Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
jetBook MINI Real LEAK?!

Found this post by Kris777, the jetBook MINI is actually real!!!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96920
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
what is the price for jetBook mini? I didnt' find any information on jetbook website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I wish Aluratek would be as devoted to it's ereader line as Ectaco is to the jetBook line... It would be really nice to see more monochrome TFT readers available.

I can't wait for the price to be announced for the Mini!

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 09-01-2010 at 05:13 PM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
what is the price for jetBook mini? I didnt' find any information on jetbook website.
there an ongoing discussion about it on your thread now lol

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96920
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
I wish Aluratek would be as devoted to it's ereader line as Ectaco is to the jetBook line... It would be really nice to see more monochrome TFT readers available.

I can't wait for the price to be announced for the Mini!
shoulda, woulda, coulda, my friend's battery was shot on the alluratech and they wouldnt replace it for her. they said the replacement would cost $120 which is the cost of the device already!

talked her into a jetbook lol

plus jetbooks firmware updates show they actually care so im gonna stick with them.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
shoulda, woulda, coulda, my friend's battery was shot on the alluratech and they wouldnt replace it for her. they said the replacement would cost $120 which is the cost of the device already!
I contacted Aluratek about getting my screen fixed (I dropped my Libre and now on the left hand ~1/4" of the screen, every other pixel, all the way up and down it, are dead. Still quite usable, I just wanted to see if I could get it fixed cheaply.) and they told me I could get a replacement unit (they don't have a repair program) for $100 which was (at the time) $20 less than the cheapest price and I would get to keep the original unit. Not low enough for me to get another (I can't justify that much when I don't really need it), but better than what your friend was offered.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
I contacted Aluratek about getting my screen fixed (I dropped my Libre and now on the left hand ~1/4" of the screen, every other pixel, all the way up and down it, are dead. Still quite usable, I just wanted to see if I could get it fixed cheaply.) and they told me I could get a replacement unit (they don't have a repair program) for $100 which was (at the time) $20 less than the cheapest price and I would get to keep the original unit. Not low enough for me to get another (I can't justify that much when I don't really need it), but better than what your friend was offered.
That is weird... I mean, I can see your situation. No manufacturer should be held liable for physical damage done to their product by accident. A prematurely failed battery on the other hand is something I think they should want to take care of if they want repeat customers.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Flyingredgoat
Flyingredgoat is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook mini / Handspring Visor
It's here, well almost.

Ectaco is taking pre-orders.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetbook-mini-yellow/

frg
Flyingredgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Jerry of Ectaco responded to my comments on the Ectaco board last night, and said that the Mini will be released Oct.1.

http://www.ectaco.co.uk/ectaco-posts/list/15/20081.page
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Aside from zipping for ePub, fb2 is no less complex a format than XHTML. I'd rather see decent (unzipped) XHTML and CSS than FB2. And text as a promoted format is insane. What is this, 1992? Am I hand-typing my books into edlin?

A different, more sophisticated market segment? We're the ones that know better. A ten-year old eBookMan can do better than this. And it has back-lighting. And was made by Ectaco.

Weaselly, marketer-drivel, pseudo-truthiness.

I really, really hate being patronized. The fact that they obviously took some care with the hardware design does not mean we (or at least I) should pretend to fall for this "it's a feature, not a bug" crap -- they took firmware shortcuts, either for monetary or internal political reasons.

Being excellent is not just doing one part right and pointing at that while dancing and hand-waving.

At least they're making noises about firmware updates. I want desperately to buy one of these for the ergonomics, but there is no chance that will happen until they smarten the f* up.

Quote:
When i asked one of our managers why the format support was just these he said in so many words "we are marketing this towards a different crowd, people that are more experienced with eBooks and eReaders like those on the mobileread forum"
My achin' a--. Ask a manager? That's like asking a used-car salesman why there's oil under the car. "We put that there to see if there was a water leak. You know the science, oil and water don't mix, so it floats right the top."

It's half suck-up and half rationalization and all BS.

Last edited by capidamonte; 09-21-2010 at 05:30 AM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I wasn't too pleased with Jerry's remark that I could use the same SD card, I would just have to reformat all the books!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I wasn't too pleased with Jerry's remark that I could use the same SD card, I would just have to reformat all the books!
I can understand your frustration (since I am equally unhappy about the lack of ePub support and have written them an email to tell them so!). That being said, I think in this case, he might have simply been trying to answer the question as truthfully as possible.

--
Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Aside from zipping for ePub, fb2 is no less complex a format than XHTML. I'd rather see decent (unzipped) XHTML and CSS than FB2. And text as a promoted format is insane. What is this,
Actually, I can see the point of having good support for text since many of the books that get read on the Jetbooks are probably PG books. Granted though, most of those now have ePubs available.

I think they should work on getting the firmware to support ePub, if nothing else.. and preferably with some sort of DRM support as well.

--
Bill
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
<edit>

Last edited by jblitereader; 03-23-2011 at 02:28 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Russell I agree, my currently library is over 17000 books converted mostly to .rtf. Now I'm supposed to reconvert my entire library? LOL guess again.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook, jetbook mini, sony prs 350