Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
formatting SmartMedia card in REB1100

I recently loaded a corrupt file into the 64MB SmartMedia card in my REB1100. When I booted up the REB, it would start reading the books on the card, but when it got to the corrupted book the REB would shut down automatically and reboot. It would continue to do this over and over until I told it to "cancel" reading the books on the card.

I plugged my card into a "ZiO!" USB reader and manually deleted the bad file, and it started giving me error messages about not being able to read all the files on the card. It also acted as though the card was full, not allowing me to load as many books into it asit could previously hold.

I reformatted it in FAT format, using the USB reader. When I plugged it back into the REB1100, I got a message saying the card was corrupted and needed to be fixed, and that fixing it could take several minutes (which it did). Now the REB recognizes that the card is there, and shows that it has 65,536K on the card (with 63,952K free), but I can't seem to load books onto it through the USB cable using Ebook Librarian, like I could before I loaded that last bad file (BTW, it was Project Gutenberg's "Aventures of Sherlock Holmes").

Is there a way to format the card using the REB itself, or is it more than likely shot?
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKnack View Post
Is there a way to format the card using the REB itself, or is it more than likely shot?
To format your SmartMedia card when in your reader, just select the (main) book menu and choose "About Your eBook" and then tap the "Details" button. Now tap the "Format card" button to wipe out your SM card.

The software that communicates with the REB1100 is eBook Librarian by Gemstar. It too can reformat your reader's internal SM card, that is, if your USB driver is working. Select under the "Settings" menu where it says "ebook < your eBook ID >" and note under the "Misc" tab it says "Format eBook...". This is another way to format the SM card.

EDIT: ensure you HAVE a SM card installed before you try this (just to be safe)

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-05-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Note: ensure you HAVE a SM card installed before you try this
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
RKnack
Enthusiast

Hmmm... I don't have a "format card" button when I push "details", even though it shows the card is there. I REALLY don't trust the "format ebook" option on Ebook Librarian. I did it once accidentally and it killed my first REB - nothing but the dreaded "grid screen" and no amount of using the published "fixes" would rescussitate it. Thankfully, I found another one, NIB, for cheap.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKnack View Post
Hmmm... I don't have a "format card" button when I push "details", even though it shows the card is there.
Perhaps it doesn't recognise the SM card. How much memory do the meters say you have in your eBook (both On eBook: and On Card:)?

On second thought, it looks like you may have older firmware in that NIB REB1100 and thus don't have that option. I found two images which should be familiar to you, however, for me the second one has the "Format Card" button as well as info about the Memory "On Card".

BTW, images courtesy of this helpful website.

Quote:
I REALLY don't trust the "format ebook" option on Ebook Librarian. I did it once accidentally and it killed my first REB - nothing but the dreaded "grid screen" and no amount of using the published "fixes" would rescussitate it. Thankfully, I found another one, NIB, for cheap.
Ouch, I'm not trying that option anytime soon. Please disregard those instructions!

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-04-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: only newer firmware has option to "Format Card"
Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
RKnack
Enthusiast

I took the plunge and reformatted my card using Ebook Librarian (before I read the above post). I think the problem I ran into last time is I didn't have a card in my other REB, and it reformatted the entire ebook, and for some reason the standard published "fixes" to re-load the software wouldn't "take" in the memory. Reformatting the card alone, though, worked - sort of. I STILL can't load books into it via the USB cable (I CAN, however, use that method to load books into the internal memory). With the card reformatted with EL, I can put the card into my USB reader and load books into it that way, and when I insert the card back into the REB it recognizes and will read the books on it. A bit more cumbersome that way, but at least it works.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
nrapallo

Strange, so you still don't have the option to format the SM card from within your ebook?

Here are some pictures of my REB1000 with the latest firmware (2.0.305) and that "Format Card" button. What firmware do you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1100_About Your eBook.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	40748   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1100_Format_Card.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	40749  
Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
RKnack
Enthusiast

I can get it to FORMAT in the REB, using EBook Librarian. I just can't get it to take new ebooks while it is in the REB, via the USB cable. I have to load new books onto the card using my ZiO! USB reader/writer, then put the card back into the REB.

I have tried upgrading the firmware on my REB to the latest 2.0.305 version (right now it's 2.0.225), but for some reason it doesn't "take". Any suggestions?