Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-21-2024, 07:08 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I hope I haven't misunderstood anything, but why not use the rules for the metadata source - also works with Regex?
Attachment 207741
For thousands of publishers? I'd spend months creating the rules. Besides, I don't download metadata at all, as I'd have to edit most of it manually anyway. So I fill in my metadata manually from the beginning, less work for me. I'm very fussy about my metadata and no metadata source gives it to me like I want it to be.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:54 AM   #17
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For thousands of publishers? I'd spend months creating the rules. Besides, I don't download metadata at all, as I'd have to edit most of it manually anyway. So I fill in my metadata manually from the beginning, less work for me. I'm very fussy about my metadata and no metadata source gives it to me like I want it to be.
Sorry Sirtel, you are exaggerating. Of course, you only create a rule if there are inconsistencies - in my case not two dozen.

And downloading metadata or not - suum cuique

Last edited by Wiggo; 04-21-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2024, 08:26 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry Sirtel, but that's nonsense. Of course, you only create a rule if there are inconsistencies - in my case not two dozen.

And downloading metadata or not - suum cuique
There are a thousand or more inconsistencies in my case. Basically every commercial publisher has several different variations of their name. Even some small publishers have them, and even self-published authors have different versions of their own name often enough.

And as I said, I don't actually download metadata, so I have nothing to create rules for.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-21-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:36 AM   #19
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are a thousand or more inconsistencies in my case. Basically every commercial publisher has several different variations of their name. Even some small publishers have them, and even self-published authors have different versions of their own name often enough.
One smart rule covers it all
Quote:
And as I said, I don't actually download metadata, so I have nothing to create rules for.
But the OP maybe....
Old 04-21-2024, 09:01 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One smart rule covers it all
No, it doesn't. Often enough the company has changed their name more than once (Tom Doherty Associations vs Tor, for example). The publisher info may list an imprint name instead of the actual company name; imprints get sold, renamed, dissolved and so on. It's a total mess.

Maybe the German publisher names have more order to them. The UK and US ones are chaos.
Advert
Old 04-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #21
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Often enough the company has changed their name more than once (Tom Doherty Associations vs Tor, for example). The publisher info may list an imprint name instead of the actual company name; imprints get sold, renamed, dissolved and so on. It's a total mess.

Maybe the German publisher names have more order to them. The UK and US ones are chaos.
Changing names doesn't matter.

To stick with your example, Tom Doherty remains Tom Doherty and Tor remains Tor. These are the publishers under which it was published, the same for Imprints. A book that was published under publisher XY doesn't change just because the publisher was bought by AB decades later.

What's on the cover counts (more or less ) - at least for me
Old 04-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #22
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I hope I haven't misunderstood anything, but why not use the rules for the metadata source - also works with Regex?
Attachment 207741
Thanks for the suggestion, but for all the inconsistencies I'm finding it seems like it would be easier and more reliable to just vet and fix them ad hoc.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:16 AM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I have about 7000 publishers for close to 40,000 books. Many of those are actually the same publisher with different versions of their name.
Have you tried the Find Duplicates' metadata variations? That might help a bit.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #24
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but for all the inconsistencies I'm finding it seems like it would be easier and more reliable to just vet and fix them ad hoc.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

As I said, smart rules rule! Ask the Regex pros for help - your Simon & Schuster example can be done with one rule - but to each his own

Last edited by Wiggo; 04-21-2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:33 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

+1 and +1
Baen does this all the time (although I don't think I have seen them use S&S there).

Authors (at least for all publishers in my Library):
Middle initial With or without a period Or even the initial
Robert Heinlein, Robert A Heinlein,Robert A. Heinlein (I don't remember seeing his full middle name on a cover)

Christopher Nuttall has the variations of middle initial frequently.
I chose:
Christopher G. Nuttall as MY standard as it was most frequent at the time.

:bulb2; Quality check Plugin has tools in the FIX section to help standardize

OTOH
There are deliberate Author name variations for some who choose to write in different genres. ( Initials in one, Middle name (only) Last, In another. Those I do not Mix.

Then there is the real PITA , 2 Authors with the same name... (I am waiting for one of them to get with another to write, just to really tick me off )
Variations are why I don't Automate fully.

I would love to have a way to mark 'those problem kids' (in Manage...?): Human help needed NOW, and have Calibre stop the Add / non-interactive metadata update) and have it wait for user to resolve, rather than proceeding where they need to be discovered later.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:35 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Then there is the real PITA , 2 Authors with the same name... (I am waiting for one of them to get with another to write, just to really tick me off )
Series with the same name, too.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 12:22 PM   #27
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
+1 and +1
Baen does this all the time (although I don't think I have seen them use S&S there).

Authors (at least for all publishers in my Library):
Middle initial With or without a period Or even the initial
Robert Heinlein, Robert A Heinlein,Robert A. Heinlein (I don't remember seeing his full middle name on a cover)

Christopher Nuttall has the variations of middle initial frequently.
I chose:
Christopher G. Nuttall as MY standard as it was most frequent at the time.

:bulb2; Quality check Plugin has tools in the FIX section to help standardize

OTOH
There are deliberate Author name variations for some who choose to write in different genres. ( Initials in one, Middle name (only) Last, In another. Those I do not Mix.

I would love to have a way to mark 'those problem kids' (in Manage...?): Human help needed NOW, and have Calibre stop the Add / non-interactive metadata update) and have it wait for user to resolve, rather than proceeding where they need to be discovered later.
I don’t understand your issues here, that’s what aliases are for.

Maybe we should vote for an unique ID, to track down every single author.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:21 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Eh no. I just gave up on the publishers. I leave them as they are. It's not that important an issue for me. Now authors, those I always fix - an author name must be consistent. But I leave aliases alone, because I don't always know they are aliases anyway.

Series names I also fix to be consistent. Series with the same name are a pain, yes, but I usually don't change them for this reason only.

I do use the Find Duplicates plugin for some things - just not for publishers.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:28 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That is a good idea.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:31 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

As I said, smart rules rule! Ask the Regex pros for help - your Simon & Schuster example can be done with one rule - but to each his own
Personally I do use rules, but for other things - column icons and coloring, mostly.

Tags
imprint, library, publisher