Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #2686
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissfoot View Post
I've attached the log from the test package

I'm 100% sure it was 5.8.10. I got it out of the box and let it update to the latest version before I knew anything about jailbraking.

It's updated back up to 5.8.10 now and jailbrake is definitely in tact.

If it makes any difference I had to press the update button twice. The first time the dialog went away instantly but on the second press it started to update though I might have just been impatient the first time.

Got the update from http://www.mediafire.com/file/bzmn67....0_initial.bin
Interesting.
It is most certainly jailbroken now.

That isn't a link listed here.
That is somebody else's posting.
Did you test the md5 checksum of the package?
Was it the same as ours or different?

When you pressed the update button, did you have the USB cable still connected?
First time?
Second time?
Did you do anything else to get it work?
Maybe something you didn't even notice when you where doing it.

This may be the second report, the first person was not certain after the fact if the device had been running 5.8.1 or 5.8.10

Did you happen to make a note of the firmware build number of the build you jail broke?

- - - -

As posted elsewhere here, I see that the source packages for 5.8.11 are listed but not yet up and the binaries are not (yet) posted.

So the 5.8.10 binary you jail broke may have been a new (broken) build of 5.8.10
OR
Perhaps there has been a change in Amazon corporate policy towards after-market add-ins.

Last edited by knc1; 10-11-2017 at 10:24 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #2687
chrissfoot
chrissfoot began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Interesting.
It is most certainly jailbroken now.

That isn't a link listed here.
That is somebody else's posting.
Did you test the md5 checksum of the package?
Was it the same as ours or different?
The links here (at least in the first post) are as you know, private, so I did some googling. The MD5 does match yours though

Quote:
When you pressed the update button, did you have the USB cable still connected?
Nope, definitely not connected

Quote:
First time?
Second time?
Did you do anything else to get it work?
Maybe something you didn't even notice when you where doing it.
I did a factory reset, got as far as the wifi screen, copied the file to the device, unplugged, skipped the rest of the setup and went to update, the dialog disappeared quickly so I pressed it again and it did the update. The kindle was registered (before the reset) but I have not paid for ad removal.

Quote:
This may be the second report, the first person was not certain after the fact if the device had been running 5.8.1 or 5.8.10

Did you happen to make a note of the firmware build number of the build you jail broke?
I'm afraid I did not but I only updated it yesterday so it probably got the same build again today now that it's updated which is 3202100019

I actually have another kindle bought at the same time which I may be setting up later but it's for my boss and he hasn't decided if he wants to keep or return it yet!
chrissfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #2688
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the info.
I can't think of anything else to ask, you seem to have covered it all.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #2689
chrissfoot
chrissfoot began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Thanks for all the info.
I can't think of anything else to ask, you seem to have covered it all.
I'm very new to kindle (my first one) but not new to jail breaking stuff in general. My goal for the kindle is to get the browser working in full screen mode, wish me luck!
chrissfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #2690
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm very new to kindle (my first one) but not new to jail breaking stuff in general. My goal for the kindle is to get the browser working in full screen mode, wish me luck!
I am pretty sure our build of Skipstone will do that (along with tabs ...)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #2691
Addie_Brown
Addie_Brown began at the beginning.

Device: TK3
I thought I'd be the first one to report it but alas, wasn't entirely sure yesterday. Anyway, +1 to successful jailbreaks on 5.8.10 (KT3, G000K9). And yes, I'm sure cause when I got the kindle a month ago, I was super disappointed to learn that it meant no more covers screen saver for me.
On a whim I decided to try it anyway. I actually did both, setup wifi and register the device after factory reset, before going into the airplane mode. Got the downgrade thing from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/w7zz4o....0_initial.bin (apologies, I'm not that computer savvy to know how to check the sums). For a while it appeared stuck on that kid-under-the-tree picture (yep, I did panic some ^^) but from there it went on without a hitch.

So... big thank you for getting me my covers back!
Addie_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #2692
knc1
Going Viral

Well that does seem to confirm it.

There be unmentioned exceptions:
PW3 - 5.8.9.0.1 (a fallout of the Japanese model support)
KT3 - 5.8.10 (no known reason - other than this and the new Oasis both have Bluetooth - it is hard to keep change sets across different hardware models).

The way the new Oasis feature descriptions read - it will be shipping with 5.8.10 (most likely this broken build) and then later OTA update to 5.8.11
(Keep in mind, the factory has to work months in advance to build enough units for a new model.)

We can hope for a broken 5.8.11
Since the voice packs can not be installed on 5.8.8, 5.8.9, or 5.8.10 unless the protection from the factory initial images is dropped.
When Amazon blocked the package type used for the factory initial images, they also blocked their own voice packs (which use the same package type).

Last edited by knc1; 10-11-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #2693
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Ok, testing out 5.8.10 on my PW3.

No luck. It could be the KT3 as a difference
  1. Updated from 5.8.7 to 5.8.10
  2. Put update_voice_kindle_all_new_paperwhite.bin on usb
  3. Got the expected grayed out button
  4. Did a reset
  5. Waited until I was on language screen.
  6. Hit English, and waited.
  7. Got to the "Get Started" screen
  8. Plugged in USB
  9. Put factory file on the usb drive
  10. Ejected
  11. pressed "get started"
  12. pressed "connect to wifi"
  13. pressed the [x] to cancel wifi
  14. pressed "complete kindle setup later"
  15. pressed "yes" to confirm I wanted to complete registration later.
  16. pressed the [...] menu item
  17. pressed settings
  18. pressed the [...] menu item
  19. The update option was greyed out - womp womp

As an aside, the hotfix or the jailbreak remained. After doing the reset twice, I was still able to re-install my hotfix packege, which is signed with our jailbreak key.
Reminder - only tested on PW3 ( GO90 ), YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc.

Last edited by coplate; 10-11-2017 at 09:54 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #2694
knc1
Going Viral

My current best guess is that when they selected the change-set to support Bluetooth, they unintentional dropped the package type blocking change-set.

So KT3 (and KOA2) only for 5.8.10

It will be interesting to learn what happens to 5.8.11
There have been times in the past when it seemed like the Keystone Cops are running Lab126.

Don't let your new KOA2 be caught by an unintended OTA update until you are sure you are ready for it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #2695
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My current best guess is that when they selected the change-set to support Bluetooth, they unintentional dropped the package type blocking change-set.

So KT3 (and KOA2) only for 5.8.10

It will be interesting to learn what happens to 5.8.11
There have been times in the past when it seemed like the Keystone Cops are running Lab126.

Don't let your new KOA2 be caught by an unintended OTA update until you are sure you are ready for it.

This definitely sounds reasonable - who else has a KT3 who wants to test it, and possibly lose your jailbreak ?

Last edited by coplate; 10-11-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #2696
notech
notech began at the beginning.

Device: kpw3
kpw3 5.8.10 not work
notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #2697
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Kindle 5.8.11 is coming up!

The new Kindle 5.8.11 update is official - the new things are the new font options. Update images are going to be up this week.

I'm first going to try the method to "jailbreak" (if I'm lucky) my 5.8.10, on the KT2 (probably not going to work) and then see if anything better happens on 5.8.11

Edit: 5.8.10 downgrade doesn't work on KT2 either. Maybe it's really just for the Bluetooth-enabled Kindles.

Last edited by nicolasmart; 10-12-2017 at 04:39 AM.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM   #2698
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
I'm afraid I did not but I only updated it yesterday so it probably got the same build again today now that it's updated which is 3202100019
I believe it's a "special" image, just like the 5.8.9.2, because on my KT2 and PW2 the build number is 3202090019.

Let's see if that downgrade ability holds up to the upcoming 5.8.11 update. It's official - the new change is just some more font options. But the update images will appear these days.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #2699
coplate
Guru

Well, on a different note, I just lost my jailbreak on my PW3.
Edit: I thought I lost my jailbreak but I was dome

I was not registered.

I installed 5.8.11
I registered
I tried to re-install the hotfix with file update_1_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin' no luck, invalid package type.
I rebooted to see if the hotfix was still around - no luck, still no jailbreak.

I swear I had done this in some order in the past. But I must have messed it up.

Reminder for everyone, there has been some luck for people changing registration state, but I don't know if I did it wrong, or in the wrong order, or 5.8.11 took this option back out.

I will have to re-serial jailbreak

Lesson: pay attention!

Last edited by coplate; 10-12-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #2700
knc1
Going Viral

Put desired update file on top level of user storage.
Boot the alternate (Diags) OS.
Use the menu to re-install the system image from USB storage.
Done.

You don't have to pass the image file across the serial port line (but you could, if you really wanted to, y-modem has been fixed in u-boot).

= = = = =

Note:
Others have reported that the bridge code is working for the update to 5.8.11
You should not have had to re-install the hotfix package because of the update.

You might have to re-install the hotfix any time you change the registration state.
But that is very rare, normally the most you have to do is reboot after any change.
I.E: the application keys are also viral and bridged by the bridge code.

But the code is all written to presume that people don't change the registration state other than when they first start using the device and when they last stop using the device.
There is no reason to change the registration state at any other time.

Last edited by knc1; 10-12-2017 at 09:34 PM.