Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Recommend some Thriller/Adventure authors please

I have just finished reading Atlantis by David Gibbins and enjoyed it so I can add him to my favorites list along with James Rollins, Matthew Reilly and Clive Cussler.
I have Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child on my list to check out. Are there any other authors in a similar vein that are recommended ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I have just finished reading Atlantis by David Gibbins and enjoyed it so I can add him to my favorites list along with James Rollins, Matthew Reilly and Clive Cussler.
I have Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child on my list to check out. Are there any other authors in a similar vein that are recommended ?
Here is a fun site that allows you to put in an authors name and "map" authors who write in a similiar fashion.
http://www.literature-map.com/

Authors I like who do nice thrillers are Phillip Margolin, Jeffery Deavers and James Grippando

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 01-26-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Check out James Patterson.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My wife enjoys Vince Flynn and I like David Badacci's Camel Club series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried H. Rider Haggard? His adventure stories, although written over a century ago, are on a par with any modern "thriller" writer, IMHO. All can be downloaded from this site.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you tried H. Rider Haggard? His adventure stories, although written over a century ago, are on a par with any modern "thriller" writer, IMHO. All can be downloaded from this site.
I must admit that the only thing I know about H Rider Haggard is King Solomons Mine which I must have seen every version of the movie from the pretty good old Black and White version through the passable 80's version to the rather awful recent Hallmark version but haven't read any of his other works so I'll add that to my list. Thanks
BTW , The literature-map site is quite good.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I must admit that the only thing I know about H Rider Haggard is King Solomons Mine which I must have seen every version of the movie from the pretty good old Black and White version through the passable 80's version to the rather awful recent Hallmark version but haven't read any of his other works so I'll add that to my list. Thanks
BTW , The literature-map site is quite good.
Read the book of "King Solomon's Mines" (Volume 1 of my "Haggard Anthology"); it's one of the best adventure stories ever written, IMHO, and fat better than the film versions. The other one which everyone's heard of is "She" (in Vol 2 of the anthology).
Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Check out James Patterson.
He does not write his books.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if Stefano Di Marino has ever been translated in english, but he's far better than some of the "big names" in the industry...
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Format C:
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Here is a fun site that allows you to put in an authors name and "map" authors who write in a similiar fashion.
http://www.literature-map.com/

Authors I like who do nice thrillers are Phillip Margolin, Jeffery Deavers and James Grippando

cheers
I looked for Jeffery Deaver and I found Oriana Fallaci (a conservative journalist).
Looking for Greg Iles, I fount James Patterson close to him, but when I searched Patterson, Iles was far away from...

Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
He does not write his books.
I beg your pardon?

Many of his books have certainly been co-written with other authors, but, equally certainly, he has written many independently. His extremely popular "Alex Cross" crime series, for example, has been entirely written by him.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you want some reading that's also corny - but very, very much fun to read - then I would look at Harry's Edgar Wallace books that were originally published during the 1920s and 30s.

These are rip-snorting adventures of intrigue - highly improbably (Hey! So is James Bond ), and just plain fun to read.

...but, please remember, the writing is somewhat clunky and dated.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg your pardon?

Many of his books have certainly been co-written with other authors, but, equally certainly, he has written many independently. His extremely popular "Alex Cross" crime series, for example, has been entirely written by him.
His latest books have been ghost-written and it shows.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I see you have a Sony- Just in case you didn't notice, Sony is releasing weekly chapters of Lincoln Child's new book, Terminal Freeze. Here's the link:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/terminal-...view_1-27_Rt_2
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have read almost every single book by Douglas Preston and Lincon Child and I enjoyed them all. The best ones, in my opinion, are the Pedegrast Series (Relic, Reliquary, Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life With Crows, Brimstone, Dance of Death,The Book of the Dead and The Wheel of Darkness.)

One thing though, there is a certain order that the books should be read... It makes them flow and you see the characters introduced and evolve through the books.

Last edited by rcuadro; 01-27-2009 at 12:10 PM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote