Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #31
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Sameer, could you tell us the resolution of the Mini screen?

Some sources state that it is 600x800, which would put it in the same range of enhanced resolution (DPI) as the Glo - around 210 DPI.

P.S. - One thing I find impressive, and not to be found in the B&N or Kindle forums, is that the Kobo folks actually follow the forums and listen to customers. Now if I could only figure out how to pre-order a Mini, I'd be on it in a minute...
That's exactly correct. It is still 600x800, so as a nice side effect you get a high DPI on the smaller screen making text look crisper. This in combination with TypeGenius make the Mini a serious reading machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon View Post
Thank you Sameer for all the information.

I would like to find out if the IR touch technology from neonode supports multi-touch? Features such as pinch to zoom will be great for viewing pdf.
Unfortunately we do not support multi-touch on these devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Quite often I have a picture/diagram in an epub/kepub book I'd like to zoom in on but can't. Would be a nice feature so long as it isn't triggered accidentally.
This is something we can do and is on our roadmap.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #32
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
This is something we can do and is on our roadmap.
As a firmware update for the Glo, or for a future model?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #33
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
As a firmware update for the Glo, or for a future model?
Firmware update which would apply to Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #34
Shankill
Nameless Being

Hey, Sameer, while you're around, would you be able to clarify if this means that the screen still has the usual glass substrate? My reading comprehension skills may have taken a hit on my way to this thread.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #35
hopdi
hopdi began at the beginning.

Device: glo or paperwhite
SameerH,

Has the glo infrared or capacitive touch screen?

Are there any new page turn options in the works, beacause i didn't like the option on my touch, because i had to reach to far with my thumb. There has to be a finer 1 hand tab option?
hopdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #36
hopdi
hopdi began at the beginning.

Device: glo or paperwhite
double, sorry!
hopdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #37
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
Hey, Sameer, while you're around, would you be able to clarify if this means that the screen still has the usual glass substrate? My reading comprehension skills may have taken a hit on my way to this thread.
I'll double check this for you, but I'm 80% certain that this is the case since it is not the flexible display. The 'no glass, no glare' in the marketing material refers to the lack of a capacitive touch-screen layer which some manufacturers have used, and can sometimes come with a reflective finish which can be quite annoying to read on. We use IR touch which does not require any glass on top of the display.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #38
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The 'no glass, no glare' in the marketing material refers to the lack of a capacitive touch-screen layer which some manufacturers have used,
This may be considered a deceptive statement ('no glass, no glare'), because it makes it sound like there is no glass used in the manufacturing at all.

I would have assumed that a statement of 'no glass' means exactly that, and not have a meaning of 'no glass above the screen'.

I can see a scenario where someone breaks the glass substrate and gets their state's consumer protection people behind them for a replacement due to Kobo's deceptive statements on this feature.

How did your legal department ever approve this statement?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
SameerH

Does the glo have built in dictionaries? If it does how do you access them?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #40
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
SameerH

Does the glo have built in dictionaries? If it does how do you access them?
Firmware looks to be essentially the same as the touch, do just hold your finger on a word and the definition comes up.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
PinkET
Enthusiast
PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wink Specs

Hi Sameer or other Kobo associate,

I have some questions about the Kobo Glo specs.

Dictionaries
1. Different language dictionaries possible?
2. How many languages and or which?
3. Can custom dictionaries be downloaded and installed?
4. Can words be added to a dictionary?

System Menu Languages
1. Can the Kobo Glo menu's be set to another language?
2. If yes, which languages are available?

Thanks,

Mike
PinkET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
PinkET
Enthusiast
PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.PinkET can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Battery life? Which claim is true :-)

I post this separately because I think it is either a major selling point or a major deal-breaker and many people would like to know the answer to this.

Kobo claims:
"More than a month whithout using WiFi and light."
"More than 55 hours continuous use with light on."

These two statements are in direct conflict with each other unless Kobo used different reading time standards for day and night.
Even with the note that it depends on personal usage it is still a contradiction in terms.

If we look at the first claim. (>1 month with light off)
If we take the commonly used standard of 30 minutes a day and multiply that by 30 days would give us 15 hours, which is average for an e-reader.
So this claim has a high probability of being true.

If we look at the second claim (>55 hours with light on), then 55 hours divided by 30 minutes = 110 days = 3.7 months.

That would put the Kobo Glo miles ahead of any competition.
This claim therefor has a high probability of being false.
If it is true, then the first claim has to be false because laws of physics dictate that "light on" drains battery faster than "light off".

Please Kobo, can someone explain?

Greetings,

Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
They might both be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkET View Post
If we take the commonly used standard of 30 minutes
Maybe they didn't use that standard.
After all, I don't know who came up with that (amazon?), but 30 minutes a day is hardly the time a dedicated reader usually reads. It's likely more about the casual before-bed/commuting-to-work reader (and they did say somewhere that they built the kobo for the book lover if I'm not mistaken)

Both claims might still be true if we take, say, 2 hours of daily usage for 40 days without light and wifi. It'd still last more than 55 hours and more than a month.

Last edited by sombreastre; 09-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #44
PinkET
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Maybe they didn't use that standard.
After all, I don't know who came up with that (amazon?), but 30 minutes a day is hardly the time a dedicated reader usually reads. It's likely more about the casual before-bed/commuting-to-work reader (and they did say somewhere that they built the kobo for the book lover if I'm not mistaken)
Who came up with the 30 mins is irrelevant. Every manufacturer uses it.
The point is that if Kobo uses different standards they should make it clear in their product statements.

Using the 55 hours and 60 hours based on 30 mins per day, the Kobo would last for 3.7 to 4 months on one charge. A really, really great selling point wouldn't you think?
Telling people it only lasts 1 month and forget to mention that is based on 2 hours per day, would be an utterly senseless move!

Quote:
Both claims might still be true if we take, say, 2 hours of daily usage for 40 days without light and wifi. It'd still last more than 55 hours and more than a month.
That would indeed make the claim of 55 hours with light on credible, but it would still make the first claim a senseless one, marketing wise.

So Lets not discuss further about this, but wait and see what Kobo's explanation is.

Greetings,

Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #45
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkET View Post
Who came up with the 30 mins is irrelevant. Every manufacturer uses it.
The point is that if Kobo uses different standards they should make it clear in their product statements.

Using the 55 hours and 60 hours based on 30 mins per day, the Kobo would last for 3.7 to 4 months on one charge. A really, really great selling point wouldn't you think?
Telling people it only lasts 1 month and forget to mention that is based on 2 hours per day, would be an utterly senseless move!
So Lets not discuss further about this, but wait and see what Kobo's explanation is.

Greetings,

Mike
I sure agree with you mike, on all points. Let's hope the kobo team clears this up soon.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote