Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Harry Potter KePUB format

I apologize if this is in the wrong part of the forum. I guess it's a conversion issue but I'm not sure. I've converted three Harry Potter books from AZW3 (initial format) to AZW3 and then to KePUB. I did an AZW3 to AZW3 conversion because I chose the option to 'Insert a blank line between paragraphs'. I then converted to KePUB and have synced the books to my Aura HD. I opened one of the books on my Kobo reader and it looks messed up. Some of the illustrations don't show up. I have to turn the page and then go back for an illustration to appear. And when it does, it's aligned to the left instead of being centered. The 'Contents' page as well is aligned to the left. I sideloaded the books to my Kindle Paperwhite and they look right.

I've posted some pictures in order to show how the book looks on both the Paperwhite and Aura HD. Anyone know why the book appears like that on the Kobo?

(obviously, the first three are of the Kobo, the last two is a screenshot of the book on my Paperwhite).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	669.3 KB
ID:	121530   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	857.2 KB
ID:	121531   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	121532   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2014_04_11T11_59_28+0400.png
Views:	359
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	121533   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2014_04_11T11_58_51+0400.png
Views:	420
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	121534  
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What does it look like you you convert to epub? And then to kepub? The reason I ask is that I don't know how much testing was done when converting from the other formats to kepub.

Also, you can take screenshots on the Kobo devices. Add the following lines to the config file:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
If the "FeatureSettings" section is already there, add the other line after it.

With those lines in place, pushing the power slider will take a screenshot. The only problem is that you can't use the power slider to put the device to sleep or wake it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I do know about this however I really need the function of the power button

I did as you asked, it looks the same.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
One of the nice things about Harry Potter is you should be able to link your purchase to each of the major stores, as well as download a non-DRM EPUB directly.

What does the official Kobo kepub look like?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Yes, I do know about this however I really need the function of the power button
OK. I add and remove the setting as needed. And when I forget to remove it, I use the magnet in my iPad's sleep cover to wake it.
Quote:
I did as you asked, it looks the same.
Did the epub look the same? I'm wondering if formatting is lost in the conversion to epub, or if it is something in the kepub.
Advert
Old 04-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard

Harry Potter KePUB format

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
One of the nice things about Harry Potter is you should be able to link your purchase to each of the major stores, as well as download a non-DRM EPUB directly.

What does the official Kobo kepub look like?

This is what the books (in KePUB format) look like when opening it via the Kobo Desktop App.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.59.31 AM.png
Views:	378
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	121599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 10.59.55 AM.png
Views:	358
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	121600  

Last edited by Gazella; 04-12-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did the epub look the same? I'm wondering if formatting is lost in the conversion to epub, or if it is something in the kepub.
I'm sorry. I think I stated in my previous posts that the ePUB looks the same. The formatting looks correct in ePUB. I think the formatting issue is with KePUB.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm sorry. I think I stated in my previous posts that the ePUB looks the same. The formatting looks correct in ePUB. I think the formatting issue is with KePUB.
You said it "looked the same". But, you didn't say which it was the same as

I grabbed the epub samples from Pottermore. Looking at the contents page, they are converting and displaying correctly as kepubs. These don't have not have exactly code as they only have the first chapter in them.

Have you made any changes to the conversion settings? Or, do you have a "kepub-book.css" on the device that might be changing the display? And which driver are you using to send the books to the device? The standard or the extended driver?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
You said it "looked the same". But, you didn't say which it was the same as
Sorry. I should've been more clear. I thought the ePUB had formatting issues which is what I meant by the same (same as KePUB) but no, the ePUB version is formatted correctly. Illustrations and the Contents page are all aligned center and formatted correctly. It looks like the Kindle PW screen shots.

Quote:
I grabbed the epub samples from Pottermore. Looking at the contents page, they are converting and displaying correctly as kepubs. These don't have not have exactly code as they only have the first chapter in them.
So you chose Kobo to get the ePUB? I want to know which store option to choose to get the book in ePUB in order to check.

Quote:
Have you made any changes to the conversion settings? Or, do you have a "kepub-book.css" on the device that might be changing the display? And which driver are you using to send the books to the device? The standard or the extended driver?

I didn't change anything. How do I check if my device has a "kepub-book.css"? I'm using the "KoboTouchExtended" driver.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So you chose Kobo to get the ePUB? I want to know which store option to choose to get the book in ePUB in order to check.
Yes. I went to the Kobo shop, searched for a Harry Potter book and there was a button to go to Pottermoore. Pottermore had a button to download a sample. The sample was an epub.

Quote:
I didn't change anything. How do I check if my device has a "kepub-book.css"?
The "kepub-book.css" has some extra CSS that is used with all kepubs on the device. I use it to change the paragraph style to have a starting indent and no space between the paragraph. It goes in the ".kobo/kepub" directory. At the moment, mine looks like:

Code:
h2  + p , h4  + p, hr  + p {
	text-indent:0 !important;
	}
p, p.indent, .tx, .bodyParagraph {
	text-indent:1.2em !important;
	margin-top:0em !important;
	margin-bottom:0 !important;
	padding-bottom: 0 !important;
	}
p.nonindent, .tx1 {
	text-indent: 0 !important;
	margin-top:0 !important;
	margin-bottom:0 !important;
	padding-top: 0 !important;
	padding-bottom: 0 !important;
	}

@page {
	margin: 0 !important;
	}
I did a test without this on the device and there was no difference.
Quote:
I'm using the "KoboTouchExtended" driver.
So the conversion to kepub happens during the send. I was using the Kepub Output plugin and doing a conversion followed by a send using the default plugin. But a test with the extended driver doesn't show anything different for me.

At this point, I don't know why there is a difference. I think I would need to see the generated file to see what was happening.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
This is what the books (in KePUB format) look like when opening it via the Kobo Desktop App.
Well, that does look lovely, doesn't it!!

I can't imagine that that would be inflicted on all of Kobo's customers -- perhaps you could upload a sample of your Kepub (official or converted) to check if that happens on other ppl's Kobos?

Open calibre Edit Book (shortcut key = "T") and just delete all the chapter fies except for Chapter One. Save as new ebook (don't overwrite your old copy!!) and add to calibre as a sample. Convert that, and post it here.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
Gazella
Wizard

I would do that but the problem is, I can't seem to download the ebook from Kobo. There's no download button option. Pottermore sends the ebook to my Kobo account and I should get a Kobo download button when accessing My Library to download the file. The book did get synced to the Kobo Desktop App but I also want to be able to download the ebook file and I can't do that without the download button.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 11.23.45 AM.png
Views:	322
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	121633  
Old 04-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I would do that but the problem is, I can't seem to download the ebook from Kobo. There's no download button option. Pottermore sends the ebook to my Kobo account and I should get a Kobo download button when accessing My Library to download the file. The book did get synced to the Kobo Desktop App but I also want to be able to download the ebook file and I can't do that without the download button.
IIRC others have posted that the Kobo copies are kePub only, to get an ePub you need to download the DRM-free copy direct from the Pottermore site.

In the past linking to Sony was an option to get an ePub as well, but since they've closed that's out. I suppose linking to B&N probably gives an ePub with B&N DRM. Don't know if Google Play linking would provide an ePub or not.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-13-2014 at 03:31 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC others have posted that the Kobo copies are kePub only, to get an ePub you need to download the DRM-free copy direct from the Pottermore site.

In the past linking to Sony was an option to get an ePub as well, but since they've closed that's out. I suppose linking to B&N probably gives an ePub with B&N DRM. Don't know if Google Play linking would provide an ePub or not.
I would like to download the KePUB version. I think the only way to do that is from the Kobo website. But as I stated, there isn't an option to download.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I would like to download the KePUB version. I think the only way to do that is from the Kobo website. But as I stated, there isn't an option to download.
kePub's can never be downloaded from a download button on the site, that's for ePub's and occasionally PDF's. kePub's only download to Kobo apps and devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote