Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
South Carolina scientist works to grow meat in lab

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (Reuters) – In a small laboratory on an upper floor of the basic science building at the Medical University of South Carolina, Vladimir Mironov, M.D., Ph.D., has been working for a decade to grow meat.

Rest here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110130/...ratory_feature
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Maybe that explains why pork is so cheap in Denmark, and yet one never sees pigs!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Maybe that explains why pork is so cheap in Denmark, and yet one never sees pigs!

Or maybe that's LONG Pork...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think if the Danish were eating long pig, we'd know about it.

I've postulated grown meat in a number of my books... given the wastefulness and cruelty of present meat production, I think it will be the future of meat products.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I already thought they were growing meat in a lab. How else do you explain this?

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Tastes like chicken...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
I can't quite bring myself to eat red meat because I've loved my pets of various species so much, and think that there probably isn't that much different between my beloved dog and a pig, but for circumstances and social perception.
I could easily get behind lab-created meat. It'd be grown in controlled, sanitary conditions and cruelty-free. That sounds pretty good.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
I've loved my pets of various species so much, and think that there probably isn't that much different between my beloved dog and a pig.
There isn't much difference between a dog and a pig. Pigs are probably as intelligent, and can be trained like dogs (even house trained).

Sheep and Cattle, however, are pretty stupid animals.

But I'm all for lab-grown meat. It's probably the only way we'll be able to grow enough meat to meet demand without ruining the planet, as well as being less cruel.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Be leery if this cultured meat is green.

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Be leery if this cultured meat is green.
i've finally remembered a really good short story that's appropriate to this thread.

The Food of the Gods by Arthur C Clarke (not Asimov!)

It's a government committee meeting, to discuss a new food product, "Ambrosia", that's been launched recently, and which has taken the market by storm.

Spoiler:
Cultured meat is now common. So common, most people have forgotten that it used to come from living animals. The very idea of eating the flesh of once-living animals is now disgusting, so even though most cultured meats on sale are actually patterned after the meat from specific animals — cows, sheep, pigs, etc. — the brand names do not reflect this, to hide the origin from sensitive consumers.

At first no-one has any idea why the new product is so popular. On analysis, it's simply mammalian meat, like beef or mutton. But the government analysts have now made an unsettling discovery. So they have to introduce the committee to another archaic and almost forgotten word, which they spell out to reduce the shock...

Spoiler:
C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
i've finally remembered a really good short story that's appropriate to this thread.

The Food of the Gods by Arthur C Clarke (not Asimov!)

It's a government committee meeting, to discuss a new food product, "Ambrosia", that's been launched recently, and which has taken the market by storm.

Spoiler:
Cultured meat is now common. So common, most people have forgotten that it used to come from living animals. The very idea of eating the flesh of once-living animals is now disgusting, so even though most cultured meats on sale are actually patterned after the meat from specific animals — cows, sheep, pigs, etc. — the brand names do not reflect this, to hide the origin from sensitive consumers.

At first no-one has any idea why the new product is so popular. On analysis, it's simply mammalian meat, like beef or mutton. But the government analysts have now made an unsettling discovery. So they have to introduce the committee to another archaic and almost forgotten word, which they spell out to reduce the shock...

Spoiler:
C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L
I just read it - great story!
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote