Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Question about <replacement> Kindles

Hi,

I've just talked to Amazon and they wanted to replace my Kindle for the fading letters. though my new Kindle is going to come first, before returning this one I'm still feeling emotionally attached to this one.

My question is, Has anyone noticed the fading letters on their replacement Kindle?
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
nope, I sent mine back due to fading letters. the new one I got has no sign of the letters fading, but the power switch is sticky!
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

lol, I guess I need to 'transplant' the power switch between them. hmm...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
jdspencer
jdspencer began at the beginning.

This raises the question on how many times Amazon will replace the Kindles for this problem?
jdspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
my replacement has a very "sticky" or rather "hard" power switch too!

very annoying when I need to turn it back on. I don't know if it's worth getting replaced again.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
-walsh-
Enthusiast
-walsh- began at the beginning.

its annoying yes, but its better than the fading screen so I can put up with it!
-walsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
ski_power
Book eater

@walsh: What screen fading? I'm unaware of such an issue?

My kindle 3 has a relatively loose right next page button, but that's fine. It just makes it easier for me to press while I'm on my bed
Old 10-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
The bezel on mine has started separating from the screen. Rotten timing as I'm just about to go on holiday for a week. It'll have to wait until I get back.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Stephenb,

Similar here - not a lot but you can notice it. I wonder if they forgot about testing their glue/2-sided-tape in 'warmer' weather.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

My first one had a little corner of the "Y" letter come off. I had it replaced (due to another issue) and this one seems to be fine.

The keys feel like they have a different texture though - like much rougher or grittier under the fingers compared to my first one. Perhaps they have put a different coating on as a fix? Anyone else notice this?
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
ski_power
Book eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
The bezel on mine has started separating from the screen. Rotten timing as I'm just about to go on holiday for a week. It'll have to wait until I get back.
You could still call up Amazon. They send it through one day shipping.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
stephenb
stephenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
You could still call up Amazon. They send it through one day shipping.
It's got to come to New Zealand, which generally takes about 4 days.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
So if you call them up now it will be there when you get back from vacation. Sounds like a plan to me.

Some one on Kindleboards went through 9 Kindles before one worked. Sun fade was a killer on the K2.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
The bezel on mine has started separating from the screen.
I've noticed that on mine, too. Cat hairs and fuzz get trapped there! I was waiting to see if it would worsen before I decided what to do about it.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
jdspencer
jdspencer began at the beginning.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but saw no reason to start a new one.

I just received a replacement for my K3 with fading keys.
Called yesterday and received it today. Now that's great service.

Successfully updated the firmware and added the books.
The power switch is not sticky.

I'm wondering if I should be worried that this replacement will also suffer from the problem of fading keys since its serial number is lower than the first one? I mentioned this to Carlos the CSR and he indicated that I'd just call and get a replacement. He also, indicated that I don't need to de-register the original one before sending it back. Does this sound right to you?
jdspencer is offline   Reply With Quote