Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Nawpkin
Nawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melonNawpkin knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Kindle
I do all the time, usually I pick shorter ones when I am working but when I am on vacation I'll pick a nice big lengthy book to sit back and enjoy.
Nawpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Back when I was reading paperbacks I used to chose books based on length as well, because I tend to shy away from books that are thicker than my hand. Now that I do all my reading with ebooks, I can't because it's impossible to tell how long a book is because most sites don't specify how long the book is. Now I just base my decisions on synopsis and cover page and description.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Sort of. I have separate genres for short fiction, which includes individual short stories and novellas. They are nice to use as palate cleansers between full-length books, or when I want to read something but don't want to start the next book just yet.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #19
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

I very rarely read anything less than 500 pages. It tends to give time for characters and plots to evolve.

Also, being an adopted Yorkshireman, I like to think that I am getting value for money (or at least quantity for money).

As for those of you who can read a book in one sitting, I take my hat off to you. For one, my eyes don't move that fast, even if I try speed reading techniques. For two, my eyes don't stay open long enough. And for three, if the author has spent months banging away at a keyboard after having spent time developing their ideas, it seems a shame to devour it in one sitting. After all, a barrel of good beer should last for more than one good session!
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I consider the length of the book all the time. I've read door-stoppers that were too short and short-stories that were too long. So I tend to look for a happy medium. I'm looking for books in the 400-600 page range--that have endings.

But I also go on the occasional short-story binge. I'm on one right now... I just can't bring myself to make that novel "commitment" at the moment.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
One of these days I'm going to read a lengthy Russian novel. I'm sure that part of the reason I haven't yet is the length of those tomes.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #22
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been in a bit of a reading funk lately, so I chose a couple shortish books and I'm working my way through them. I tend to prefer Giant Books (or multi-book series), but sometimes I like short books or YA reads as palate cleansers.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I find I read ebooks faster than print ones, so sometimes I'll pick a longer one so as not to feel I'm depleting my supply too quickly.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Actually now that I think back, the bought my first chess book based solely on the number of pages. I figured more pages = more games. It's been through a flood and a bunch of moves, but I still have it around somewhere, slightly wrinkled from water and yellow with age, but I still have it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer long sagas and series. The story won't end that fast that way...

And reading a complete book in one sitting???? There are times where I can hardly read a few pages a day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I've been in a bit of a reading funk lately, so I chose a couple shortish books and I'm working my way through them. I tend to prefer Giant Books (or multi-book series), but sometimes I like short books or YA reads as palate cleansers.
&
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love shorter novels, where usually a single idea drives the narrative. There is a fairly recent string of Philip Roth novels/novellas in the 150-page range. Same for Saul Bellow. A lot of the zing without all the heft.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Occasionally I'll put off reading something for the moment if it's unusually large and I'm just not in the mood to invest in it at the time (like a 900 pager). It's not always about the length of the novel, though; I'll consider density of the material as well. There's 700 page fluff novels, and short works that take a fair amount of mental investment.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #28
Kiwiscott
eReader Noob
Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kobo Mini
Most, if not all, my reading decisions are based on book length. (especially as I'm trying to read 100 books this calendar year)
I tend to pick shorter books from unfamiliar authors, as I dont want to invest too much time in a book I may not enjoy, and will read longer books from 'trusted/liked' authors. I find it difficult to walk away from a book once started, even if its awfull, I will always try and finish it....stupidity, I know.
Since I started keeping track of what I have been reading (I started when I got my ereader) I have also found that I have been choosing shorter books than previously, mostly 200-300 pages, and I think its because I like to see my list of 'read' books growing, rather than stagnating as I plow thru a 1000 pager.
I think next year I wont publish my list anywhere, and start a few of the doorstop volumes I have gathering dust.
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #29
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiscott View Post
Most, if not all, my reading decisions are based on book length. (especially as I'm trying to read 100 books this calendar year)
(snip)
I think next year I wont publish my list anywhere, and start a few of the doorstop volumes I have gathering dust.
Same here. What I've decided to do is, using this year's totals as a guide, set a goal for total pages next year instead of book count. This year it's a lot of fun watching the list grow and, because I'm reading mostly 170-300pg books, I'm trying new things and finding some great authors I didn't know about before. But I have some rather large tomes from favorite authors I would like to read, so that's what next year will be for.

I'll probably still publish my list on Goodreads next year, just because I'm having so much fun in the MR challenge group over there.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #30
Kiwiscott
eReader Noob
Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Same here. What I've decided to do is, using this year's totals as a guide, set a goal for total pages next year instead of book count. .
Thats a good idea. Maybe something in the 30-40,000 area, but it doesnt quite have the same ring to it does it....
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote