Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
15 Gadgets That Changed Everything This Decade

Amazon Kindle made the list.
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...w-dont-miss-16

(I own/owned 11 of the 15 listed..wtf )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How can anyone know what gadgets will change "this decade" when it still has another year to go?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can anyone know what gadgets will change "this decade" when it still has another year to go?
Not that old chestnut again! I know that you are absolutely correct, but in reality, virtually everybody celebrates these things when the year rolls over from '9 to '0, not from '0 to '1.

Personally, I blame Prince. He originally wrote the line 'Party like it's 2000', but then realised way more things rhymed with 'nine' so changed it
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
While it's probably due to them ignoring the 9/0 thing, it might be that something would take longer than a year to make it onto that list.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Well if you think about it this way 1990 wasn't part of the eighties. So in effect 2010 won't be part of what people refer to as the 'noughties'.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True - it does depend what decade you're talking about; the "naugties" or "the 1st decade of the 21st century" .

FWIW, I'm obviously seriously "uncool", only having owned 4 of the gadgets (iPod, Garmin GPS, USB stick, and Kindle).

Last edited by HarryT; 12-10-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Amazon Kindle made the list.
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-d...w-dont-miss-16

(I own/owned 11 of the 15 listed..wtf )
I owned or have owned 8 of the 15. And if the iPod Touch sort of counts toward the iPhone, I'm at 9 (maybe 8 1/2). I'm so hot on your trail.

Edit: My List

Razr (just sold on eBay)
Flip Camera (won in a raffle)
Wii
Kindle 1 and 2
USB Thumb drives (a bajillion of them)
TiVo (2 actual TiVos)
Samsung Flat Screen (recently purchased)
Video iPod
iPod Touch

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-10-2009 at 09:55 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

9/15 for me if I 'de-Americanise' the list (i.e. there was no point me buying a Kindle in the UK, so I've counted my Sony Reader; TIVO doesn't exist in the UK, but Sky Plus or Sky HD do the same thing so I've counted that).
Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
9/15 for me if I 'de-Americanise' the list (i.e. there was no point me buying a Kindle in the UK, so I've counted my Sony Reader; TIVO doesn't exist in the UK, but Sky Plus or Sky HD do the same thing so I've counted that).
That's cheating. My count would be doubled if I'd not only counted the specific models listed . Eg, I have a digital SLR, but I didn't buy a Nikon D1. I have a flatscreen TV, but not a Samsung one.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
That's cheating. My count would be doubled if I'd not only counted the specific models listed . Eg, I have a digital SLR, but I didn't buy a Nikon D1. I have a flatscreen TV, but not a Samsung one.
OK - 7 then (although I too own a digital SLR but not the Nikon D1 and I didn't count that).

Still 3 more than you
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Going strictly off the list, I own 2 items. A Sony Play Station 2 and a USB drive.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Still 3 more than you
You're obviously way cooler than me .
Old 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
by brand, 1 out of 15, brandless 3 out of 15...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
You're obviously way cooler than me .
Well, according to my kids, I am "the uncoolest man in the world", so I guess gadget ownership isn't the only criterion available.

Also, it is possible (just possible) that owning gadgets isn't cool at all! Which would make you the coolest person to respond to this thread so far
Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
"The one who has most gadgets when he dies wins!"
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote