Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Having both the Kindle 3 and DXG, one feature I would lik eto see on the DXG that the Kindle 3 has for reading PDFs is contrast. This works quite well for "lighter" documents and makes them readable. The contrast makes the "ink" lighter or darker, so until I have a PDF that contains scanned images, I can't say whether it would help with that.

I have not yet found a PDF that either Kindle couldn't render. My use of PDFs is largely sheet music, and the DXG is certainly better for that due to the size of its screen.

Tony
and Kindle 3 can read pdf with password users, K-DX-G can not open that files.

webkit www is more fast on k3 too...

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-29-2010 at 10:16 PM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #32
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
as noticed from previous post, I think there is big possibility they will release with lending function. let's pray for it.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #33
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterw View Post
as noticed from previous post, I think there is big possibility they will release with lending function. let's pray for it.
I don't think God and Amazon talk all that much. Asking Amazon directly might be more effective.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #34
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
I just suggest that we send a group email to Amazon's CEO to push them update the firmware.

As I know, Kindle 3 and DXG have almost same hardware, it is not hard to port the firmware from K3 to DXG! they shared 99% code.
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Any idea what is timeline for next hardware DX?
rpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
I just suggest that we send a group email to Amazon's CEO to push them update the firmware.

As I know, Kindle 3 and DXG have almost same hardware, it is not hard to port the firmware from K3 to DXG! they shared 99% code.
I thought the hardware was more similar to the K2, especially given the lack of wifi and the update page from Amazon has both the DX and K2 firmware updates listed on the same page (next generation has its own page).

Personally I am guessing that Amazon will release a wifi DX (hopefully with page turn buttons on the left as well) at some point in the near future, but that is only a guess.....and perhaps a slight wish.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #37
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post

Personally I am guessing that Amazon will release a wifi DX (hopefully with page turn buttons on the left as well) at some point in the near future, but that is only a guess.....and perhaps a slight wish.
the DX graphite was only released a matter of months ago, why would they release another DX in such a short space of time? the screen is identical to the K3 and the only differences people are requesting are software related.

have some patience folks...amazon will update the software soon. there's no reason at all for the DX series not to get the K3 updates.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #38
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
have some patience folks...amazon will update the software soon. there's no reason at all for the DX series not to get the K3 updates.
There is...they just concentrate on K3 (next FW just on the horizon 3.03) and ignore the DX. Someone wrote in another thread he called Amazon mid 2010 and asked about new firmware. After a while they came back with within a few week or months. Now it's end of 2010. K3 got a few fw since then.
Maybe they don't care as more people buy K3 than DX.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #39
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hmm... I would not return the DX because this issue only ;-) .... this is a software problem more than hardware. Sooner or later will be fixed and we're probably talking about months, instead of years. So, I don't think it's a big deal.

DX is slower and acts different than my regular Kindle 3, but I can tolerate it, even for my PDFs.

I sent the email though!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #40
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I sent the email though!
Doesn't hurt you....it's like asking a question : It's free
Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Doesn't hurt you....it's like asking a question : It's free
No, does not hurt at all! Actually, it's a good idea, I sent it too.

My comment is for those that are planning to return the DX just because that. I think a bit of patience would be better, just my opinion.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #42
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
There is...they just concentrate on K3 (next FW just on the horizon 3.03) and ignore the DX. Someone wrote in another thread he called Amazon mid 2010 and asked about new firmware. After a while they came back with within a few week or months. Now it's end of 2010. K3 got a few fw since then.
Maybe they don't care as more people buy K3 than DX.
all Kindles are getting a firmware update this year to allow the new book lending feature, and nowhere did amazon say this was K3 only. therefore the DX graphite will receive an update in a matter of days or weeks.

looking on the positive side i would guess they will take this opportunity to implement the K3 pdf features on the DX. they have to update the software anyway so it makes sense.

if amazon fail to update the DX in line with the promised Kindle book lending updates i will be as annoyed as you and they'll likely piss off their entire DX customer base.....that's why that won't happen.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #43
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
if amazon fail to update the DX in line with the promised Kindle book lending updates i will be as annoyed as you and they'll likely piss off their entire DX customer base.....that's why that won't happen.
Hopefully, but are you sure

You know. Sometimes sh** happens.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #44
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
You (and others) already purchased the device. They have you locked in. You have to keep buying your books from them, or buy a non-Kindle eReader.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #45
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
My relationship with my DXG is equal parts love and frustration. Since the initial DX launch (do you remember that they made a big deal about it being the first Kindle with PDF support?), owners have complained about its barebones approach to PDF support. Sadly, except for inadequate zoom presets, there haven't been any real enhancements to DX's PDF features. It seems that Amazon is ignoring the feedback.

Although I squee with glee when I win Kindle Scrabble, I'd be truly overjoyed if Amazon deployed more core features instead of making Kindle into a social networking and monochrome gaming device that also handles e-books. I don't mind if other people use their Kindles like a toy; to each their own. My worry is that Amazon seems to be focusing on soft features while neglecting to enhance Kindle's usefulness as a tool. It can do both.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote