Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Kindle Touch importing books problem: No covers, no book description.

Just received today my Kindle Touch and I'm very satisfied with it, but i've encountered some problems.
I have some .mobi books in my calibre library and when I transferred them to the kindle they where stored in the document category. After searching the forum I found that making a mobi to mobi conversion keeping the "personal doc tag" empty or with [ebok] solved the problem, although I prefered to find a solution that didn't require any conversion since I'm afraid I'll alter something in the ebook layout or format without me knowing it.

Anyway, solved that one (i think).

But when I browse the book in my kindle touch and if I press and hold on them, the covers of the books don't show (they are replaced by the screensaver images miniaturized) and the Book Description function doesnt work (it redirects me to the main page of the kindle store instead of the page of the book).
I search the forum but haven't found a solution for this.
Is there a solution I can apply to a large number of book all at once to fix this?
I saw one that used a java program but that required opening the books one by one.

I used the "quality check" plugin for calibre and it says that all the books have ASIN identifiers.

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can help me.
Thank you very much.

Edit: after some thinking and experimenting I think this problem may be related to the isbn and asin numbers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...book+paperback

Last edited by Mayr; 05-22-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
I tried manually changing the ASIN number of a book that wasn't working to the correct asin number of the ebook format.

Nothing changed.

I then manually changed the isbn number to the one corresponding to the ebook format (took it from the kindle store book description) and then it worked. The correct cover apeared and clickiing on "book description" sends me to the book description in the kindle store.

Unfortunely not all ebooks have the isbn number in their description in the kindle store so I can't fix my other books.

For example, this book http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Science-eb...7674303&sr=1-1 has in the description the isbn an asin number so it works in my kindle when i manually change them:
Product Details
File Size: 1044 KB
Print Length: 387 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 000728487X
Publisher: Fourth Estate (December 7, 2008)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B002RI9ORI

Any help would be apreciated, I hope I'm explaining mtself well...

Last edited by Mayr; 05-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Yack
Yack began at the beginning.

Device: KT/Kobo/iPad/iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
I then manually changed the isbn number to the one corresponding to the ebook format (took it from the kindle store book description) and then it worked. The correct cover apeared and clickiing on "book description" sends me to the book description in the kindle store.
Nice trick. I will give it a try..
Concerning the covers, this thread may interest you : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177741
Yack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
What you have described - screensaver thumbnails displaying when long pressing a side-loaded mobi - began after the latest firmware update. Disappointing, yes, but it only is an (momentary) issue when I am long-pressing a title to tag with collections. The cover itself appears normally within the book.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Good tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
Just received today my Kindle Touch and I'm very satisfied with it, but i've encountered some problems.
I have some .mobi books in my calibre library and when I transferred them to the kindle they where stored in the document category. After searching the forum I found that making a mobi to mobi conversion keeping the "personal doc tag" empty or with [ebok] solved the problem, although I prefered to find a solution that didn't require any conversion since I'm afraid I'll alter something in the ebook layout or format without me knowing it.
Thank you...I've had 4 books go into personal docs...I'll give your trick a try with them.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Zikka
Zikka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I was going to say (til I saw your edit) that the ISBN number is what will make it go to the correct book in the kindle store...and what will allow it to download the right cover from the metadata.

ISBN is what it's all about
Zikka is offline   Reply With Quote