Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Sync function

I apologize if this has been covered before of has been implemented already. I am using an older version and will not get the newest one till, well, a month from now at the earliest.
Anyhow, it would be convenient to click a button and have calibre make changes I make to books on the computer get reflected on the reader. The biggest thing for me is if I change the books data (ie author, book name) it can be synched with the reader vice doing it on both.

Hell, even a sync like how iTunes works with the iPod. I add book to library, it gets added to reader, I take it off computer, it goes away from reader.

Thanks,
-Rob
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's what the send to device button does. If the book is already on the reader, it will be replaced with the new version with updated metadata
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simple enough
Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
How about the an automatic sync for downloaded content?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In order to make that robust calibre would need to extract the device serial numbers and doing that in a cross platform way is too much work for the return
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard

So I went and edited information on my library... almost all of them actually since I finally figured out how to get them to sort correctly (only 85 books right now)
Well, I selected them all and clicked send to device. I ended up with a total of 170 books on the device. Ooops. I must have done something wrong eh.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And if you send to device again? DOes the number increase to 155?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

I didnt try that. After I ended up with double the books on the device I removed the books on the device and resend them and now it is good to go. I downloaded pictures of some book covers today so I am going to try to change it on my Mac and then send to device to see if I get 2 copies of the same book again.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard

So I tried it again. I edited the information. Turns out I mislabeled the author. I fixed it and clicked send to device. I ended up with the same book twice. One under the wrong author and the right author...
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

editing title or author will cause book duplication. You can edit any other metadata and it should (the filename of the book on the device is based on title author and db id)
Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard

That explains everything. When my books doubled I think I edited either the title or author on all the books.
Then all I did was add a book cover and clicked send to device I had no doubles.
Awesome!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard

That explains everything. When my books doubled I think I edited either the title or author on all the books.
Then all I did was add a book cover and clicked send to device I had no doubles.
Awesome!