Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
TidusWulf
TidusWulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Glow+6
Question Bought a Nook Glowlight+ (BNRV510) from the thrift store for $5. How to bypass setup?

It had an account on it when I bought it, but since I wanted to connect my own account, I erased and reformatted it. When I went thru the setup, it gets stuck after login. I called B&N and they said it's blacklisted and they won't undo it for me. I've tried several methods mentioned here to bypass setup, but I'm getting nowhere. It's definitely on the newest firmware because after the reset, it found and applied a firmware update after connecting to Wifi. However I don't know specifically what version number the firmware is.
TidusWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Sorry I'm not helpful as far as bypassing registration. I've just never heard of a blacklisted Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sorry I'm not helpful as far as bypassing registration. I've just never heard of a blacklisted Nook.
That's been around for close to a decade that I know of. See Blacklisted on forum.xda-developers.com.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
TidusWulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My best guess is that if you call BN and report it lost/stolen they blacklist it and give you a discount on a replacement.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
TidusWulf

Good news! I got it all figured out, thanks to a user's assistance on xda-developers. https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...1#post83417161

First, enter the easter egg. On the welcome screen, repeatedly tap the top left then right. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...65&postcount=5

Press "Android Development Settings" and then Enable "USB Debugging". Plug into your computer and run "adb devices" from the command prompt.

Your device should show, but say "unauthorized". Press "allow debugging" on the nook. run "adb devices" again and you should get a better result.

find a launcher such as RelauncherX and push it to the Nook using "adb install RelauncherX.apk".

Root the device with this package: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=64191791

Disable the Boot animation because it's bugged and if you don't, you can't boot into anything. To do it, type these lines one at a time into the command prompt. When you type "su" you should get a prompt on the Nook to allow Superuser Access. Grant access permanently.

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
mv /system/bin/bootanimation /system/bin/bootanimation.bak
reboot
after the reboot, verify you still have root by typing "adb shell" and "su" again. You shouldn't get a prompt on the Nook, and you shouldn't get an error in the command prompt.

To disable the welcome screen and initial setup, you have to enter a few more codes.

Code:
# pm disable com.nook.partner/.oobe.WelcomeScreenActivity
# pm disable com.nook.partner/.OobeLauncherActivity
Finally, when you Press Home, you will have a choice of Launchers. Nook or RelauncherX. Choose RelauncherX, then ALWAYS. That's it. You've bypassed registration completely. Unfortunately, the Nook Launcher is also the default E-reader. You need to use use "adb install" and install another ereader app to actually read books, because trying to launch the Nook app will put you back on the welcome screen. I recommend KoReader. https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases The latest "android-arm" release works great on the Nook.

Last edited by TidusWulf; 09-03-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So the short answer is it cannot be done. because you cannot use it to read eBooks using RMSDK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
TidusWulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the short answer is it cannot be done. because you cannot use it to read eBooks using RMSDK.
I'm not familiar with this term, RMSDK. What exactly am I missing out on? A Google Search gives a lot of results, but not really information relating to what you just said.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusWulf View Post
I'm not familiar with this term, RMSDK. What exactly am I missing out on? A Google Search gives a lot of results, but not really information relating to what you just said.
RMSDK is the underlying software for ADE. It's the reading software that the nook uses.

Also, I think it's in bad form to keep a nook that you now it blacklisted and to try to use it. You should be trying to return it and get your money back. IT's immoral if not illegal to use it.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
RMSDK is the underlying software for ADE. It's the reading software that the nook uses.

Also, I think it's in bad form to keep a nook that you now it blacklisted and to try to use it. You should be trying to return it and get your money back. IT's immoral if not illegal to use it.
There’s quite a bit of reasonable doubt about it being stolen. First and foremost it’s at a thrift store not a pawn shop especially as they’re currently listed on various sites for ~90USD. The person who gave it to the thrift shop would have received nothing for it which is a bit odd for a stolen device.

More likely it was lost and reported missing by the owner. BN would still blacklist the Nook. Then found by someone who dropped it off at the thrift store.

OP could try contacting BN to see if they’d send the nook to the original owner. Perhaps if they went in to a BN and found a well informed employee who knew how to look up serials to get the basic account information (email and maybe name, I don’t think it gave anything else) and assuming that system is even still available to booksellers OP could then email them.

But honestly I rather doubt either scenario would meet with any success. Mostly because of privacy concerns and none of the employees being paid anywhere near enough to try and work around the systems in place to get said systems to do things they weren’t intended for by the corporate offices.

Sure you can try returning it to the thrift store as stolen but I’d be doubtful that even if they are honest and make the same good attempts at getting it back to the original owner that they would have any more success.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Perhaps if they went in to a BN and found a well informed employee who knew how to look up serials to get the basic account information (email and maybe name, I don’t think it gave anything else) and assuming that system is even still available to booksellers OP could then email them.
Goodness, I hope not! An employee able to access a customer’s personal info at will, and then sharing said personal info with an anonymous caller? That is insanity.

Sometimes things aren’t worth the thought, much less the time and effort. The reader became a dead loss at some point and there’s a trivial sum involved for the purchaser. Move on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I think such a device could still have ebooks side-loaded to it and read on the device.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Goodness, I hope not! An employee able to access a customer’s personal info at will, and then sharing said personal info with an anonymous caller? That is insanity.

Sometimes things aren’t worth the thought, much less the time and effort. The reader became a dead loss at some point and there’s a trivial sum involved for the purchaser. Move on.
Agreed on the not worth the thought point.

A bookseller with the serial number could at one point look up the history of the device. Which included at least the email used, and any issues logged with BN support. Though I think it was a system tool only available to managers. But again I rather doubt they’d give out that information.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thing is, I don't think we should help anyone get a blacklisted Reader to be usable.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Thing is, I don't think we should help anyone get a blacklisted Reader to be usable.
If you don’t want to help, don’t help. That’s easy. It’s best not to impugn others’ motives, though. There was a recent unfortunate thread where the seller of a blacklisted device was referred to as a thief, which was not the case. If you think somethng’s against MR rules, report it. Otherwise, let it go.

The reality in this situation of a $5 thrift purchase of an item where the original owner hasn’t a hope of getting it back and moved on long ago is that it’s a trivial issue no matter where you fall on it. And people in these situations who talk about getting the police involved or contacting the original owner through the storefront are, quite frankly, nuts. It’s worth no one’s while.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

IMHO, the thing to do is contact the thrift store there it came from to request t be returned.