Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quick questions DX gen 1 vs. DX gen 2 vs. DXG

OK, I have a small window (I am traveling but have a chance at a local DX gen 1 at a reasonable price. I am only buying as a short term, maybe 6-8 month max device. However, I want to be sure I am remembering correctly that MOST, not all but just most, of the differences are not all that significant for a US based user like myself.

Before getting into it, I KNOW the DXG has a Pearl screen and, yeah it's great but as a fast cheaper option I think I might be fine with the original Vizplex.

As I remember the only difference between the DX gen 1 and the DX gen 2 was the addition of international 3G, yes?

Then once updated to what amounts to the DX 2.5 firmware other than the 3G there aren't any differences between the two original DX builds? That is my main question?

If there are any differences in font rendering can those be mostly addressed with a font hack to a heavier weight font? I do remember some people being quite unhappy with the font rending on the original DX release but it was improved in subsequent firmware updates? Or am I smoking too good of stuff these days?

OK, best for me to keep this simple and hope people are up and posting so I can decide today which way to jump. I would much rather pay less for such a short term need than buy new for a lot more money. We are talking about $125 less than the new DX 2nd Gen.

thanks!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
The original DX US wireless runs on Sprint. The DX International and the DX Graphite are on AT&T. 2.57 is the current firmware revision number for all three DX versions and the firmware features are identical (hardware features differ as previously mentioned with the added difference of DXG's enhanced battery life).

You remember correctly that a firmware update improved the font contrast. It made a noticeable difference on my Kindle 2s (US and International), which share a firmware revision cycle with the DX. The font hacks offer even more contrast and font choice, but it comes at the cost of additional ghosting and extra battery drain (based solely on personal experience).

If you're happy with your Kindle 2's display and features, but need/want a larger screen, and US Sprint coverage is acceptable, then a DX-US should work perfectly well for you.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

hey trekchick:

thatnks for the details. Nice to know everything hasn't shriveled up and died between my ears, well not yet anyway. I was all set to grab the original gen 1 DX when I remembered there was an Audible $100 credit for an Audible compatible device or accessory. Unfortunately they sis not list any Kindles right now, so I grabbed an iPod Touch 32gb gen 4 and sold it at a nice profit to cover the cost of a DXG so I'll get to play around with a Pearl screen for a while. And now I don't feel guilty since I spent a new $160ish for the Touch and sold it for $400 inside of 30-mins. So my DXG cost me just $160 net. I had been pondering an Audible subscription for a couple years now. Looks like I killed two birds with one stone and we all know how that ends up, with two stoned birds. OK, sorry I have a closet secret, I PUN. Does that make me a bad person?

I'll have it Monday in the mean time I am squandering the family fortune on books the rest of the weekend. A shame the printed versions of most of the books I am replacing aren't worth more than a couple buncks each though some are considerably more, but those will likely never be out as ebooks so time to hunt up that neat looking scanner from CES.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Uh-oh, now you've done it. Once you treat your eyes to the Pearl screen on the DXG, you're going to want to upgrade your K2.

Creative move on flipping the iPod Touch.

On a serious note, you shouldn't stone wild birds. They're not pets, and if you get them hooked on handouts, then they'll forget how to fly high on their own. ;-)
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
Uh-oh, now you've done it. Once you treat your eyes to the Pearl screen on the DXG, you're going to want to upgrade your K2.

Creative move on flipping the iPod Touch.

On a serious note, you shouldn't stone wild birds. They're not pets, and if you get them hooked on handouts, then they'll forget how to fly high on their own. ;-)
as long as they remember to pass to the left all is good. And yeah, that pearl screen is really nice. I think it's especially impressive on the larger screen of the DX rather than a K3. I do have a tiny out on the K2i, I hacked the font to a nice heavier font so it still looks nice even compared to the DXG. I would say that I don't think I would want a much whiter screen than the Pearl because I like to read out in the sunshine fairly often. Any whiter and it might reflect too much light which would actually make my older K2i easy to use. The sun is the ultimate backlight...and it wins over LED or CFL bulbs.
Advert