Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Oil!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread but here it goes. I was wondering if anyone knows the copyright status of Upton Sinclair's Oil? I just recently saw the movie There Will Be Blood (a great film in my opinion) and wanted to read the book (the movie is based on the book Oil!). I can't find it anyway for free :-) I know Amazon has it for 9.99 but I thought for sure it would be out of copyright now seeing how The Jungle is available from many sites (including this one).

Anyone have any ideas on what the status of Oil is?

Thanks in advance!
Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Oil was published in 1927 and is most likely still in copyright in the US. Upton Sinclair died in 1968 so he is still in copyright in the rest of the world.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Oil! was initially copyrighted in 1927, giving it an "author's life +95 years" copyright term. If the U.S. Congress follows recent history, this book will never enter public domain.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
According to Wikipedia, it was published in 1927, so it might still be in copyright. I cannot find a record for it on www.copyright.gov. It was recently rereleased, at the same time as the movie. This gives us a paper copy to check for a copyright notice.

P.S. But that is US law. The work of Upton Sinclair cannot be posted to this forum because the forum is hosted in Canada. Mr.Sinclair died in 1968, which is less than 50 years ago. Whatever we have will have to be removed (at least temporarily).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
gregr209
Enthusiast

You all are AWESOME! Thanks for the information! I knew I could get an answer here! This is the place to be :-)

Thanks again!

Greg

P.S. How come his work The Jungle is out and about for free? I think I even saw it on the Gutenberg site.
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Project Gutenberg is based in the USA. Since The Jungle was published before 1923, it is out of copyright in the USA.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
gregr209
Enthusiast

D'oh! Why couldn't he have written Oil before The Jungle :-)

Thanks Nate!

Greg
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I found Oil! on Fictionwise. From the price, I think it's still in copyright.

http://fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook54766.htm