Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
Cool where is original screensaver image path

for some reason, I need save kindle RAM as many as possible, I want to find original screensaver image folder, and delete them, anyone can give me a hint,where is them, is that possible to simply delete those images?
thanks!

PS : I also do not like the screensaver which come from amazon, really want to delete them!!!
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
for some reason, I need save kindle RAM as many as possible, I want to find original screensaver image folder, and delete them, anyone can give me a hint,where is them, is that possible to simply delete those images?
thanks!

PS : I also do not like the screensaver which come from amazon, really want to delete them!!!
How would deleting anything on the filesystem "save kindle ram"?
The screen images used are small, so just delete one book and you are way ahead in your savings plan.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
confused

Did you mean free storage space? Deleting files from the root directory is useless, the user partition (visible drive) is at a fixed size. However, if you must know, the directory is in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/
However, deleting it has no effect, except from you having no screensavers
Also, if you want to change the screensavers, I do not recommend directly putting pictures there, but using the screensaver hack (linkss), which symlinks the images so that overflowing the root directory will not result in a bricked kindle

Edit:
If you actually meant ram, you are probably running a large ram-eating program.
If you want to know, you can stop the screensaver using helper+ in kual.
Executing "stop lab126_gui" in a shell will halt the user interface, freeing ram.
Also, you can create a swap file described here to gain more ram from the flash drive

Last edited by theol0403; 05-14-2017 at 01:08 AM.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How would deleting anything on the filesystem "save kindle ram"?
The screen images used are small, so just delete one book and you are way ahead in your savings plan.
maybe I did not explain clear of my problem
I run a program on kindle , the main task of the program is serialization a binary dict,
when idx of dict > 210000, it crash, if 180000>idx>210000,it works, but can not call other functions after serialization , (got an error message: memory address is out of range) that is why I want to as much as possible to save memory(not storage space), to test what is highest index of dict can be run on kindle , anyway, that is a strange requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by theol0403 View Post
Did you mean free storage space? Deleting files from the root directory is useless, the user partition (visible drive) is at a fixed size. However, if you must know, the directory is in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/
However, deleting it has no effect, except from you having no screensavers
Also, if you want to change the screensavers, I do not recommend directly putting pictures there, but using the screensaver hack (linkss), which symlinks the images so that overflowing the root directory will not result in a bricked kindle

Edit:
If you actually meant ram, you are probably running a large ram-eating program.
If you want to know, you can stop the screensaver using helper+ in kual.
Executing "stop lab126_gui" in a shell will halt the user interface, freeing ram.
Also, you can create a swap file described here to gain more ram from the flash drive

thanks, theol0403, found screensaver path as you mentioned:/usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, each image size is around 400k
if I was can delete them It would be saved 400k memory during kindle halted

I would not stop the screensaver using helper+, because my program running progress is very long, I need put kindle to my pocket, I mean I just need a blank screensaver

my pc connect kindle by USBNetwork Hack, it looks no permission to delete any file in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ path, do you know how can I get permission of this folder and delete those images? thanks!

Last edited by kdusr; 05-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
- - - -

my pc connect kindle by USBNetwork Hack, it looks no permission to delete any file in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ path, do you know how can I get permission of this folder and delete those images? thanks!
Ah, So - you must mean you are accessing it over WiFi, not over USB.
If you access it over USB, you will see the MOTD, that will tell you about what you need to do.
Your other choice is to read the directions.

= = = =

You write that your using a Kindle Voyage.
Which is an e-ink device.

That means your making some wrong assumptions.

That the display has to be refreshed (and hence the image data must be always taking up memory space).
It does not have to be refreshed, it does not even need power to display what was last written to it.

Second, the memory space that it does take up during the time it is being written is the frame buffer.
That memory is assigned permanently to the kernel, it is not part of the assignable memory space.

Your best choice for what you say you are doing is to enable swap in these conditions.

Your second best choice is to disable the framework task, as was suggested above.

You can do both if you wish.

Last edited by knc1; 05-14-2017 at 02:54 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kindle, path, screensaver