Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Command line - HOW?

I have looked in the forumn and on the calibre site and haven't been able to find this answer so please forgive me if it has been posted already.

Frequently when there is an issue with something not working right in Calibre we are directed to run from the command line instead of the GUI. How do you do this? The calibre site gives the commands but doesn't say what software you're in to do this. Is it the windows command prompt or something in python or something else? There are plenty examples on mobileread of people doing command line activities but they don't specify how to get started.

Sometime since December my file type plugins have stopped working. I've checked the blog that deals with those and reloaded all the updated plugins but still no luck. In order to get help I need to add a book using the command line but I don't know how.

Could someone please give step by step directions?

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Sometime since December my file type plugins have stopped working. I've checked the blog that deals with those and reloaded all the updated plugins but still no luck. In order to get help I need to add a book using the command line but I don't know how.

Thanks.
Assuming you are on Windows, simply search the web for instructions on how to get to a command line prompt.

Here is one example page:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nd-prompt.html

If you have older versions of Windows you can also simply go to the Start menu and use the "run" command and enter in cmd.exe

As for your plugin issue, my guess is you have multiple versions of the same file type plugins installed at the same time (one older and one newer). Simply use Calibre to go to Preferences->Plugins and then hit the triangle beside "File Type Plugins" to see a complete list of all of your installed file-type plugins. Highlight any old ones and use the buttons to remove the older versions. Don't forget to hit "Apply" before exiting.

Also, if Calibre already has a copy of the book in its library and you want to import a copy via the File Type Plugin instead, you will need to remove the earlier /older version of the ebook from the Calibre Library first before trying to import it again.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I have looked in the forumn and on the calibre site and haven't been able to find this answer so please forgive me if it has been posted already.

Frequently when there is an issue with something not working right in Calibre we are directed to run from the command line instead of the GUI. How do you do this? The calibre site gives the commands but doesn't say what software you're in to do this. Is it the windows command prompt or something in python or something else? There are plenty examples on mobileread of people doing command line activities but they don't specify how to get started.

Thanks.
Yes! use the Windows Command prompt (or Linux terminal if you do Linux ) Issue the command exactly as Kovid (or other Calibre Guru) says to. Many solutions to problems are not in the manual

MAC Users must do additional steps to install the command- line tools (see the top of help page) http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/cli/cli-index.html
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to both of you. I've used the windows command prompt at work so I know how to get there. I just wasn't sure that's what was being discussed.

I have removed all the plugins as directed above and reimported all the new ones again. It did save my customizations though so I'm not sure they were removed completely.

Do I need to be in the Calibre directory or can I run directly from C:\ ?

Last edited by bookfanmd; 04-04-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
You can run from C:\, if you wish. Calibre adds itself to the Windows path. You can convert or run the viewer in any directory. (Those are the two things I run most often from different directories.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks to both of you. I've used the windows command prompt at work so I know how to get there. I just wasn't sure that's what was being discussed.

I have removed all the plugins as directed above and reimported all the new ones again. It did save my customizations though so I'm not sure they were removed completely.

Anywhere (usually Windows defaults to you user area)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, as long as you hit "Apply" the plugins will be removed but the "Customizations" stay. So when you load a new file type plugin (upgraded from a previous version), it should inherit the proper "Customization" information (but you can double-check that manually to be sure).
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
bookfanmd
Addict

Thanks again. I'll try this evening when I get home. I'd really like to get this feature working again.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Don't forget to include the full path to your ebook in the calibredb add command.

If you cd to where you have the book (or put a copy of it someplace easy to access (like your Desktop) and then cd there, you can simply run

calibredb add BOOK.epub

otherwise you have to add the path from your current directory to where the book is located:

calibredb add \YOUR\PATH\TO\EBOOK\YOUREBOOK.azw
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
bookfanmd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Don't forget to include the full path to your ebook in the calibredb add command.

If you cd to where you have the book (or put a copy of it someplace easy to access (like your Desktop) and then cd there, you can simply run

calibredb add BOOK.epub

otherwise you have to add the path from your current directory to where the book is located:

calibredb add \YOUR\PATH\TO\EBOOK\YOUREBOOK.azw

Good to know. I'll put it on the desktop first. Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
bookfanmd
Addict

Thanks again for the help. I got everything working again. User error I had an extra space in one plugin's customization and an old (and I thought unrelated) plugin not removed was causing a newer one to fail.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I am trying to add a book using the command prompt and get the following error: "calibredb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Operating system is Windows 7.

I'm replying to an old thread because it was so difficult to find out how to "open a command prompt" and this was the only thread I found that answered that question. It would be nice if there were a sticky thread covering this question.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I am trying to add a book using the command prompt and get the following error: "calibredb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Operating system is Windows 7.

I'm replying to an old thread because it was so difficult to find out how to "open a command prompt" and this was the only thread I found that answered that question. It would be nice if there were a sticky thread covering this question.
Did you install Calibre or are you running on Calibre Portable?

Type into a command window (mistakenly called a DOS Window): calibredb<enter>
You should see a list of command arguments
(works on W7HP, Calibre 64 bit)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you install Calibre or are you running on Calibre Portable?

Type into a command window (mistakenly called a DOS Window): calibredb<enter>
You should see a list of command arguments
(works on W7HP, Calibre 64 bit)
Calibre is installed. Get the same error message. Command line prompt is at the user level if that helps.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Calibre is installed. Get the same error message. Command line prompt is at the user level if that helps.
All I did was open a Command Window

Note the results from my typo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreCmd.png
Views:	366
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	99267