Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #136
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Isn't this a little bit like Bose deciding they were going to start selling cars to get you to buy their car sound systems, though? I'm pretty sure there's a reason Bose doesn't do that...
No, it's not really much like that, I don't think. It's much more like Amazon selling Kindles, so you'll buy more Kindle ebooks. That seems to have worked out well.

I really think Amazon selling a tablet is just an extension of their already proven Kindle strategy. That actually worries me a bit, in that it may lead them to attempt to lock the device down. I hope I'm wrong though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #137
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
My money is on Amazon selling a tablet sooner or later, and they will be successful. Their tablets will have some distinguishing features, perhaps screen technology. That they will try to lock it down is a given. But if it is Android nobody should be worried about that. Hackers would find a way to unlock it in a flash.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #138
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Isn't this a little bit like Bose deciding they were going to start selling cars to get you to buy their car sound systems, though? I'm pretty sure there's a reason Bose doesn't do that...
It doesn't matter, Amazon's gonna do it anyway.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #139
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
That actually worries me a bit, in that it may lead them to attempt to lock the device down. I hope I'm wrong though.
That wouldn't bother me or the majority of other consumers who want a simple tablet at a reasonable price for entertainment.

If Amazon produced a tablet with the following specs and locked in to the Amazon ecosystem (apps, books, music, video, cloud, etc), it would be a runaway hit:
  • Android 2.3 Gingerbread or 3.0 Honeycomb
  • 1.0 GHz single core processor, 512MB RAM
  • 1024x600 IPS display
  • WiFi b/g/n only
  • 8-16GB onboard storage
  • microSD card slot
  • NO cameras, NO GPS, NO HDMI out, NO 3G
  • Price: $225-239
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #140
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You could get "autostarts" and just block it from there.
Autostarts seems to require root access. I've intended to root my Epic but haven't done so because I distrust my backup system.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #141
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
No, it's not really much like that, I don't think. It's much more like Amazon selling Kindles, so you'll buy more Kindle ebooks. That seems to have worked out well.
If it's just like Amazon selling Kindles, then it's a stupid thing to do, since Amazon already sells Kindles. Amazon also already gives away the Kindle for Android software, and the Kindle for PC software, so they have everything they need (except for the Linux client, which they arguably don't need, since the K4PC client runs under Wine) to run the Kindle software on every tablet in existence (including the iPad). The only thing Amazon seems to gain here is selling the actual hardware. If that's their plan, then the hardware better be better than anything else in existence, at a lower price point than comparable offerings. Even that doesn't guarantee they don't get their asses kicked by Apple. They're apparently entering a market with a 1600lb gorilla, and they're not it. That's not an enviable position to be in -- especially when the low end of the spectrum is already taken by capable tablets.

Quote:
I really think Amazon selling a tablet is just an extension of their already proven Kindle strategy. That actually worries me a bit, in that it may lead them to attempt to lock the device down. I hope I'm wrong though.
I see their Kindle strategy as something different. In the e-reader space, they sell e-books in a format you can only natively read on the Kindle. Amazon is also much larger in this arena then they are in the tablet space (because they didn't get in early in tablets). They've got name recognition going for them, but they're going up against the Nook and the iPad, both of which have good name recognition in the field, and one of which is pretty much a cultural phenomenon equal to or surpassing the Kindle.

Unless there's something extra special about the Amazon tablet (and a screen with a 180 degree viewing angle isn't going to be it, IMO), they've really set themselves up to be destroyed in the tablet space.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #142
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If Amazon produced a tablet with the following specs and locked in to the Amazon ecosystem (apps, books, music, video, cloud, etc), it would be a runaway hit:
  • 1024x600 IPS display
  • WiFi b/g/n only
  • 8-16GB onboard storage
  • microSD card slot
Do you think the IPS screen would really gain them that much over the Nook? Except for the screen and the price, you've essentially described a Nook. (Okay, the Nook has 8GB of onboard memory, whereas your hypothetical device would have up to 16, but once you give it a microSD card, I don't think capacity is much of a consideration.)

I'm sure there is something Amazon can do to distinguish the upcoming tablet, but what worries me is that I don't know what it is. What will they be able to do with their tablet that they wouldn't be able to do by putting their software on everyone else's tablet?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #143
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Do you think the IPS screen would really gain them that much over the Nook? Except for the screen and the price, you've essentially described a Nook. (Okay, the Nook has 8GB of onboard memory, whereas your hypothetical device would have up to 16, but once you give it a microSD card, I don't think capacity is much of a consideration.)

I'm sure there is something Amazon can do to distinguish the upcoming tablet, but what worries me is that I don't know what it is. What will they be able to do with their tablet that they wouldn't be able to do by putting their software on everyone else's tablet?
That is the Nook's screen; and yes, I just described a Nook Color with a bit more speed and locked into Amazon's ecosystem.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #144
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
That is the Nook's screen; and yes, I just described a Nook Color with a bit more speed and locked into Amazon's ecosystem.
I just don't see that as cutting it. Amazon isn't Apple. They have a good ecosystem, but it's not one with the reputation iTunes has. They'd also be faced with the problem of having to lock all the other tablets out of the ecosystem. Why would anyone want to be tied to the Amazon ecosystem, when they could buy a tablet that doesn't lock them in? I think the only way it'd be successful is if they exiled all other tablets out of Amazon Instant Video, the Amazon App Store, the Kindle store, etc. Otherwise, those who wanted to spend a little less money would get the Nook, and those willing to spend a little more money would get one of the other Android tablets.

The thing I think that would make it worth it is if there was some new service they could introduce that only their tablet had access to.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #145
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I just don't see that as cutting it. Amazon isn't Apple. They have a good ecosystem, but it's not one with the reputation iTunes has. They'd also be faced with the problem of having to lock all the other tablets out of the ecosystem. Why would anyone want to be tied to the Amazon ecosystem, when they could buy a tablet that doesn't lock them in? I think the only way it'd be successful is if they exiled all other tablets out of Amazon Instant Video, the Amazon App Store, the Kindle store, etc. Otherwise, those who wanted to spend a little less money would get the Nook, and those willing to spend a little more money would get one of the other Android tablets.

The thing I think that would make it worth it is if there was some new service they could introduce that only their tablet had access to.
They don't need to lock anyone out. They only need to lock in their tablet.

If B&N had an app store the size and price of Amazon's Appstore when they launched the Nook Color, there would've been no need for me to jailbreak my Color.

Amazon tablet owners will have a large, friendly content environment and won't feel the need to stray. Other tablet owners have already strayed and may or may not get Amazon content.

Now price that tablet under $250, give it name recognition and you'll ensure far more content sales, because consumers will eagerly snap it up.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #146
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If it's just like Amazon selling Kindles, then it's a stupid thing to do, since Amazon already sells Kindles. Amazon also already gives away the Kindle for Android software, and the Kindle for PC software, so they have everything they need (except for the Linux client, which they arguably don't need, since the K4PC client runs under Wine) to run the Kindle software on every tablet in existence (including the iPad).
I didn't say they would do it to sell ebooks, I said that's what it would be like. Hardware driving software sales.

Last edited by carld; 05-18-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: missing word
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #147
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
f it's just like Amazon selling Kindles, then it's a stupid thing to do, since Amazon already sells Kindles. Amazon also already gives away the Kindle for Android software, and the Kindle for PC software, so they have everything they need (except for the Linux client, which they arguably don't need, since the K4PC client runs under Wine) to run the Kindle software on every tablet in existence (including the iPad). The only thing Amazon seems to gain here is selling the actual hardware. If that's their plan, then the hardware better be better than anything else in existence, at a lower price point than comparable offerings. Even that doesn't guarantee they don't get their asses kicked by Apple. They're apparently entering a market with a 1600lb gorilla, and they're not it. That's not an enviable position to be in -- especially when the low end of the spectrum is already taken by capable tablets.
I think you might be looking at things through book-centric goggles. Kindles are good for ebooks: they are not good (in fact, hopeless) at music, games, apps, movies & TV shows. Amazon sells all of these. As a retailer of those goods, Amazon is already in those markets, in competition with Apple. Its getting its a$$ kicked too.
One of the reasons its getting beat? Because Apple has a whole series of beautiful devices to showcase and play these goods-devices that are seamlessly integrated with a store that sells these goods. The UX of this integration of software and hardware is second to none, and beats hollow the UX of the Amazon mp3 store and the Android collection of phones (I say this as an Android phone user). If you are talking games, movies, and apps, the situation is even worse.
With Apple, hardware sales drive software sales, which in turn drive software sales. You can say Apple is a seller of hardware first, but it also has the world's largest music store and the world's largest software store.
Amazon plans to follow Apple's lead here and I think it has a good chance to at least challenge Apple's dominance, if it plays its cards right.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #148
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Amazon plans to follow Apple's lead here and I think it has a good chance to at least challenge Apple's dominance, if it plays its cards right.
Until Apple feels threatened, and then decides to litigate rather than further innovate.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #149
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
That wouldn't bother me or the majority of other consumers who want a simple tablet at a reasonable price for entertainment.

• 1024x600 IPS display
  • WiFi b/g/n only
  • 8-16GB onboard storage
  • microSD card slot
While Amazon may offer something like this, I think it is VERY LIKELY that Amazon may offer a high performing 10" tablet. Three of the things consumers most like to do with tablets are:

*surfing the web
*playing games
*watching videos.

Those things are all best done on a 10" screen with a high performing processor.Speaking for myself, I've watched a bunch of Netflix on my Ipad-something that I wouldn't have done with a smaller screen. What is one of the businesses that Amazon is in? Selling movies and TV shows-including VOD.
Personally, I think Apple hit it the first time. If the focus of the device is audio, then a pocket-sized device is fine, with a great screen being a nice add on but not crucial. If the focus is on visual media, then you need the biggest high quality screen that you can comfortably carry around-which means 10" . Seven inches is OK for most ebooks, but not for other visual media.

As for 3G- I think Amazon will offer a 3G model.After almost 6 months of Ipad usage, my biggest regret is that I didn't get the 3G model. It would have been worth it, with the deal Apple was offering. If Amazon offers a 3G model, with a bargain price data plan, I would recommend that option.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #150
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
While Amazon may offer something like this, I think it is VERY LIKELY that Amazon may offer a high performing 10" tablet. Three of the things consumers most like to do with tablets are:

*surfing the web
*playing games
*watching videos.

Those things are all best done on a 10" screen with a high performing processor.Speaking for myself, I've watched a bunch of Netflix on my Ipad-something that I wouldn't have done with a smaller screen. What is one of the businesses that Amazon is in? Selling movies and TV shows-including VOD.
Very few of my friends want a 10" tablet; most want 7" for portability. If I'm going to watch video on a 10" screen, then I'll do so on my netbook.

I see Amazon producing a $225-239 7" tablet like I described for the average consumer. I also see them doing a $500+ 10" tablet tricked out with all the bells and whistles found on a smartphone for the not-average consumer. They may even do a smartphone and an Android touch.

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle