Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #16
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
So? no big deal, still miles better then the others out there. Your not going to get it perfect, and it's hardly distracting at all. Your always going to get some shadow, or uneven lighting, your not going to get away with any at all, not yet anyway.

It looks pretty good to me, after seeing the others, Kindle does a far better job. The others do a poor job compared to Kindle, to bright and you start getting eye strain, So kindle have a good balance, not to bright, but bright enough to not cause eye strain and gives good contrast, and nice and white, so are ahead of the pack.
I agree. I had the kobo glo but had to return it. The screen wasn't very responsive, the battery was poor and the light was too bright on the lowest setting and gave off a blue tinge during the daytime. I've now got the kindle paper white, which whilst not perfect is much better.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would agree with the recommendation for the PW. The small shadow cones at the bottom of the screen caused by the LED lighting are not noticeable at all in the "real world".

So true. It does not bother me. I also have the Kindle Keyboard, with light built on the cover, which you pull up to get it working, and the PW is miles better. Its got the right amount of lighting to not cause any eye strain, and is very pleasant lighting indeed.
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I would advise AGAINST the paperwhite as the original poster can not get if locally, and hence not easily return it to Amazon. Of course, if you trust your family in the US to get one and put it "through the paces" of testing and analyzing whether it is a good one, it might work, if you trust them to be able to do that (don't know the technical skill level of your family).

I also got one from the US (before it became available in Germany) through a friend and had to return it because the screen was not as sharp as the screen of my Kindle Keyboard.

Getting a cover for the Kindle NT seems a good idea - especially as the screens on these devices break very easily (found that out "the hard way" 3 weeks after getting my Kindle Keyboard).

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Ebokr
Ebokr began at the beginning.

Device: None
Exclamation

Kobo Glo. Avoid the Kindle Paperwhite, terrible screen issues.
Ebokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The iPad mini should suffice for reading if the main concern is holding it close while doing so. I'll inquire as to why before I comment with options so you don't have to.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
The iPad mini should suffice for reading if the main concern is holding it close while doing so. I'll inquire as to why before I comment with options so you don't have to.
ob.

I disagree. I have an ipad 2, and can read from it with the kindle app, but I can tell you, reading from any ipad,ipod, tablet is no where as nice as an ebook reader.

An ebook reader is just far better on the eye and looks almost as natural as reading from a book.

I never use my ipad for reading, I hate it for that purpose. A ebook reader does a far better job.
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I use both the Kindle Keyboard, the Kindle Fire and the iPad (1) for reading.

The Kindle keyboard (and any other eInk reader) rocks when you have good light (or at least a lamp), the Kindle Fire and the iPad are very helpful if I want to read at night without keeping my wife awake.

The advantage of the iPad is the screen size (and the availability of 2-column-text), while the advantage of the Kindles is the portability.

Looking at the reasons cited by the original poster, I would suggest to look at the Kindle Keyboard with a good (preferably lighted) cover.

I do not own the "basic" Kindle, but the Paperwhite I received struck me as very similar to the ones I have some colleagues seen use, as far as screen size/weight/feel was concerned.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
The Kindle keyboard (and any other eInk reader) rocks when you have good light (or at least a lamp), the Kindle Fire and the iPad are very helpful if I want to read at night without keeping my wife awake.
The new range of front-lit eInk devices (Nook Glowlight, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, etc) give you the benefits of lighting and retain the "easy on the eye" readability of eInk, and a good battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote