Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
the majority of the world I am guessing would take a belly punch for a few million. To turn down a billion most people would call you insane and in need of help. And if you would do it for a billion then it is a question of price.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. Houdini used to bet people that he could take any blow in the abdomen without injury. A McGill university student hit him, ruptured his appendix, and he died of peritonitis.
There is more to it than that. Harry was unaware that he was going to get hit. He did not have time to tighten his chest.
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
You really wouldn't let someone punch you in the belly for a billion dollars?
Well, yes. I may be disturbed, but I'm not stupid .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I think I'd be willing to negotiate a price.
I don't believe in the argument "If I were homeless." etc
my reasoning is as follows: ewen if you have enough money, by <insert_standard> there's always a way to wisely spend extra money, until you own so much of it that the percentige gain only is actually more than you use up, without getting weirdo. Its not about being greedy. And I know that money doesn't make one happy. It's a tool. Tools don't make you happy - they just simplify the process of doing what you intend to do.

e.g. for a self sustainable (water and energy) house in the country with some fruit trees cows and chickens - why not?

I'd surely cost about several 100k up to 2 mln € for a self sustainable micro colony.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #35
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I always thought that I was good at taking a punch until was holding the heavy bag for some students I had in a summer program and a very ordinary looking 15 year old gave the bag and me a flying lesson. Still I could be game for the right price.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #36
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
This has been a surprisingly interesting thread to read.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #37
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
well, why not - think this way: you get a punch, it hurts - you get lets say
10.000.000,- €
there are regular jobs being more risky and less paid <== as long as this is a matter of fact it can't be regarded a stupid decision to accept such an agreement.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #38
happy_terd
Banned

HarryT was right when he said that it is perverse to offer money to hit someone in the belly.

I never disagreed with this. I do think that everyone would be willing to let this happen for a price. You can say never, but a billion dollars in cash before you all legal and crap would be a hell of a motivator. And if not a billion then how about a trillion? There is always a price.

This is a reason why in most places it is illegal for people to sell their bodies for organs or for sex even if both parties are willing. Exploitation of any person regardless of social class and poverty level is wrong in all forms, willing participants or not.

But that doesnt mean we all dont have a price. A billion dollars for the next 20 generations of my family to live the rich life...sure I would give a kidney.

Last edited by happy_terd; 01-22-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #39
happy_terd
Banned

I am also lowering my belling popping price to 50 bucks.

Last edited by happy_terd; 01-22-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #40
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
If someone came up to you and told you that they really wanted to punch you in the belly and was willing to pay you for your trouble what would be the lowest price you would be willing to settle for?

The guy doing the hitting would be just a regular guy and not a trained fighter. No permanent damage would occur and the only injury you would have is just a badly bruised belly. No retaliation of any form would be allowed.

How much?

I would let someone punch me in the belly for no less than $60.
You should see a doctor...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #41
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I am also lowering my belling popping price to 50 bucks.
So you would seriously expect us to believe you would risk your health for a mere 50 bucks - with a potential high medical bill possible, or a funeral bill ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #42
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I had a guy ask me in a bar how much could he pay me to let him bite my a**. I turned to face him, paused then leaned in towards his stupid grin and calmly said, "A tooth. If you let me knock out a tooth, you can bite my a**." Later that evening I heard a commotion coming from his general direction. I turned to find a girl cussing and screaming, him drenched in beer, and the beer mug on the floor.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #43
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
So you would seriously expect us to believe you would risk your health for a mere 50 bucks - with a potential high medical bill possible, or a funeral bill ...

(where are all of the rough housers at???)

Even a punch in the kisser isnt all that bad. A belly punch that you know is coming and you can prepare for is not all that horrible. In the barracks days we use to rough house all the time. we use to fight. That is part of being "brothers."

You have a better chance in throwing out your back doing real work and alcohol numbs the pain.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I do think that everyone would be willing to let this happen for a price. You can say never, but a billion dollars in cash before you all legal and crap would be a hell of a motivator. And if not a billion then how about a trillion? There is always a price.
I'd be willing to say that if someone didn't do it for a billion then they aren't going to do it for a trillion either.

Me, I'd take one for a $500. That a car payment and one heck of night out for me and my wife!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #45
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'd be willing to say that if someone didn't do it for a billion then they aren't going to do it for a trillion either.

Me, I'd take one for a $500. That a car payment and one heck of night out for me and my wife!!
Bill gates might not do it for billion since he has billions. He may do it for a trillion though.