Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
PRS-900 Production Video Review

Just found a 9 minute video review of the PRS-900 if anyone is interested. This is from a shipping production unit as opposed to some of the earlier videos which were from pre-production devices. Overall it looks pretty nice.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/sony-prs-900.html

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 12-26-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Thank you. I shared this link in the Sony forum in one of the threads asking for a complete review!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Holy cow! I am impressed - this is one speedy e-reader!
The screen looks great too. I think they've done something with the glare problem too.
The two-page landscape format looks really neat.

Well done Sony!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I am VERY unhappy

I bought the 600 because I thought that the 900 would be the same, only slightly bigger. I also thought that the 900 was going to have the soft cover.

But Now....
"It comes with an AC adaptor, leather cover, travel case, USB cable, pre-installed SIM card, stylus, and a user-replaceable rechargeable battery pack..."

Just adding those items to the price of the 600, nevermind the improved quality, and it costs just about the same.

Anyone want to buy an almost new PRS-600 with cover?

THIS IS THE K-Killer. And I don't even care about the wireless.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-26-2009 at 02:59 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
wow...that device is even better than I thought it would be...disappointed in the screen size though, I was hoping for something larger as Sony was intentionally vague if the measurement was for the height not the diagonal. I would hardly call a 7.1" diagonal measurement a "large format" reader. Still I really like the way it works. I am really interested in seeing how well the dual page mode works out for people. That has to really feel like a book.

I like the cover and at the same time, maybe not as the reviewer failed to address how to get it the heck out of the way when using the device in landscape orientation. It would be spiffy if there was something along the lines of a magnetic latch to allow folding it all the way back and out of your way.

I look forward to reading how well people like the touch interface using just a finger rather than one of those gawds awful skinny stylus things...I carry around an Avery Triple Click because it has a built in stylus and is nice and fat so i can hold it with not a lot of pain. Still, I do not want to have to hold a pen in one hand while reading just to navigate easily. I do, however, trust Sony in that area and they will have done things pretty well to allow folks with fat fingers like mine to work the device.

My biggest reluctance when looking at Sony readers is the fact Sony will abandon a device in the blink of an eye...even if people LOVE the device. If it is making a profit, but not enough of a profit, odds are it will be gone within a couple years and these days support seems to evaporate at the same time. And since Sony devices ALL, even the old Clies running PalmOS, have closed and proprietary OS's, there is not a chance for 3rd party support for the hardware and improving features by users & developers.

Speaking of the Clie, I have to wonder of Sony did not "Clie" this new reader right out of the market with the $399 price tag. I don't see, even with the other accessories, that it is a value. I compare to the Clie because the last new Clie, an "N" I dunna remember what comes after the "N", was priced at $899...for a flipping PDA...so that release killed off the Sony PDA division on very short order and by most accounts it was simply due the the price point on entry into the model. I bet if Sony made this device around $325 the would sell 10x more of them over the course of a year...and they can KEEP the AC adapter, I could give a flip as I have plenty of those and can always use USB. The carrying case, again it's nice but I don't see a need for me personally. it has a nice cover sort of built-in it appears which should be good enough. Let me decide to add the other parts as I need to...

Anyway, I did like the comment about the font being more readable...first time I have heard such statement said about a device using an Eink brand panel. It struck me how it was said with such conviction and seemed completely genuine as it not just being an slight improvement if we pixel peep the characters.

Nice first take on the reader...gotta say it is back on my list for now, but not at $399 as it does not bring that much more to the table for what I want...the speed was really impressive for sure!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Looks OK for e-ink (just slow and low-contrast, not slow and low contrast), but I still wonder why Sony couldn't splurge on real italics while they were going all out with their accessories.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote