Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question Can you convert Kindle ebooks to Sony?

I'm just wondering as they have a bigger selection at Amazon of some ebooks that I'd like to read than I can find other places. Is it possible?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
I'm just wondering as they have a bigger selection at Amazon of some ebooks that I'd like to read than I can find other places. Is it possible?
You can download "Kindle for PC" to your computer,(free) then buy any Kindle books you want to read there.

In order to read them on your Sony, you would have to strip drm, which (disclaimer!) is illegal.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
DG - did anyone figure out how to generate a PID from Kindle for PC?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have a Kindle 2, you can strip the DRM from its AZW ebooks using mobidedrm and Calibre can convert DRM-free AZW (MOBI) ebooks to LRF or ePub for a Sony. This is probably legal in the US providing it is only for personal use.

Amazon now has Kindle for PC, but so far the PID used on the PC is a secret and so mobidedrm won't work. So currently you need a Kindle 1/2/DX or an iPhone/touch to liberate AZW ebooks. Note that some Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ ebook format, and these are Kindle-only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
CarolB
Connoisseur

I'm not sure that I understood any of that. Does that mean maybe, under certain circumstances, sometimes?
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
DG - did anyone figure out how to generate a PID from Kindle for PC?
oops. Forgot about that.

So someone would have to be able to find the pid so that the drm could be stripped.

Not "doable" yet.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi CaroIB

Legally: no.
Technically: one of its (Kindle) formats , yes.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Star56
Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.Star56 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle, Sony Psr-300, Sony Psr-505
Carol,

Yes it is really easy to do. BUT it is illegal since you must break DRM.

I converted all my Kindle books for reading on my Sony units. Yes I am a law breaker
Star56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
CarolB
Connoisseur

I didn't realize that kind of thing was illeagal, why don't they just make a universal kind of file so they work on everything? Does it ruin them to change them or make them look different?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
I didn't realize that kind of thing was illeagal, why don't they just make a universal kind of file so they work on everything? Does it ruin them to change them or make them look different?
Well, if you can use your Kindle book on anyone else's reader, then you don't NEED a Kindle, now do you? That's the reason behind Amazon's thinking with the DRM, I reckon... sorta like Fairplay with the iPod, except that Apple's selling DRM-free tracks which only have information embedded into them now instead.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
In fact, untill recently the only way you were allowed to buy eBooks from Amazon was if you had a registred Kindle / iPod-Kindle-app linked to your account. I tried to buy a book from them a few months ago, figuring the DRM would be removable, but without a registred Kindle there was just no way.

Mind you, that's exactly the kind of monopolistic thinking that made me buy a Sony reader instead
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

That's what many of us are hoping and praying for. Epub format seems to be the most likely contender. Sony is switching to Epub in their store in a few weeks and B&N will also be supporting/switching.

In the mean time the only way to do it is to strip the drm off and then convert to a different format. Which as long as it's for personal use I see no problem with.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
This is actually one of the reasons I was looking into a kindle (ended up buying an ipod touch for now).Only thing holding me back now,besides not having had the time to actually figure out how to do it,is maybe either a) getting a kindle or b) getting a nook...although ultimately I think I love my sony for reading (esp for Overdrive libraries),and sometimes I just don't have the time or energy.

Me personally,I would pay more to be able to have something in the format of my choice (although ideally it would be nice if there were a standard and all this extra work weren't necessary !) I also don't see a problem with it being stripped for personal use ....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
The legal issues here are not black and white. At the moment, we have two conflicting laws. The DCMA states you can't monkey around with DRM. However, the Copyright Act gives you the the to make a fair use backup copy. In the case of a DRM'ed electronic copy of book, these laws are not compatible: one gives you the right to make a copy of your book, the other says you can't strip the DRM to do it. However, by not allowing you to make a copy, the DCMA strips you of your rights under the Copyright Act, and thus is "illegal". It is going to take a court decision to sort this out - the judicial branch is going to have to decide what is more important from a Constitutional perspective: the right of a company to arbitrarily lock it's content down or for an individual to do what they want with a piece of property they own. I think you can see from by biased framing of the question which way the judges are likely to lean. So, the DRM players (DVD makers, MP3 sellers, etc.) haven't dared to sue anyone for backing up their content: they don't want a precedent set that will unleash a flood of backups. Right now, the DCMA stands as a threat to copiers, though a toothless threat for individuals.

The short is, yes, according to the DCMA, to buy a Kindle book and strip it of DRM is illegal. However, the Copyright Act gives you permission to do this, so it is also legal. And I think the odds are very good that Amazon isn't going to choose any of us to send this contradiction to the Supreme Court to get sorted out.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
The legal issues here are not black and white. At the moment, we have two conflicting laws. The DCMA states you can't monkey around with DRM. However, the Copyright Act gives you the the to make a fair use backup copy. In the case of a DRM'ed electronic copy of book, these laws are not compatible: one gives you the right to make a copy of your book, the other says you can't strip the DRM to do it. However, by not allowing you to make a copy, the DCMA strips you of your rights under the Copyright Act, and thus is "illegal". It is going to take a court decision to sort this out - the judicial branch is going to have to decide what is more important from a Constitutional perspective: the right of a company to arbitrarily lock it's content down or for an individual to do what they want with a piece of property they own. I think you can see from by biased framing of the question which way the judges are likely to lean. So, the DRM players (DVD makers, MP3 sellers, etc.) haven't dared to sue anyone for backing up their content: they don't want a precedent set that will unleash a flood of backups. Right now, the DCMA stands as a threat to copiers, though a toothless threat for individuals.

The short is, yes, according to the DCMA, to buy a Kindle book and strip it of DRM is illegal. However, the Copyright Act gives you permission to do this, so it is also legal. And I think the odds are very good that Amazon isn't going to choose any of us to send this contradiction to the Supreme Court to get sorted out.
Well, certainly you could make a backup copy with the drm in place. That does not conflict with fair use/backup. The Copyright Act does not take into account DRM at all as far as I know. The two are not in conflict as far as I can tell. I also don't think Copyright explicitly says you are allowed to make a backup copy. Fair use is a different thing (allowing you to quote part of a copyright work) for examples, training, etc. It might also allow full copies to be made for training, but I'm not confident that is the case.

ADDED: Just doing some googling on this and here is what EFF says:
http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php

apparently the "backup" copy is not not clearly allowed or not at this point.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote