Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1,T2,T3->Kobo Forma&Likebook Ares
List of highlights/annotations

Hi there,

After almost a decade with Sony readers, I finally took the hint when the page forward button on my battered T3 stopped working and got myself a Kobo Forma. Quite a nice device I have to say, so there has been some progress after all:-) But I do miss the SD slot...

Now to my question: On the Sony readers, I used to highlight interesting passages in the books I read and could conveniently access them in one list for all books, and could even jump to the original book from there. Very nice, some kind of index to interesting parts in all my books.

Now I was wondering if any of the current readers offer a similar functionality? I could not find one on the Kobo default interface, but maybe there is a plugin? Or does this exist in any of the installable readers, like KOReader or Plato?

Any help appreciated,

Chris
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
When you press on the search bar to search for a book in the home page, there will be a box on the right of the bar that says Kobo Store. Click on it, then press Annotations.

It will then allow you to search for any annotations that you have made. You can also jump to that part of the book from there. However, it does not allow you to see all your annotations in one place, unfortunately.

Because I annotate a lot by writing down the meaning of all the words I come across and do not understand, I write the word 'meaning' in front of all my annotations so all I have to do is search meaning in annotations and I will see all my annotations in one place. In your case, you can add a note to the highlight and in the note write 'highlight'. When you search highlight in annotations, you can then see all the highlights.

I know it's pretty inconvenient, but I just have to live with it, and once I write the word meaning in front of every note you don't need to change anything. Hope this helps!

Last edited by HolyAura; 01-18-2020 at 02:28 AM.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2020, 03:25 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As well as the search, if you bring up the menu for a book in the library or the home screen, any books with annotations will have an "Annotation" menu item. That will show the annotations list for the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Dear HolyAura,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Because I annotate a lot by writing down the meaning of all the words I come across and do not understand, I write the word 'meaning' in front of all my annotations so all I have to do is search meaning in annotations and I will see all my annotations in one place. In your case, you can add a note to the highlight and in the note write 'highlight'. When you search highlight in annotations, you can then see all the highlights.
Thanks for this tip, it seems awfully inconvenient, but for the time being I guess I have to live with this. Quite amazing how the hardware evolves, but the software seems to go in circles, with essential features being removed for some bloat that can be marketed easily,

All the best,
Chris
Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
ctop
Connoisseur

Just wanted to add that, thanks to HolyAura's suggestion, I found a workaround for my problem. In fact it is possible to search just for a single letter, like "a", which conceivably will be present in all highlights. This gives me more or less the list I want.

Chris
Advert