?
From what I've always understood, the oil field is almost as big as the Arabian field. Sink a well anywhere and start pumping. The trouble is that it is deep water and in close proximity to fishing and shipping lanes. And capping a burning well in the desert is easy, while they had NO PLAN for what to do when a deep underwater well exploded.

This could go on for a long time if the oil gets into the food chain for crustaceans then fish then seabirds and humans. The price of fresh shrimp skyrocketed over the first weekend, but I haven't kept an eye on it. Tim and I are eating more shrimp these days, trying to get as much as we can before it is all gone.

And the cost of gasoline went up a dime, but seems to be holding steady for now. Down here, we get smacked every time something happens in the Gulf, such as Katrina. My nieces from Chicago area always talk about the cheap gas down here, as opposed to what gets shipped in via the Great Lakes. EXCEPT for after hurricanes, and now the oil.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Wouldn't Transocean have advised BP on their rig's ability to cope with the drilling conditions?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
that is exactly the reaction that the media tries to get worked up over. they tried to do right and the environmentalists pushed them further offshore.

Quote:

plenty of guilt to go around. the point is it needs to be shared. everyone is always ready to jump on big business, big oil, big whatever. being PC quite often creates poor decision making. this is a situation where everyone needs to be open minded enough to go o yeah! we see how the warm fuzzies kind of created a bad situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

what would you propose? permits were issued for that field. they wanted to drill in close where things were manageable. that is what they were permitted for. then they were pushed out. we need to be realistic here and understand that as much as we may not like it, oil drilling needs to continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
they tried to be in the more suitable location, they were pushed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
If what KK is saying is true, then neither side - BP or the environmentalists - come out of this looking good. BP for not developing extra precautions (assuming it would have been possible for them to do so), and the environmentalists for pushing for it to be in area they were told could cause this sort of problem. So if we're tarring and feathering, I want both lots tarred and feathered.
that's pretty much the point here. plenty of guilt. BP isn't the only bad guy

Quote:
From what I've always understood, the oil field is almost as big as the Arabian field. Sink a well anywhere and start pumping. The trouble is that it is deep water and in close proximity to fishing and shipping lanes. And capping a burning well in the desert is easy, while they had NO PLAN for what to do when a deep underwater well exploded.

This could go on for a long time if the oil gets into the food chain for crustaceans then fish then seabirds and humans. The price of fresh shrimp skyrocketed over the first weekend, but I haven't kept an eye on it. Tim and I are eating more shrimp these days, trying to get as much as we can before it is all gone.

And the cost of gasoline went up a dime, but seems to be holding steady for now. Down here, we get smacked every time something happens in the Gulf, such as Katrina. My nieces from Chicago area always talk about the cheap gas down here, as opposed to what gets shipped in via the Great Lakes. EXCEPT for after hurricanes, and now the oil.
once again... they wanted to be in close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Wouldn't Transocean have advised BP on their rig's ability to cope with the drilling conditions?
I have no knowledge of this
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Thanks Dixie and KK

I didn't know that the field was big enough that they could have moved closer. If that is true then shame on them for not adding in or devising additional safeguards and shame on the environmentalists for not listening.

If only everyone didn't have their own agenda and weren't so resistant to others, there might have been a compromise here that would have potentially been more threatening to the environment but also much more manageable in the event of an accident. We might have had twice as much oil on shore by now but the could also have been capped by now.

People are so stupid sometimes.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
GeoffC

the over-riding agenda seems to have been "we want oil" ..... why else was there a ('since postponed') drive towards an increase in oil exploration in the ocean.