Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Greggywocky
Greggywocky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can no longer send emails (since 7.28?)

Hi

Since the last two updates I have had problems emailing to my Kindle. It will download my paper, but then fails at the delivery stage. Then, sometimes it will work if I try to email manually, and sometimes it won't. Also, the test email sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have tried restting my settings, etc, and my internet connection is fine. Is anyone else encountering this error? I get the following feedback:

The Guardian / The Observer [Sat, 20 Nov 2010]

please run connect() first
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 645, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 108, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 730, in quit
File "smtplib.py", line 362, in docmd
File "smtplib.py", line 318, in putcmd
File "smtplib.py", line 310, in send
SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
iDavey
iDavey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi Greggywocky,

I'm having exactly the same problem. I updated to 0.7.29 but it still happens. I first noticed it when (automatically) emailing the Bangkok Post feed to my kindle.

I've then been using the option

connect/share -> Email to <free kindle email address> and delete from library

which usually works after 3 or 4 tries.

Today, the Bangkok Post worked automatically, but the Guardian/Observer failed. Today I cannot send the Guardian manually either: I just keep on getting the error message that you posted.

iD
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Greggywocky

I'm going to re-install 7.27 and see if it works then.

It didn't.

Last edited by Greggywocky; 11-20-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Dave Wadsley
Dave Wadsley began at the beginning.

You might like to see this thread...others are having similar problems.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105784

The latest Calibre update (7.29) includes a very helpful Hotmail shortcut alongside the Gmail one ...under "Preferences, Sharing Books by Email".

Haven't used this yet. I continued to have difficulties this morning, and reverted to my Gmail address without success. It may have been due to the size of this morning's Guardian paper (7.4MB) as the Independent and NY Review of Books seemed fine.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wadsley View Post
You might like to see this thread...others are having similar problems.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105784
No one in that thread is reporting the same problem the OP of this thread is reporting. It would be nice to know the particulars of his setup. I was waiting to hear from some one with more experience but this reported error is drastically different from any I've seen reported thus far.
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Herchu
Herchu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've also got a slightly similar error with Guardian:

Code:
Python function terminated unexpectedly: Connection unexpectedly closed
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
    return run_entry_point()
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
    return getattr(pmod, func)()
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 220, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 100, in sendmail
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 712, in sendmail
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 438, in rset
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 363, in docmd
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
I'm using GMail and sending files to the Kindle through Calibre command line mail program.

What I did find out is that if you close any other email program then it won't fail. I hadn't made a thorough research but it kind of make sense. The chances that an email program hit at the same time that Calibre are proportional to the file size. If you want to try this, then make sure that you close any other email program including those that checks your inbox.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
blahlibrary
blahlibrary began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm getting the same, also only with larger publications:

The Wall Street Journal

please run connect() first
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 645, in _send_mails
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 108, in sendmail
File "lib/python2.7/smtplib.py", line 733, in quit
File "lib/python2.7/smtplib.py", line 365, in docmd
File "lib/python2.7/smtplib.py", line 318, in putcmd
File "lib/python2.7/smtplib.py", line 310, in send
SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first

Emails are sent successfully through gmail with my other newspapers.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's the same error, the traceback is different because of a small change in smtp code in 0.7.29
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Greggywocky

I guess it must be to do with the attachment then. The test email works, but it tends to fail when an attachment is added.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as far as I can tell gmail has added some kind of spam filtering that decides that if you are sending lots of mails with attachments you must be a spammer.

You should complain to google about it.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Herchu
Herchu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
as far as I can tell gmail has added some kind of spam filtering that decides that if you are sending lots of mails with attachments you must be a spammer.

You should complain to google about it.
Humm.... I don't know if it's this case. Sending the same message (a 7MB Guardian edition) from the same GMail account sometimes fails, sometimes not. AFAIKT having a SMTP/POP email program (Apple's Mail.app) running at same time the chance for failing increases to the point of being able to reproduce it. A smaller file (for instance, a 2MB El Pais edition) fails a lot less.

I'll test it again tomorrow with attachments of various sizes and with a destination different of @kindle so I can check whether the mail is sent or not.

BTW, don't know if it's relevant or not, but I also found that the message does show in the Sent mailbox.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Again, since the email code hasn't changed in calibre in a *long* time, this is not a calibre problem.

And please follow up in the older email issues thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105784
Closed Thread